MSU Post Game Thread

KDB

Every year we here how deep this team is going to be and wondering how we will distribute minutes. Every year we find out we have little depth and get nothing from the bench.

Going to be interesting to see who comes back next year and who might transfer.  Also wonder if Woodson will change the offense next year by not playing just through the post. When he coached the Knicks they broke a NBA record for the most 3 pointers made and shot.

• Like 5

I think most of us knew 0-2 was a realistic possibility for this week. But to start off so well,  but run out of gas because the bench was so so ineffective is frustrating nonetheless. 
Hate Sciotto 

Hate Bilas

Hate 9:15 games. 
Hopefully XJ comes back in time to make an impact.

Right now, my real concerns are JG, TB, and somewhat Reneau. No growth.

on to the next one.

• Like 6

Just now, BGleas said:

Going to be really difficult moving forward if we continue to get nothing from the bench. 

I guess a positive is that there are some real "regroup" things Woodson can lean into heading into Saturday. 

Usually play better at home. I guess you would be good to ask this question. Why does it seem like role players play so much better at home. It isn't just an IU thing but see it all over college basketball.

It was going to be almost impossible to walk out of there with a win. Even when we got it to 5 it seemed like it was 10. TJD and others were just gassed, early. 

That’s not the IU we have been used to seeing and praising lately. We’ll be ok. No one expects us to beat Purdue Saturday, so what do we have to lose? Go up their to Mackey and try to steal a win. We need rest and try to get that dbbl bye. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Going to be really difficult moving forward if we continue to get nothing from the bench. 

I guess a positive is that there are some real "regroup" things Woodson can lean into heading into Saturday. 

An argument could be made that Banks deserved more meaningful minutes than he got tonight.  Came in the first half, showed good effort & energy, and then doesn't get in during the second half until garbage time.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 8

Not our best night, pretty disappointing. Was always going to be tough with the circumstances, but we didn't make it any easier on ourselves.

Trayce looks tired, not sure how to help that at this point in the season. He's not going to get rest against Purdue, but maybe we can sneak him some rest those last two home games and in an early BTT matchup? Maybe an early BTT loss to let him rest before the NCAAT isn't the worlds worst thing....

We need X back, bad. It would help Jalen tremendously in almost every way to have a senior guard to take the load off of him. At one point I think a lot of us, myself included, felt like you'd still have to give Jalen the ball but as the season has progressed I think I'd prefer to see X as your primary ball handler. That will obviously be very fluid when they're playing together anyway, but I'd rather see Jalen focused on his offense and scoring.

We are not a deep team, at all. Especially away from Assembly Hall.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

With the way IU gets it’s production, I just don’t think we’ll win many games when TJD plays that poorly. He’s been so consistently good that it was easy to take for granted, but that shows what happens when he has a bad game.

I also think it’s time to give someone else a chance in lieu of Bates. I’d like to see Banks and/or Gunn get some of his minutes to see what they can provide.

• Like 3

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Dreadful all around. Don’t think we have much of a chance Sat. Just win both remaining home games, finish 12-8 and hopefully snag a double bye. We do that, regardless of what happens in the Big10 tournament we’ll be somewhere from a 4-6 which I’ll be satisfied with. 

We were the top 4 seed before we beat Illinois (with what the committee released), so if we win those last two home games I can't see us falling off of the 4 line. Other teams are going to lose games too. 

• Like 2

Just now, MSHoosier said:

My only thought is when MSU is allowed to go over Trayce's back for the halftime tip-in, but every defensive rebound we get is a foul, you are not going to look good

Refs sucked but I don't think that's really a factor in why we lost tonight, just didn't have it.

Was going to take a herculean effort with all the external factors and we didn't bring that. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Usually play better at home. I guess you would be good to ask this question. Why does it seem like role players play so much better at home. It isn't just an IU thing but see it all over college basketball.

I guess part of it is that role players don't get a lot of opportunities. Role players don't get to work themselves into a game. 

TJD can miss his first 4 shots but knows he has 12-15+ more attempts to get going. 

A guy like Bates might only get 1-3 or so shot attempts, so there is that much more pressure for him personally to make them go down so he can get into a rhythm and not get yanked. 

Just using Bates as an example. But, those things just get exasperated on the road. 

• Like 1

So saw somewhere that Big Ten teams are 7-26 on the road in February.  Does anyone really believe that many teams are that better at home?  I don't.  It is how games are called.  

This league is good for money but the actual product has a bit of WWE feel to it.  The whole "Spartan Strong" stuff...just feels like a production so often.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The macro issue of this is that we were expecting (and told as much) that big jumps were being made from players like Bates…and yet we continue to get piss poor performances from him and others on the bench.