Iowa Post game

ButlerHoosier

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

If I'm the boys after laying an egg like that last night, I would want to go to the gym and work out in some way or fashion, even though there's no scheduled practice today..... That's just me.

So my niece is down at IU and she is one of those exercise/borderline eating disorder types. Anyway she was out running at 6am this morning and she said parking lot in front of Cook/Assembly had more cars than normal. My guess is the team was in very early for film and work. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So my niece is down at IU and she is one of those exercise/borderline eating disorder types. Anyway she was out running at 6am this morning and she said parking lot in front of Cook/Assembly had more cars than normal. My guess is the team was in very early for film and work. 

In his post gamer, Woody said they'd have the day off today...Maybe the players showing some diligence? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

He will have to get clearance from the NC2A for that to happen. XJ is 9 minutes over for red shirt....

Do you or does anybody know the exact rule? I keep seeing 30%. Is it 30% of all games? Or 30% of regular season only? Here's my only thought. If we think there is a real chance of him coming back and getting that approved....would we as a macro view of the program be better off to not have him play and try to get 6 more games in for team between Michigan and both tourneys? He has 11 games so we need 36 or 37 games right?

Or if we know he's gone (which is fine) maybe we just take the very best 12-15 minutes he can give us the rest of the way and go for that deep run. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

In his post gamer, Woody said they'd have the day off today...Maybe the players showing some diligence? 

That's what confused me. I thought he said that but maybe some of the players took it upon themselves? Or maybe it's the womens team. She just said there were a lot more cars than normal over there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what confused me. I thought he said that but maybe some of the players took it upon themselves? Or maybe it's the womens team. She just said there were a lot more cars than normal over there.

I'm hoping for the former (knowing how much @btownqbloves that phrase :) )

• Like 3

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We as a fan base just don't handle the ebs and flows of the season.  We are super high after the Purdue game and winning 10-14. We are all super excited and thinking of a 3 seed and making a long run.  Now after a pathetic performance we think we are in a free fall and won't win another game.

We're a passionate fan base and we can't help it. We're the kind of fans that after a big win give our wives an extra minute. 🤣

image.png

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

With good reason.

- We're losing our entire preseason starting 5.

- Outside of Galloway, our non-freshman returning players are doing nothing ... remember late last year and before the season started this year, when we were talking about Geronimo taking minutes from Race, or finding a way to get him more time? I've honestly forgotten about him, because I rarely see him unless he's standing on the sidelines. Bates has been pretty terrible since mid January. Leal rarely gets on the court. Duncomb? And so forth.

- Our best returning ball handler is ... Trey Galloway. Now, I think Trey is a terrific player, but I don't think that's an ideal situation.

- I'm not all that familiar with recruiting overall, and completely understand that rankings aren't everything, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of IU commits on that top 100 list.

- Odds are we're going to lose at least 1 of those returning guys to the portal. 

- Woody's going to have to hit the portal hard, and we're going to have a group of guys who have never stepped on the court with each other, and all the trials and tribulations that come along with that.

In short, buckle up, because it could get bumpy very, very soon.

IMO it makes 0 sense to talk about next year's team when this season is still going on, and we have no idea what the roster will even look like. Last year's Illinois team would be a good comp to this year's IU team. They were a 4 seed who lost their entire starting 5. This year's Illinois team is currently projected as an 8 seed, and of their 5 best players only 1 was even on the roster last March.

Roster building is way different than it was even 5 years ago. You can add serious impact players through the transfer portal, or even add impact freshman after coaches are fired at the end of the year. It's probably safe to say IU won't be a national title contender next year, but that doesn't mean they can't field a solid team.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

We're a passionate fan base and we can't help it. We're the kind fans that after a big win give our wives an extra minute. 🤣

i get you're being funny, and the subsequent is not intended for you by any means.

I think it is kinda tasteless that we have been making fun other other fanbases over the last several weeks, and then you click on the first couple pages of this thread. Some people need to refrain from posting within 24 hours of a loss because their temperament cant handle that kind of thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, like any team.... Had they won, I guarantee an actual day off would be welcomed... After a poor performance such as last night, most players take the initiative to go work on things they messed up on. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

We're a passionate fan base and we can't help it. We're the kind fans that after a big win give our wives an extra minute. 🤣

image.png

Hey now...

All I did last night was laugh at our defense. Wasn't our night, perfect storm, whatever, onward.

P.S. she actually got 1 less 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

You are correct there Scott. Well said. I might add that you also described all fan bases.

As I’m sure is being emphasized in preparation for Michigan, there is no excuse to be as talented as they are and have even shown and to then come out and lay a massive egg in front of your home crowd. That’s the massive mystery we all can’t figure out.

My own opinion is that we (IU) have too many roll players which is why there are games that IU dominant when Trace and Jalen get theirs and when games are closely decided when those two are having an off night. Last night though, to me, was like everyone thought we had a 20 point lead to start the game. Sleepwalking. 

To me to be a great college team you have to have 3 players who are a consistent scorers. Right now we have one consistent scorer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Some of you think the season is a bust....Kids had a let down after a huge win just a couple of days before. They have 22 wins!! yes 2 loses to each of  NW and Iowa sucks but sometimes teams just have your number at a certain point. Are they better than we are???? Their records say we are even. The Murray kid goes off every time we play them. Last week I watched him shoot 3 airballs in a row from 3. Last night he looked like Reggie Miller, once again against us. He is a bad match up for us. Race today has no shot of guarding him.

Is this a great team? Its a very good team. Can it make a deep run in the NCAAT? yes it can, this team plays different when it means something to them it seems. NONE of us thought we would win at Purdue. WE you trade that for the Iowa win at home. Great IU teams have done this in the past, not sure why we are beating this team up so bad today. Go watch the 87' team on youtube.

We have 20 wins but agree with your post

Jess Settles was just on local radio. He was asked about our players laughing on the bench at the game. He said he didn't see it but wouldn't put much into it.  He also said the players have to realize that wearing the IU uniform you are going to me the most scrutinized players in the country. He said maybe UK but no where else

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Jess Settles was just on local radio. He was asked about our players laughing on the bench at the game. He said he didn't see it but wouldn't put much into it.  He also said the players have to realize that wearing the IU uniform you are going to me the most scrutinized players in the country. He said maybe UK but no where else

I think we are one of those places where giving off the appearance that you care less than the fans isn't received well because of what Settles is saying.

Me personally, I did not watch the game but a guy blowing kisses at my fans while getting beat by 20 is not something I would be in a joking mood about.  I guess their mileage varied.

For the first time this year, I watched the IU women play. It was at Iowa City and it was a nail biter.  Both are very good teams. One thing that impressed me and was a contrast to our men was the balanced scoring of the women Hoosiers.  They had 4 players that put up 14+ pts.  Men Hoosiers would be better imo if they had that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

One of the biggest fish bowls going. Some can handle and some can't. Them laughing at the end of the game was more man they just kicked our a-- talk and nothing more. 

So many more positives from this season. Those guys laughing is about #198 on my concerns for the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

IMO it makes 0 sense to talk about next year's team when this season is still going on, and we have no idea what the roster will even look like. Last year's Illinois team would be a good comp to this year's IU team. They were a 4 seed who lost their entire starting 5. This year's Illinois team is currently projected as an 8 seed, and of their 5 best players only 1 was even on the roster last March.

Roster building is way different than it was even 5 years ago. You can add serious impact players through the transfer portal, or even add impact freshman after coaches are fired at the end of the year. It's probably safe to say IU won't be a national title contender next year, but that doesn't mean they can't field a solid team.

LOL.  Hypotheses and speculation run rampant in here.  No topic/subject is off limits from that.

I am sure most on here understand about how the roster building can be.  The portal discussion will be prevalent once the season ends.

33 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve thought more about this loss and I still hate it. But this happens to pretty much every team at one point in a long season. They better come out of fire and pissed for MI though. Limping into the post-season with two at home losses would be VERY bad. 

I have calmed down a tad.  Not a bunch, just a tad.  I console in the fact that Kansas got taken to the woodshed at home by TCU.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rico said:

I have calmed down a tad.  Not a bunch, just a tad.  I console in the fact that Kansas got taken to the woodshed at home by TCU.  

I was/still am just so pissed b/c it was Iowa and Fran. 

I’m not used to teams disrespecting IU, but I guess if we let them then what can we do. I want players who will dominate/embarrass any team that dares to disrespect them. Like the old days. You gesture to our player or the crowd, and then next time we stomp you by 35 points. 

It’s also not lost on me that Iowa IS a good offensive team. But a good defensive team should be able to counterbalance. 

• Like 3

I haven't read much of this thread, because I didn't want to throw up or jump off a cliff.

Sh|t happens and this was a huge pile.

The most encouraging thing for me was Woody's 2 minute presser. Finally we got to see thru the "class act" suit of armor to the real pissed off Woody. If the guys don't respond against MI, then we won't be a real threat in either of the tourneys.

But...I'll still root for them, and support them, and hope for the absolute best for each of them. Now, and after they're living their lives outside of college.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

We did win 5 in a row 

So wonderful! This includes a horrible display at Minny. Good luck playing that poorly and winning against quality teams in the tournament. We have definitely not played six quality games in a row this year (which could include a loss - not saying they had to be all wins - looking more at the performance). We are wildly inconsistent. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So wonderful! This includes a horrible display at Minny. Good luck playing that poorly and winning against quality teams in the tournament. We have definitely not played six quality games in a row this year (which could include a loss). We are wildly inconsistent. 

I think the problem is some fans actually think we are a championship caliber team. I keep seeing this argument about not being able to win 6 straight games. I never ft this would be a team capable of winning the championship. Actually can't believe anyone actually thought we had a chance to win it.