Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Watching Texas-PSU, Texas has 6 transfers and PSU has at least 3.  

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think the only rotation player on UT that was a recruit was Mitchell who played at Montverde with JHS and Reneau

You're both conveniently leaving out that both Texas (Shake Smart) and Penn State (Jim Ferry) had coaching changes that necessitated taking on transfers as both had their recruiting classes gutted. Our own Tamar Bates decommitted from the Longhorns.

Some of you are trying to make it sound like I'm against taking ANY transfers. I'm not. I'm just not in favor of a huge roster turnover of transfers over kids we already have in the program. I trust Coach Woodson to know what we need, both from a basketball standpoint, and a chemistry fit standpoint. 

Well, I wish we could’ve avoided this thread for a couple more weeks, but here we are.

Just my opinion, but I expect to return:

1. XJ

2. Trey

3. Malik

4. Banks

5. Leal

Graduating, or going pro:

1. TJD

2. JHS

3. Race

4. Kopp

Not sure what’s next:

1. Bates

2. Geronimo

3. Gunn

4. Duncomb

I really don’t look for Geronimo and Duncomb to return, leaving seven scholarship openings. I think Bates will return if he can handle some constructive criticism from Woody. Gunn should return, but there’s no guarantees today. 

Don't kill me, but those are my thoughts currently. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Well, I wish we could’ve avoided this thread for a couple more weeks, but here we are.

1. XJ

2. Trey

3. Malik

4. Banks

5. Leal

1. TJD

2. JHS

3. Race

4. Kopp

Not sure what’s next:

1. Bates

2. Geronimo

3. Gunn

4. Duncomb

I really don’t look for Geronimo and Duncomb to return, leaving seven scholarship openings. I think Bates will return if he can handle some constructive criticism from Woody. Gunn should return, but there’s no guarantees today. 

This looks about right. I do think Gunn comes back but you never know. 

6 hours ago, Danomatic said:

1. XJ

2. Trey

3. Malik

4. Banks

5. Leal

1. TJD

2. JHS

3. Race

4. Kopp

Not sure what’s next:

1. Bates

2. Geronimo

3. Gunn

4. Duncomb

We have 10 eligible to return, and are picking up Cupps and Newton...So 12 for now...JHS leaves, that's 11...If, as you say, a couple leave, that puts us at 9...

I don't want to push anyone off the team.  No clue how it really works.  Does Coach Woodson say, look, we love you but the business is championships.  You gotta be a whole lot better to sniff playing time next year.  It's up to you.  Or is it, I appreciate your time and effort here but we are going in a different direction.  ???

Clearly we don't have the athletes to win at the highest level.  

• Like 1

I have on a security guards authority that Gunn isn't happy with pt.  Him and pops think he should be getting more time.  Clearly he has to get way stronger and way better all around.  He would probably make a fine contribution his Jr and sr years.  Can't see relying on him for more than 10-12 mins max next year though.  

• Like 1

Bates.  Was just awful offensively the last 20 or so games of the season.  

Shot 26.9% from three in February and March.  Had all the opportunity in the world.  You look at a guy like Jerome Hunter finally grow and you would hate to see him go but he's not a reliable go to guy and can't beat many guys off a dribble and can't get to the rack either.  Shy's from contact and fades away shooting really bad shots.   

He will likely be fine as a senior but no way you go into next season expecting him to start and go get buckets.  Not if you want to win a lot of games.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't want to push anyone off the team.  No clue how it really works.  Does Coach Woodson say, look, we love you but the business is championships.  You gotta be a whole lot better to sniff playing time next year.  It's up to you.  Or is it, I appreciate your time and effort here but we are going in a different direction.  ???

Clearly we don't have the athletes to win at the highest level.  

This is no longer the college game of the past. These kids wanted paid, they are now semi-pro's and should be treated as such. If you can't play and dont belong here. See ya!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Danomatic said:

1. XJ

2. Trey

3. Malik

4. Banks

5. Leal

1. TJD

2. JHS

3. Race

4. Kopp

Not sure what’s next:

1. Bates

2. Geronimo

3. Gunn

4. Duncomb

I tend to agree with this, but your math is a bit off.

5 guys you listed as back, plus probably/maybe Bates and Gunn is 7. 2 incoming freshman is 9, which leaves us 4 open spots to fill.

IMO, I'd love to see 3 transfers and 1 freshman. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I did see Gunn's DAD bitching on twitter awhile back about how awful the team was. I wouldn't be shocked if he leaves.

Well, I would point out to dad, that if the team is truly awful, yet his son doesnt even get off the bench, then.... connect the dots.

Parents just need to shut up.  The team was not awful, and CJ Gunn has talent.  Whether or not he fulfills his promise at IU remains to be seen.

But, priority #1 is for dad to shut up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I would point out to dad, that if the team is truly awful, yet his son doesnt even get off the bench, then.... connect the dots.

Parents just need to shut up.  The team was not awful, and CJ Gunn has talent.  Whether or not he fulfills his promise at IU remains to be seen.

Yeah, the quickest way to get your son more playing time from CMW is to go on Twitter and complain. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I must have missed his Dad saying anything. I've interacted with him all season and he seems to always know CJ's time will come next year and beyond. 

• Like 3

Parents chirping on social media is one of the worst recent developments.  Having said that, Gunn has length and potential.   He—along with all our freshmen—need to get into the weight room hard.  Gunn and Banks are young and look like twigs.  Reneau has incredible natural strength but he needs to condition off all his baby fat and get a step quicker.   

Regarding Gunn, I think his upside is role player off the bench next season and then playing more as an upperclassmen.   He has the potential to defend and shoot.   But it’s a meritocracy.  Get better and prove you deserve to be on the floor.  Not a single person thinks the problem was that Gunn needed to play more.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This! ^^^
Hopefully CJ knows his roll and that he wasn’t quite ready. If so, he most likely may have told his dad to “nip it in the bud”! 

I know the portal is an integral part of today's game. I just honestly hate the outwardly trashing (maybe not the right word) or suggesting certain players can hit the bricks.

I know they are getting paid. I realize with that fans feel like they can criticize. They are still kids though. 

• Like 1