Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

Just now, IUFLA said:

And that's ok...You know I respect your basketball knowledge...But rather than just grab the new shiny object, I'd rather develop a kid like Banks...

Ledlum, and I've watched some full games on him in the past week, just isn't that impressive to me

You can do both. 

Ok..  a "Ledlum like player"... I think you're too entrenched with his #s though. Its still a skillset thing for me. 

I do like those two a lot, but if we get someone else... perfectly fine, but... the skill set at that spot has to come first. 

Being able to run offense through our 4 at all, would be a massive change. Maybe he/that spot can post and Malik can run weakside block/spot up in a corner. PnR with Ledlum and someone like XJ could be a dangerous for other teams. OR A PLAYER LIKE LEDLUM.. idk all the damn players getting in the portal lol

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wait.. why wouldnt they be perfect fits? 

Especially Battle. What/who, what mold is "perfect"? 6'11, athletic, can shoot and handle it? Those guys are in the NBA. Be realistic and build a roster, not acquire talent. 

6'11"????

Did he grow 4 inches overnight?

As far as his shooting, his numbers were down across the board this season.  And, going beyond the box score stats, his PER this season was only 9.4.  Yes, playing for Minnesota contributed to that.  But, it's not a number you want from your starting 4.

• Haha 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

6'11"????

Did he grow 4 inches overnight?

As far as his shooting, his numbers were down across the board this season.  And, going beyond the box score stats, his PER this season was only 9.4.  Yes, playing for Minnesota contributed to that.  But, it's not a number you want from your starting 4.

I'm saying... who/what mold fits what we need? 

And I think a Battle type is pretty well a perfect 4, he would have way less usage for us and immensely better looks. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can do both. 

Ok..  a "Ledlum like player"... I think you're too entrenched with his #s though. Its still a skillset thing for me. 

I do like those two a lot, but if we get someone else... perfectly fine, but... the skill set at that spot has to come first. 

Being able to run offense through our 4 at all, would be a massive change. Maybe he/that spot can post and Malik can run weakside block/spot up in a corner. PnR with Ledlum and someone like XJ could be a dangerous for other teams. OR A PLAYER LIKE LEDLUM.. idk all the damn players getting in the portal lol

A little more length, like, say a Jeffrey Newton type?

And I think we're going to see Malik develop an outside shot...

A question for me about Ledlum is how solid is he handling the ball.  I've never seen him play, but his advanced metrics are very solid.  

If he can break defenders down off the dribble and score, I can live with his 3 point shooting.  Can he be a player in the Jalen Pickett mold, without quite that level of usage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A little more length, like, say a Jeffrey Newton type?

And I think we're going to see Malik develop an outside shot...

Sorry.. "mold" I didn't just mean physical make up. I meant type of player/skillset as well. 

Newton physically yes, just way more of a player with perimeter skills to go along with that. 

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have on a security guards authority that Gunn isn't happy with pt.  Him and pops think he should be getting more time.  Clearly he has to get way stronger and way better all around.  He would probably make a fine contribution his Jr and sr years.  Can't see relying on him for more than 10-12 mins max next year though.  

May not be happy with PT, but doesn't sound like he's contemplating going anywhere...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

May not be happy with PT, but doesn't sound like he's contemplating going anywhere...

I sure as hell hope not! A long guard with a little bit of attitude that's not affraid to shoot, yes please!  We just need to get him on the floor a little more next year so he doesnt press and try to do too much when he's in. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

I sure as hell hope not! A long guard with a little bit of attitude that's not affraid to shoot, yes please!  We just need to get him on the floor a little more next year so he doesnt press and try to do too much when he's in. 

That, launching 500 jumpers a day in Cook Hall, and some big time weight room work...

• Like 3

Important Dates:

Deadline to enter the Transfer Portal is 5/11/23. First time transfers who are academically eligible are immediately eligible. 2nd time transfers need a waiver. Grad Transfers can enter later than that and are exempt from the waiver rule so veterans can move at any time.

The NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline is 6/12/23 at 5PM EDT

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Not doubting you or anyone for sure! I clearly missed it but CJ's Dad has always struck me as someone who is well aware his sons turn wasn't going to be this year.

Who knows anymore what happens behind closed doors with parents though. They can have an online persona to get followers and act like a fool behind the scenes. 

He made a comment after round one. He was mad his son didn’t get out in and he said he was taking notes essentially 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

8,5...In the Ivy League...Yeah...Think he could replicate that in the Big 10?

And no comment on the 3 point %?

I keep hearing we need shooters...Out of those 3, Timberlake looks to be not only the one with the highest %, but the one who can manufacture his own shot...

I look at the roster and we can use help on every position. There is no guarantee that XJ will get a waiver so we might need to look at an experience PG.  We need to increase the talent level at the 2-3 position because to me there is no guarantee on this roster that can be counted on as a starter on a great team. I like Galloway but on a great team he should be your 7th guy and coming off the bench. I have given up on Tamar and maybe it is best for him to look elsewhere. Of coarse we need some size as well plus better shooting

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

I hope Logan Duncomb comes back.  He’s 6’10 now and he’s gained 40 pounds.  With his surgery, I think he’s eligible for a redshirt.  So he’d be a redshirt soph next year.  I think he’s a classic big man who needed time to develop.  Unfortunately he missed quite a bit of time his first couple of years.   But he’s watched vets like Trayce and Race.  Unless there’s a problem with his work ethic, I think this is a guy who can be a good rotational big next year.   He was a top 75 recruit and he’s got a motor.  He can be solid.   

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Perimeter oriented wing… could either be a 3 or stretch 4 for us. Good shooter.

Likes the corner 3 like Miller....He may be my new favorite transfer lol...really solid looking shooting stroke and can even hit from well beyond the 3 line...