Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I hope Logan Duncomb comes back.  He’s 6’10 now and he’s gained 40 pounds.  With his surgery, I think he’s eligible for a redshirt.  So he’d be a redshirt soph next year.  I think he’s a classic big man who needed time to develop.  Unfortunately he missed quite a bit of time his first couple of years.   But he’s watched vets like Trayce and Race.  Unless there’s a problem with his work ethic, I think this is a guy who can be a good rotational big next year.   He was a top 75 recruit and he’s got a motor.  He can be solid.   

I like Duncomb's game and hope he comes back, but IU really needs to get away from the "big man" game if you ask me. They need to get faster, and more athletic too. Miami attacked our weaknesses. What I do like about Duncomb is both him and Malik look like they could develop an outside game. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rico said:

Doesn't always work that way.  Plethora of reasons the kid might not want to go to G-town that have nothing to do with Cooley.

I understand, but I would say Cooley is going to re-recruit all of his guys, so I don't know if I would be willing to put in the time for guys like him unless they actually reached out to IU. I know all portal guys have to be re-recruited, but most guys are leaving behind their coach and school, not entering because their coach left for a new school. It doesn't hurt to put in a feeler, but IU needs to lock down guys not play wait and see "games".  But if he's legitimately interested, then go for it. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Confused 1

On 3/18/2023 at 6:59 AM, Artesian_86 said:

Will we see any surprises in the portal from Purdue because of their latest fiasco? If so, who might it/they be? 

Can’t imagine everyone comes back 

Newman & Gillis have degrees 

If Zach comes back are TKR & Furst happy playing backup minutes?

Gotta get more playmakers on the court 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:24 PM, IU Scott said:

I think if Edey is back then I think Kauffman -Renn will be gone

Hard to argue that 

IU should draw kids into portal just to play there 

this is why if I were CMW I’d wait to hear through back channels is interested 

Not sure you want kids who hate current situation

You want kids desperate to play for IU in the Big Ten 

22 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I like Duncomb's game and hope he comes back, but IU really needs to get away from the "big man" game if you ask me. They need to get faster, and more athletic too. Miami attacked our weaknesses. What I do like about Duncomb is both him and Malik look like they could develop an outside game. 

I don't think we need to go full Penn State/Miami in our makeup. Yes, we do need to upgrade our overall athleticism, but CMW had our bigs playing with pace. We just didn't have the perimeter balance to offset what TJD et al were doing down low.

Given the makeup of this team, we HAD to go through TJD, and it was extremely effective. With the right personnel around Reneau/[insert big] we can be quite dynamic with how we attack, which is ultimately what the best teams are capable of doing. There were times when going big was absolutely to our advantage. Unfortunately, we weren't really able to do the opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don't think we need to go full Penn State/Miami in our makeup. Yes, we do need to upgrade our overall athleticism, but CMW had our bigs playing with pace. We just didn't have the perimeter balance to offset what TJD et al were doing down low.

Given the makeup of this team, we HAD to go through TJD, and it was extremely effective. With the right personnel around Reneau/[insert big] we can be quite dynamic with how we attack, which is ultimately what the best teams are capable of doing. There were times when going big was absolutely to our advantage. Unfortunately, we weren't really able to do the opposite.

I understand why we had to go through TJD, and I would say it's extremely effective when you have an All American big. But we have to get more athletic and have much, much stronger guard play if you want to hang another banner.

MORE: 
At Woodson's press conference, he said something to the effect that he never coached a team that ran the O through the big man.  Having both Trayce and Race in the line up for the past 3 years has made the O pretty old school.  I think that will change going forward.   

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, the quickest way to get your son more playing time from CMW is to go on Twitter and complain. 

How great was the Justin Smith era though? We would get parent tweets weekly. They were awesome like what does this guys parents even see that we don’t. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I understand, but I would say Cooley is going to re-recruit all of his guys, so I don't know if I would be willing to put in the time for guys like him unless they actually reached out to IU. I know all portal guys have to be re-recruited, but most guys are leaving behind their coach and school, not entering because their coach left for a new school. It doesn't hurt to put in a feeler, but IU needs to lock down guys not play wait and see "games".  But if he's legitimately interested, then go for it. 

This is how we got Malik Reneau. He didn't follow Mike White. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Just for fun:

Some rumors circulating that Luke Brown might be leaving Stetson.

This should be good for 40 pages from that one poster alone.

God, please don’t tell me that he’s the “stud” transfer that someone alluded to a couple weeks ago 😛

Edited by Steubenhoosier
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is how we got Malik Reneau. He didn't follow Mike White. 

No but he did follow JHS who we recruited. Does Dual have any sort of connection to guys at IU? Did we recruit him at all initially? Not saying you don't reach out, but I don't know if you have the time to recruit a guy from scratch. He's more likely to go to the other schools that he was considering. Never say never, but seems like the only real connection is he's from Carmel.

Edited by OGIUAndy

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

No but he did follow JHS who we recruited. Does Dual have any sort of connection to guys at IU? Did we recruit him at all initially? Not saying you don't reach out, but I don't know if you have the time to recruit a guy from scratch. He's more likely to go to the other schools that he was considering. Never say never, but seems like the only real connection is he's from Carmel.

I think this is probably right. But we didn't have any prior affiliation with Tamar Bates, as far as I can recall, but still convinced him on an abbreviated timeline. So it's not impossible.

• Like 1