Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This literally describes like 99.999999% of the teams in college basketball. Who are these teams that play the way you wish IU played?

We're one of the top 15 teams in the country and have handled a difficult schedule with very bad injury luck. 

Coming back from our injuries and a 1-4 start, to finish 2nd/3rd in conference and sweep the teams we swept shows extreme toughness. 

I think it was CRMK that said it, well he may have been paraphrasing someone else, I really don't care becuase to me he was the GOAT.

We don't play against another teams strengths/ weaknesses, we play against ourselves to play the best game possible with no mistakes. Achieve that, all other things take care of themselves.

Yall are killing me for wanting us to achieve what I think we have proven that we can do.  

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

WE very well could be NC contenders. except that we don't have a team to step on the other teams throat when they are begging for air. That's the part of my comments that you all are killing me over. We can be extremely good and then feel bad that we are smashing the oppoenet so all of a sudden we start playing "nice" or so it seems. CMW and staff have brought that "good" but how do they allow the soft part?

Damn it's difficult being a recliner coach when you all just want to be My Pillow rev 2 players.     

I think you keep forgetting that XJ would be a key part of a contending team and without him we aren't there

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think it was CRMK that said it, well he may have been paraphrasing someone else, I really don't care becuase to me he was the GOAT.

We don't play against another teams strengths/ weaknesses, we play against ourselves to play the best game possible with no mistakes. Achieve that, all other things take care of themselves.

Yall are killing me for wanting us to achieve what I think we have proven that we can do.  

I think the problem is what you think can be achieved is way more than what this team is capable of achieving 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

We're killing you because you're not making sense, or at least you're timing is weird. We just showed a TON of toughness gutting out that win today. 

The Knight quote you shared is a nice, fun "coach speak" anecdote, but completely unrealistic. 

The "toughness" hill is an odd hill to die on this season, given where we came from during the Archie era.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think you keep forgetting that XJ would be a key part of a contending team and without him we aren't there

You would be incorrect. He would be HUGE, like XL Johnson huge. But here we are, with other players that HAVE to step up (and they have many time) to close the deal. We are not 3 games in for freshmen. There are no freshmen anymore, they are grown ass men competing. I know that these competitors will conquer when pushed. now, lets push.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're killing you because you're not making sense, or at least you're timing is weird. We just showed a TON of toughness gutting out that win today. 

The Knight quote you shared is a nice, fun "coach speak" anecdote, but completely unrealistic. 

The "toughness" hill is an off hill to die on this season, given where we came from during the Archie era.  

A'right A'right... Blue has spoken. I'll give it up. Am I to pay accolades to the team that worked to 15ish up, or the the one that won in OT?

I'm proud of both, maybe y'all keep missing that part. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

A'right A'right... Blue has spoken. I'll give it up. Am I to pay accolades to the team that worked to 15ish up, or the the one that won in OT?

Maybe you are not seeing things straight. Everyone knows I live for the past but this isn't the IU program that I grew iuo or you watched. College basketball is way different than it use to be and the parity in the college game hasn't been seen before 

5 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Glad you are proud. This game is very different than it was 30 years ago. The 3pt shot and a few live ball turnovers is what sent Michigan on their huge run. It’s also what brought us back a bit too. College basketball is just full of that now. No game is ever out of reach and when you are dealing with college kids and not pros you see these swings in momentum much more often. They bailed 5 or 6 threes in a row and a couple fast breaks and swung the game…it wasn’t toughness or anything lacking we didn’t have..we just ran into a 10 min buzz saw end of the half and second half. We outplayed them for a majority of the minutes/game. I wish it didn’t happen like that but we came back…just like we did against NW and just like we did the first game against them and just like we did against Illinois. This team has fight. It isn’t the highest bbiq team but it fights…I’ll take that until we find the rest to  put us over the top.

3 hours ago, Bushmage said:

Race throwing up the W after doing everything possible to let Michigan win the game is so laughably embarrassing. I cannot wait for him to be replaced.

Help us understand what you mean.  Race's steals weren't winning plays?  His 16 points and 10 rebounds had nothing to do with our win?   7-10 shooting from the field isn't 'winning', but 1-6 from the line is certainly 'losing'?  Based on your criteria for 'winning' name a player on IU that made winning plays. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

I agree with the thought above about the lack of a veteran point guard.  But as I said in the game thread, someone has to hit outside shots.  Cannot win if you go 0 fer or 1 or 2 for the game.  Thankfully a few did in the second half.  Of course, between Trayce and Race at the end, I think we missed our last six free throws.  Gotta make some when the game is on the line.  Oh well, probably MD in our next game barring an upset now that we are the three seed.

Edited by IUguy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

ok ok ok... Y'all act like I am a PU troll. I've celebrated our accomplishments all season and been DAMN voice full about it. So stop with yourselves! 

Do you all not think, even with our huge improvements under woody, that our current roster just doesn;t have that NECESSARY, killer instinct? 

Who is ONE player, that will go play smash mouth ball like... Bad Davison? Kris murray? either of the 17 MaCafrey twins... (that just keep givng...) . 

Gosh darn it, I really miss XL Johnson, He had it !  

BUT NORMANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a bit odd that there are people questioning the heart of this team after coming back to win this game, and is something like 6-3 in games decided by 6 points or less (I eyeballed that stat, so don't kill me if it's a bit off). It's even odder when you consider that one of the comparison points - the McCaffrey clan (really?) - comes on a day when they lost at home to Nebraska. 

This team is what it is at this point. I think we all know they could fall flat on their face any time on the court, but that can happen to pretty much any team in the tournament. Look at some of the top line seeds - Purdue got smoked at Maryland, Alabama lost by 24 at Oklahoma, Kansas by 16 at Baylor, Baylor by 15 at home against Iowa State, and so on. This team could also go on a run to the FF - that is something that is certainly in play, depending on seeding/draw and if they can get consistent at the right time.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

It's a bit odd that there are people questioning the heart of this team after coming back to win this game, and is something like 6-3 in games decided by 6 points or less

Some people seem to enjoy finding the negative and shaping it to support a narrative.

We could literally win the championship this year and someone's first post afterward would not be about a 6th banner, rather it  will be about how we're going to have to replace 4 starters before next season.  They won't even take 5 minutes to celebrate the successes of this year.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some people seem to enjoy finding the negative and shaping it to support a narrative.

We could literally win the championship this year and someone's first post afterward would not be about a 6th banner, rather it  will be about how we're going to have to replace 4 starters before next season.  They won't even take 5 minutes to celebrate the successes of this year.

I don’t know if this is completely true, some of those people will also point out how this team isn’t even as good as some teams like the Calbert teams or the ‘75 team. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1