Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Some people seem to enjoy finding the negative and shaping it to support a narrative.

We could literally win the championship this year and someone's first post afterward would not be about a 6th banner, rather it  will be about how we're going to have to replace 4 starters before next season.  They won't even take 5 minutes to celebrate the successes of this year.

Yep!  Those post start out soooo scripted.....for example, "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we won, but....." or 

"I don't want to sound like that guy but,"...etc. 

Wears me out!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Isiah Thomas still lost 17 games in his two seasons. Isiah Thomas never won at Mackey. Isiah Thomas lost to Texas-Pan American. Isiah Thomas started out both seasons ranked in the top five, then fell out of the polls entirely. They climbed back, but were only ranked in the mid-teens heading into the tournament.

"Inconsistent" gets overused in college basketball. Only a small handful of teams in any season could be said to be consistent, and those are your top seeds. The last Indiana team that could be said to be consistent was maybe the '12-13 team, and people still love to tell you about every loss that team took along the way. Before that you probably have to go back to '92-93 to find a consistent Indiana team. It just doesn't happen often in this sport, and when it does it's special.

Every season has its ups and downs, but those get lost to history. I don't remember Maui when I think of the '15-16 season, I think of Yogi's step back three at Iowa to secure a Big Ten championship. I think of Tom Crean shooting finger guns at John Calipari in the NCAA Tournament. We remember Zeke for winning a championship (and for his NBA career), and we forget all the missteps that happened along the way.

We're a projected 4 seed this year. In the 30 years since Calbert Cheaney, only that '12-13 team had a higher seed. Only two other teams even matched this one on the 4-line. The '11-12 team was one, and is remembered fondly for their performances against Kentucky, but we forget some of the mind boggling losses in the middle of that season. This is what a 4 seed looks like: big wins and frustrating losses. I'd love to be a 1 seed and have aspirations at a national championship. Of course, the last time we played for a title it was as a five seed. So let's enjoy the season for what it is, and not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Still two tournaments left to go, that will define how we think about the season for years to come.

Very well said, so I’ll just in throw in a “like” and go about my day, and get ready for the BTT. 

• Like 1

I probably mentioned or others did but wanted to draw attention to two sequences. 63-59 around 5 minute mark. Dump to TJD out to JHS and he quickly dished to Tamar for that open 3. 

One other one for JHS specifically. 69-66 with minute to go....he sees HD was sagging and just says screw it and buries that 3. Just makes so many $ time plays.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Isiah Thomas still lost 17 games in his two seasons. Isiah Thomas never won at Mackey. Isiah Thomas lost to Texas-Pan American. Isiah Thomas started out both seasons ranked in the top five, then fell out of the polls entirely. They climbed back, but were only ranked in the mid-teens heading into the tournament.

"Inconsistent" gets overused in college basketball. Only a small handful of teams in any season could be said to be consistent, and those are your top seeds. The last Indiana team that could be said to be consistent was maybe the '12-13 team, and people still love to tell you about every loss that team took along the way. Before that you probably have to go back to '92-93 to find a consistent Indiana team. It just doesn't happen often in this sport, and when it does it's special.

Every season has its ups and downs, but those get lost to history. I don't remember Maui when I think of the '15-16 season, I think of Yogi's step back three at Iowa to secure a Big Ten championship. I think of Tom Crean shooting finger guns at John Calipari in the NCAA Tournament. We remember Zeke for winning a championship (and for his NBA career), and we forget all the missteps that happened along the way.

We're a projected 4 seed this year. In the 30 years since Calbert Cheaney, only that '12-13 team had a higher seed. Only two other teams even matched this one on the 4-line. The '11-12 team was one, and is remembered fondly for their performances against Kentucky, but we forget some of the mind boggling losses in the middle of that season. This is what a 4 seed looks like: big wins and frustrating losses. I'd love to be a 1 seed and have aspirations at a national championship. Of course, the last time we played for a title it was as a five seed. So let's enjoy the season for what it is, and not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Still two tournaments left to go, that will define how we think about the season for years to come.

Great Post! Thanks Maedhros! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Always nice to see IU isn't the only team in the Big 10 to have a psychotic fan base :) 

I thought it was "funny" that they go back and forth with each other.  The different viewpoints on how they saw the game.  No different than what goes on here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

This is all excellent, but I wanted to highlight your last paragraph. I’m excited about the two upcoming tournaments!

7 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, I mean, I've had my own moments of "WTF is going on with this team?" One was yesterday when I thought I was going to sit back and watch a nice easy W, and next thing I know we're down double digits. But, hey, that's a far cry from the double digit minutes of time when we wouldn't score a FG with the former coach, or getting run out of the gym by a team whose school name has more letters than Coach K has in his name.

Let's remember that this team was once 1-4 and could have easily packed it in, that this is Woody's second year, and another year of checking off some important benchmarks - not sweating out a tourney bid is a nice change, ending more losing streaks, sweeping Purdue, and winning tough, close games are all important hurdles to getting the program back to where we want it.

Ha, I was exactly the same way. Thought I was going to enjoy a few beers and a nice easy win, but then damn…

Pulled it out tin the end, but that was not the fun little romp I was expecting. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

dont understand why this is necessary.

i would say anyone coming out of high school that is ranked +/- 30th nationally and a .9892 recruit would be considered an NBA prospect.

I'm sure he may have been considered a prospect 2 years ago. Just haven't seen him listed in any of the mock drafts or any talk about him going to the NBA