Michigan Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

ok ok ok... Y'all act like I am a PU troll. I've celebrated our accomplishments all season and been DAMN voice full about it. So stop with yourselves! 

Do you all not think, even with our huge improvements under woody, that our current roster just doesn;t have that NECESSARY, killer instinct? 

Who is ONE player, that will go play smash mouth ball like... Bad Davison? Kris murray? either of the 17 MaCafrey twins... (that just keep givng...) . 

Gosh darn it, I really miss XL Johnson, He had it !  

I'm not totally sure what you are getting at, I don't want a player like Brad Davidson or Fran's boys.

Kris Murray is great, not sure I'd say anything about him I wouldn't say about TJD or JHS though. What's the difference there?

I saw our team win a lot of games we haven't in several years and go 9-1 against the other measuring stick programs of the conference. We won several games that either going into the game or during the game looked like a very long shot, is that not a killer instinct?

We were 1-4 and had 10 games to go against the other big dogs, and got to 12-8. That's damn impressive in my book. We are going to finish tied for second in conference, playing the hardest schedule by far. We'd have won the conference if not for Race's injury and the absolute screw jobs at Iowa and Northwestern. 

Yeah... I think this team has killer instinct. I'm not sure they have the depth, but there's a lot to like and be proud about this team.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

ok ok ok... Y'all act like I am a PU troll. I've celebrated our accomplishments all season and been DAMN voice full about it. So stop with yourselves! 

Do you all not think, even with our huge improvements under woody, that our current roster just doesn;t have that NECESSARY, killer instinct? 

Who is ONE player, that will go play smash mouth ball like... Bad Davison? Kris murray? either of the 17 MaCafrey twins... (that just keep givng...) . 

It's all good man. I disagree with everything you have said on this topic. But I love everybody having and sharing an opinion. 👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I said similar a few games back and was blasted...  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't usually pay much attention to posters. I click like or discard and move along. What is this though? We swept Purdue. Down our guys. I'd like to think we could find a positive tonight. 

I'm sorry if you don't know that I love our Hoosiers. I don't like that "WE" celebrate being punk'd, even thought we pull out the W, in OT. Our players RIGHT NOW, have much more in them that what we are seeing. I'll sign off now. But our kids have more in them, then letting crap like tonight be close.

TOTALLY LOVE Woody, but I've gotta put my feeling son him. Bring them across the finish line coach!     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Hey we all love IU….but it’s just a basketball game. Step away from the ledge and enjoy the good times. Problem for a lot of people is they don’t realize that life is about the journey not the destination. Enjoy the moments. At least we are having a lot more good ones than bad ones lately. When and if we ever hang number 6…it will be the culmination of all these moments that will make it special.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

What I saw was a team that will finish at least tied for second in the big ten after starting 1-4 in conference.  I also saw a team that only had their original starting lineup together for 5 games out of 31 games. Didn't see many other teams playing multiple games without 2 starters. 4 of our 5 starters missed at least 3 games

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I'm sorry if you don't know that I love our Hoosiers. I don't like that "WE" celebrate being punk'd, even thought we pull out the W, in OT. Our players RIGHT NOW, have much more in them that what we are seeing. I'll sign off now. But our kids have more in them, then letting crap like tonight be close.

TOTALLY LOVE Woody, but I've gotta put my feeling son him. Bring them across the finish line coach!     

I love IU basketball as much  as any fan and have been for 50 years 

Edited by IU Scott

9 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

If I’m deciphering your take correctly then Lunardi agrees with you. In the article I’m adding in the IUBB thread he mentions that IU has certainly been inconsistent but when playing well is a clear final four contender. Jump over and check it out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don’t know what standards you are using to evaluate what makes great men, but…

I just listened to the senior speeches, and to a man, first and foremost they thanked God for the opportunity to play at IU and for this coaching staff.

Regardless of what they achieve on the floor, I believe that they have all been set on the path to being winners in life.

I could never argue that. Love me some woody, love everyone one of these players. It's very well obvious that I will not be able to properly explain my concerns. If it helps, I'll damn sure still arrange my life around the next game, and the next and .... and then probably also the off season, as I've done for 54 yrs. It's not like a a big red buffalo or somthing.. jeese. 

• Like 1

This was an impressive win.  Michigan is more talented than their record shows. They have a possible lottery pick in Howard and Bufkin has been rising in recent mock drafts.  Hunter Dickinson has been right up there with the best bigs in the conference the last 3 years.  The guys could've folded when Michigan made their run to a comfortable lead on us, but they refocused on defense, chipped away and found a way to win.  Everyone on the floor to close out regulation and OT really stepped up in the clutch and made winning plays.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Tamar Bates with the team leading +11 tonight. 

When Galloway fouled out I told my son we were done because Tamar was going to have to finish the game. He did great! Played solid D and hit some big shots. If that one putback would have gone in, he would probably be getting a lot more praise on here from the "only care about offensive stats" crowd 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

If I’m deciphering your take correctly then Lunardi agrees with you. In the article I’m adding in the IUBB thread he mentions that IU has certainly been inconsistent but when playing well is a clear final four contender. Jump over and check it out.  

Without "jumping over and checking it out" I think that is my beef. Woody and staff and age, have brought this teams players to be able to achieve their true greatness, sometimes (often even).

But, when they don't... OMG they just don't, and seem to be kinda ok with it.. I just don't understand that.

This main core, was an CAM core and Woody has brought them SO VERY FAR, but they often revert without at least one of them stomping in some opponents a$$ to make a statement. .. Think Isiah ZEKE freakin thomas. 

Again, love the team, the coaches, the players and will be here for another 30 yrs (hopefulley). But none have closed the loop on being killers in games yet .     

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Without "jumping over and checking it out" I think that is my beef. Woody and staff and age, have brought this teams players to be able to achieve their true greatness, sometimes (often even).

But, when they don't... OMG they just don't, and seem to be kinda ok with it.. I just don't understand that.

This main core, was an CAM core and Woody has brought them SO VERY FAR, but they often revert without at least one of them stomping in some opponents a$$ to make a statement. .. Think Isiah ZEKE freakin thomas. 

Again, love the team, the coaches, the players and will be here for another 30 yrs (hopefulley). But none have closed the loop on being killers in games yet .     

I guess my question was what was your expectations for this team. If you thought this team was a national title contender then I think your expectations was a little high.  I thought we would compete for the big ten title and make the sweet 16. We tied for 2nd with most games lost too injuries in the league.

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get it…we aren’t NC contender but we’ve made great strides to get the program turned around and on its way back. I get this reaction from that abomination of a game against Iowa but today? We won today? We played awful but we fought til the end and found a way to win.

WE very well could be NC contenders. except that we don't have a team to step on the other teams throat when they are begging for air. That's the part of my comments that you all are killing me over. We can be extremely good and then feel bad that we are smashing the oppoenet so all of a sudden we start playing "nice" or so it seems. CMW and staff have brought that "good" but how do they allow the soft part?

Damn it's difficult being a recliner coach when you all just want to be My Pillow rev 2 players.     

51 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

yes, that's the one. I know I know... Who is getting noticed tonight? IU or PU? CMW has gotten 1000 more from this group than imagined, but they are just not killers. I hate it, I love them for what they've accomplished. But they don;t have the mentality to finish.

I'm not hating on our team at all. But I also am not storming Normandy with them. 

I get it, and I think CMW has gotten about as much as could be expected out of this group, especially after we lost our alpha dog point guard early on. All in all this season has been a big step forward, and I suspect we’ll win a few more before it’s over. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Again, love the team, the coaches, the players and will be here for another 30 yrs (hopefulley). But none have closed the loop on being killers in games yet.

I get what you're saying. I like may others I was hoping that this team or any team in the last god forsaken decade would crush an opponent.

I will say that it's hard to crush opponents because we play above average defense (not top tier) and we primarily take two point shots. We simply do not have the offensive fire power from the 3 point range to obliterate an opponent. At times when we go up by 10 or 15 after an opponent's drought we begin trading 2s with 3s. This team is built to grind out wins and we're gonna have to accept that. In order to step on throats in today's game you need volume 3 point shooting. 

With that said there have been many successful tournament teams who know how to grind out wins. As my Dad used to say when we played HORSE "It doesn't matter what the shot looks like as long as it goes in the basket."

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

WE very well could be NC contenders. except that we don't have a team to step on the other teams throat when they are begging for air. That's the part of my comments that you all are killing me over. We can be extremely good and then feel bad that we are smashing the oppoenet so all of a sudden we start playing "nice" or so it seems. CMW and staff have brought that "good" but how do they allow the soft part?

Damn it's difficult being a recliner coach when you all just want to be My Pillow rev 2 players.     

This literally describes like 99.999999% of the teams in college basketball. Who are these teams that play the way you wish IU played?

We're one of the top 15 teams in the country and have handled a difficult schedule with very bad injury luck. 

Coming back from our injuries and a 1-4 start, to finish 2nd/3rd in conference and sweep the teams we swept shows extreme toughness. 

• Like 5

Just now, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I get it, and I think CMW has gotten about as much as could be expected out of this group, especially after we lost our alpha dog point guard early on. All in all this season has been a big step forward, and I suspect we’ll win a few more before it’s over. 

He's got sooooo much out of this group, I couldn't agree more. You are spot on! But dang I know that these kids have more, they proves it damn near every game, but only in spurts. I want to send this group to Ellis Island for 6 weeks, and then see what they are when they come out. They are soooo close.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The reason we can’t step on peoples throats is because we don’t have a veteran point guard and we don’t have consistent 3 pt shooting. Those are two things needed to really cut someone’s heart out. We have young point guard that makes some bad decisions and we are inconsistent shooting the ball. Our veteran point guard that would settle us down and make plays to stop a run is out for the season and we have yet to find that killer shooter…so like most teams we have weaknesses that allow teams to get back into games…but what we do have is a team full of heart that don’t give up when the chips are down. 

• Like 2