Transfers with IU Interest

12 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

If our expectations change, I’ll find something else to do with my free time. The expectations aren’t the problem. It’s the people starting at the top that were brought in that didn’t understand the expectations and they’ve done nothing but damage getting to those expectations over the last 25 years.  Everything off the court is in place to meet our expectations.  Now, sometimes things happen where we have to face reality, but that’s not the same as changing our expectations. If we’re not “expecting” to be the best and doing everything we can to sit on top of the mountain, then I’m out. I’m thinking that Woody agrees with this and is doing his part. 

So for you to be a fan it is championship or bust. You need to learn to enjoy the journey and not just the destination. You act like every year under RMK we were a championship caliber team. It was usually a couple years of being good and making the tournament and then having a chance at a championship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The people following the recruits on social media are not the same people providing the NIL money.

Sure, but brands want athletes with an audience. You need followers to have an audience. The people following recruits are the ones buying the products that athletes will be pitching as part of their NIL deals. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

If you don't use the portal and they transfer out, you are looking for a new job.

You use the portal when needed like this year but don't want our roster built with only  portal guys. To me that is not what I loved about college basketball 

Edited by IU Scott

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have you noticed a trend with every coach at IU. Start out strong in recruiting then it starts to go down about the time the fans start turning on the coach.

Or when the coach doesn't win games with those great recruits he recruited? What comes first - the chicken or the egg? 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

4 on 4 ... I mean they still had to guard him.

Unfortunately, Miller's effectiveness/importance, whatever... greatly diminished when XJ went out. 

Absolutely.  Kopp was really left as the only threat without XJ.  I don't mean to denigrate Miller by any means - loved his effort and attitude.  He played darn good D despite not being overly athletic.

Ultimately, I believe, Woodson wants to spread things out and have threats inside, midrange, and on the perimeter (wouldn't every coach?). 

To this point we've replaced Race & Trayce with Ware/Reneau/Sparks.  JHS with XJ.  And TBD on Kopp.  Likely TJD won't be replaced with equal production.

How things shake out roster-wise, style of play-wise, and individual player improvement-wise is yet to be determined.  Thus far I'm not overly excited - lots of work to be done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Have you seen me turn on the coaching staff once in this thread? 

Fans start turning on the coaching staff when said coaching staff start to miss important recruits and their results start to suffer. 

You're terrible at this by the way. You haven't changed a lick from your old Rivals days. 

Are the you the only one in the fan base. Not saying here but a lot of other places I have seen fans already turning on Woodson. Seen many post about bringing in Dusty May this year and getting rid of Woodson

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Fans start turning on the coaching staff when said coaching staff start to miss important recruits and their results start to suffer. 

You're terrible at this by the way. You haven't changed a lick from your old Rivals days. 

Why change when you are right LOL! That explains a lot knowing you came from that cesspool over on Rivals.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Are the you the only one in the fan base. Not saying here but a lot of other places I have seen fans already turning on Woodson. Seen many post about bringing in Dusty May this year and getting rid of Woodson

You replied directly to me. 

Recruiting wins are directly tied with successful seasons and recruiting misses can almost certainly be correlated with losing teams. If you're consistently identifying talent and not landing them, that's a problem. 

Has anyone considered that Ledlum has one year left to play and just decided that although he might have liked the IU environment better the odds were better of winning  more next tear at UT than at IU and winning and making tournament was important for to him in his last go around?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Absolutely.  Kopp was really left as the only threat without XJ.  I don't mean to denigrate Miller by any means - loved his effort and attitude.  He played darn good D despite not being overly athletic.

Ultimately, I believe, Woodson wants to spread things out and have threats inside, midrange, and on the perimeter (wouldn't every coach?). 

To this point we've replaced Race & Trayce with Ware/Reneau/Sparks.  JHS with XJ.  And TBD on Kopp.  Likely TJD won't be replaced with equal production.

How things shake out roster-wise, style of play-wise, and individual player improvement-wise is yet to be determined.  Thus far I'm not overly excited - lots of work to be done.

The thing is you don't have to make up for all of TJD production for us to be better next year.  You need to upgrade the 2-4 spots and I think we did that at 4 with Reneau.  We need to be more balanced on the offensive end which makes it harder to guard.  We need to get better playing defense on the perimeter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Terrible at what exactly? If you don’t admit the torches come out every time  one thing doesn’t go our way…

I’d say Woodson has at least gotten IU pointed in the right direction, which at the minimum should be making the tourney. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

Terrible at what exactly? If you don’t admit the torches come out every time  one thing doesn’t go our way…

I’d say Woodson has at least gotten IU pointed in the right direction, which at the minimum should be making the tourney. 

That kind of reply is what you get from guys over on Rivals. At least he kept it descent where most over there will totally make it personal with fowl language

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

I haven't said a word about Caleb Love or Jamison Battle or Dalton Knecht or Nick Timberlake or any of the other guys IU reached out too, because in reality I KNOW you aren't going to land every single recruit.

But when you identify and make someone a priority like the IU staff had done with Ledlum, you need to land him. Period. 

If you want to keep shrugging off every single recruiting target that chooses elsewhere, more power to you, you do you, but don't act surprised when IU struggles next year because the players that the staff had identified and honed in on are playing elsewhere. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

IMO, you are misconstruing 'turning on' with being 'critical of' or 'questioning methods'. Woody hasn't proven that he can take this team to the next level because he hasn't gotten to that level. Facts. 

He's trending in a positive direction and that is good, but at the same time, he's not infallible. This is a message board, we have nothing better to do than critique our current situation. 

Sure, a handful of people want him fired, but they are a vast minority. A handful of people think the Earth is flat, but we're not declaring an education crisis. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I really don't see a "lot" of people turning on Coach Woodson at this juncture. He has -- and is, building momentum in a positive way. What is frustrating to witness (for me) is the notion that everything must be linear, meaning the trajectory must be smooth from point A to point B. Like life itself, that doesn't happen. There are ups and downs, but they don't always paint the full picture.

The "downs" cause many to look for the next shiny thing, be it Dusty May, Caleb Love, Chris Ledlum, Dalton Knecht, etc... The skills/outlook/approach/whateveryouwanttocallit that this staff was able to use to recruit JHS, TJD (yes, to keep him here), Malik, Bates, etc. didn't suddenly evaporate because Ledlum and others chose different schools.

Sometimes we miss out on players. Shit happens. Not every decision has to be a comprehensive indictment on the staff and program itself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So for you to be a fan it is championship or bust. You need to learn to enjoy the journey and not just the destination. You act like every year under RMK we were a championship caliber team. It was usually a couple years of being good and making the tournament and then having a chance at a championship.

Yeap, that’s what I said Scott. 😂Expectations and reality are two separate things. I expect to give everything we have to win every game we play but given the circumstances in any situation that are present I understand that isn’t going to happen. But those circumstances determine if I’m good with it or not. This year was a good year, but I expect Woody was shooting for more and is shooting for more in the future, ant least I hope he is.  Expectations are present. Enjoying the journey is something I’ll look back at. I’m not built to just be okay with anything less than perfection. But I’m mature enough and old enough to understand that perfection isn’t going to happen and there’s a journey that can be appreciated in most cases. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Has anyone considered that Ledlum has one year left to play and just decided that although he might have liked the IU environment better the odds were better of winning  more next tear at UT than at IU and winning and making tournament was important for to him in his last go around?

I'm sorry, no disrespect at all,......I had to do it. IU's making me a little sarcastic right now! lol

Comma GIFs | Tenor

IU usually lands recruits early in the process.  The longer it goes with someone we target, the less likely it seems that we land them.  Romeo was an exception, but i firmly believe the issues at UL made that possible.

Be interested in hearing opinions or theories on why it is that we lose out more often than not when there is a long courtship.

Or, is my observation off base?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I haven't said a word about Caleb Love or Jamison Battle or Dalton Knecht or Nick Timberlake or any of the other guys IU reached out too, because in reality I KNOW you aren't going to land every single recruit.

But when you identify and make someone a priority like the IU staff had done with Ledlum, you need to land him. Period. 

If you want to keep shrugging off every single recruiting target that chooses elsewhere, more power to you, you do you, but don't act surprised when IU struggles next year because the players that the staff had identified and honed in on are playing elsewhere. 

That's not really that fair. As they say, it takes two to tango.

Was Ledlum a priority for IU? Yes. But he has to want it as much as they do. Can't force someone into a relationship.

If New Mexico State made him a priority, would they "need" to land him? And would they be eviscerated if they did not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I really don't see a "lot" of people turning on Coach Woodson at this juncture. He has -- and is, building momentum in a positive way. What is frustrating to witness (for me) is the notion that everything must be linear, meaning the trajectory must be smooth from point A to point B. Like life itself, that doesn't happen. There are ups and downs, but they don't always paint the full picture.

The "downs" cause many to look for the next shiny thing, be it Dusty May, Caleb Love, Chris Ledlum, Dalton Knecht, etc... The skills/outlook/approach/whateveryouwanttocallit that this staff was able to use to recruit JHS, TJD (yes, to keep him here), Malik, Bates, etc. didn't suddenly evaporate because Ledlum and others chose different schools.

Sometimes we miss out on players. Shit happens. Not every decision has to be a comprehensive indictment on the staff and program itself.

I fully agree that CMW has the program on an upward trjectory.  Maybe the slope is a little flatter than we'd prefer, but the steady improvement has been there.  

We saw this past season we weren't ready to push teams like KU or AZ. I think the concern is if we take a step or two back next season - not that it doesn't happen to most teams, but there's a deja vu feeling to it. 

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

That's not really that fair. As they say, it takes two to tango.

Was Ledlum a priority for IU? Yes. But he has to want it as much as they do. Can't force someone into a relationship.

And that's why I'm being critical of the staff lol.

It's the staff's job to make these relationships work.

The staff missed on 4-5 guys last Fall/Winter on what should have been at minimum a 3 man class. 

The staff just turned over 61 ppg. We haven't landed a single perimeter/scoring threat in the portal after identifying several guys. You can blame the players all you want but at the end of the day it's the staffs job to land the players that they've identified as fits. I don't know any other way to put it. 

• Haha 2