Transfers with IU Interest

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I like our front court with Ware, Reneau and Sparks, and the backcourt looks solid, if XJ gets his waiver. What we need now are wings that can create (not just stand in the corner) and knock down the three!

I think looking at Cupps+Banks in a more positive light will help, too. I believe they are solidly in our Top 8-9 guys. 

No doubt we need no less than one wing, though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

do you think that partially has to do with Woodson being in the college for only 2 years, while these other coaches have been recruiting kids for 3,4, plus years. Got a late start in, i would imagine, most cases. After another 1 or two years, does this change with all coaches starting from scratch at the same time?

I think it’s a combination of assistant coaches recruiting in the areas they’re comfortable and Woodson just isn’t a grinder on the recruiting trail. IU is good at short recruitment’s and ones where they have a connection to the player or people close to the player. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Shouldn't have to do that. If you can't sell IU to basketball recruits you might need to find another job. 

This response is the best example possible of being disconnected from reality. IU is nowhere close in results or facilities to a very large amount of schools. 

This is why we have a certain set of fans who have expectations that can’t be met. Unless you want to sign up for the Bruce Pearl type guys who will find a way but in my experience those same disconnected fans who act like IU is still IU of 70s/80s and that “it sells itself” are the first ones who would never take a coach like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

If that is a reality, I bet it has little to do with coaches etc. My theory probably wouldn’t align with those that think it is the staff’s fault but you feel this has stretched beyond current staff correct? So it has to be something else. 

If you want something more concrete as to why that initial high didn’t last. I would bet it is facilities and overall “feel” 

The IU facilities don’t hold a candle to SEC schools. Now, you visit IU as a recruit first and you would feel as though it is great. I have been on those tours with a recruit. It is impressive, until you go to other schools and see it is not nearly as good.  That stuff matters a lot to kids. The dorms matter, the food they get etc. 

Thanks.  This is exactly the type of discussion I'm looking for.  Was not looking at all to pin it on the coaches.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU does well with recruitments where they have some kind of prior relationship. They seem to struggle with building relationships from scratch on the recruiting trail for various reasons and then winning those recruitments. This is where other schools seem to find a way to beat IU on the recruiting trail.

I would think schools where the coach has been there longer would have the obvious advantage. Even if the coach has moved from one school to the next, he has had a relationship with certain players for who knows how long. I know we have assistant coaches with many years experience in the NCAA in various capacities. Obviously, Coach Woodson, only in his second year coaching in the NCAA's is basically starting from scratch as a coach in building these relationships. What it takes and getting to the NBA, advantage > Woodson. 

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think it’s a combination of assistant coaches recruiting in the areas they’re comfortable and Woodson just isn’t a grinder on the recruiting trail. IU is good at short recruitment’s and ones where they have a connection to the player or people close to the player. 

Do you think Coach Woodson's recent knee surgery and possible inability to get out on the recruiting trail put him behind a bit? I know his surgery was during the dead period and he could still contact players by phone, zoom, etc, just not in person. I know doctors usually want people up soon after a knee surgery, but I don't know the extent and his limitations. Just a thought....

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Galloway committed in July before his Senior year.  I would not consider that to be 'late' by any means.

Leal as well.  Anyone that commits before their Senior season in high school kicks off is not late.

TJD committed in late November, so right on that borderline of the start of the high school season.  

Zeller was an edge if the seat commitment, so I'll accept that.

I need to look up the timing for guys like Bryant and Johnson, though I do recall Bryant having a Final 2 out there for a while.

Blackmon is a case study all his own and should not be used for validation one way or the other.

Maybe we're talking about two different things here. I thought you were talking about recruitments that last some time where the recruit takes all or most of their visits even after visiting IU?

All I mentioned qualify under that. I wasn't talking about the date. TJD for example took his visits and while he signed during the early period, he did take his visits and actually didn't even announce his signing until some time after the signing period had closed. 

Leal took officials after visiting IU and so did many if not all of the others I mentioned. 

28 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

People in Ware’s corner had connections to Ya. In recruiting those types of connections have been what’s carried recruiting under Woodson. IU hasn’t done well in recruitments they don’t have those connections which is what I meant by starting from scratch.

Because the relationship can overcome the other faults. The other thing that can overcome it is a local kid who has heard about the IU lore. Otherwise, what is there to sell? Results? Big Ten? Facilities? - strike out on all 3 yet so many of our fans act like this should be easy. Honestly, in some ways, it is remarkable we have got some do the guys we have. 

36 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Kel'el Ware hasn't proved a damn thing at this level. Ton of upside but recruiting rankings mean jack at this stage of the game. There's a reason why he was in the portal in the first place. 

Staff didn't add a single incoming freshman who can be counted on to significantly contribute next year on the heels of losing 4 starters. It's not amusing by any means. 

Ledlum has proven even less than Ware has at this level unless you are saying the Ivy League = Big Ten. He's literally played 14 games in his career against top 100 competition. Let's stop pretending like Ledlum is some elite level transfer prospect and Ware isn't. Ledlum would've been a fine addition, but he would've projected as a 4th starter or so. There are plenty of other options out there who can slot into a similar role. There are very few transfers who can provide what Ware does.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

This response is the best example possible of being disconnected from reality. IU is nowhere close in results or facilities to a very large amount of schools. 

This is why we have a certain set of fans who have expectations that can’t be met. Unless you want to sign up for the Bruce Pearl type guys who will find a way but in my experience those same disconnected fans who act like IU is still IU of 70s/80s and that “it sells itself” are the first ones who would never take a coach like that. 

Oh please. Explain the draw to go play basketball in Knoxville or Fayetteville.

I'll hang up and listen. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Ledlum has proven even less than Ware has at this level unless you are saying the Ivy League = Big Ten. He's literally played 14 games in his career against top 100 competition. Let's stop pretending like Ledlum is some elite level transfer prospect and Ware isn't. Ledlum would've been a fine addition, but he would've projected as a 4th starter or so. There are plenty of other options out there who can slot into a similar role. There are very few transfers who can provide what Ware does.

Ledlum would have been IU's leading scorer next year. He'll likely lead Tennessee in scoring next year as well.

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Oh please. Explain the draw to go play basketball in Knoxville or Fayetteville.

I'll hang up and listen. 

To a 19 year old kid with zero ties to any.of the 3 locations?

IU is not far superior. It's just.not.

UT has recent success in their side and they have a BEAUTIFUL campus.

Arkansas has a very very strong fan base, huge amounts of NIL momey available, an NBA guy as a coach and more recent success than IU.

In all seriousness, if all things start a zero, IU may very well come in a distant 3rd in this battle for young kids.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

To a 19 year old kid with zero ties to any.of the 3 locations?

IU is not far superior. It's just.not.

UT has recent success in their side and they have a BEAUTIFUL campus.

Arkansas has a very very strong fan base, huge ounts of NIL momey available, an NBA guy as a coach and more recent success than IU.

In all seriousness, if all things start a zero, IU may very well come in a distant 3rd in this battle for young kids.

Their basketball draw doesn't compare to Indiana. Hell basketball at both those school comes 3rd after baseball.

Get a clue. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Their basketball draw doesn't compare to Indiana. Hell basketball at both those school comes 3rd after baseball.

Get a clue. 

Go tell Ledlum to get a clue. And all the top level recruits Arkansas seems to be landing.

You are absolutely making zero sense.   🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Ledlum would have been IU's leading scorer next year. He'll likely lead Tennessee in scoring next year as well.

I hope I can find this one later...😂  I'll own it without hesitation if I'm wrong...absolutely not seeing what you're seeing here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Go tell Ledlum to get a clue. And all the top level recruits Arkansas seems to be landing.

You are absolutely making zero sense.   🤦‍♂️

That's my point. Good Lord.

Arkansas and Tennessee have staffs that know what the hell they're doing. IU doesn't. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Haha 5

I LOL at some of the posts on this message board. Let’s all accept mediocrity because we’re not Indiana of the ‘80s.

FYI - it’s OK if passionate fans think Indiana should be an easier sell to recruits than Tennessee or Arkansas. It’s a good point and Indiana (in terms of basketball) absolutely is. It what makes us still a top 10-15 job in the country. CMW would absolutely disagree with some of these posters that think otherwise. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

That's my point. Good Lord.

Arkansas and Tennessee have staffs that know what the hell they're doing. IU doesn't. 

So Alabama gets to be the best team in the country, or OSU is ever any good only because every other school has lazy coaches. Got it.

Because based on your theory, that's the only way a "football" school can beat a "basketball" school for those players.

You sure are a silly rabbit. 

• Like 1