Transfers with IU Interest

There are currently 13 uncommitted SF, SG & CGs in the top 100 of the portal. 6 aren't 100% projected somewhere. The highest ranked is Cleveland at 21. I'm not aware if IU has been mentioned as reaching out to any of the others. In addition to landing a couple of top 100 wings, it would be great if we could steal a Funk or Boum caliber player (who weren't ranked in the top 100) with the 3rd scholly. Just never know, though. Tanner Holden seemed like a can't miss for OSU and he was a non-factor.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

There are currently 13 uncommitted SF, SG & CGs in the top 100 of the portal. 6 aren't 100% projected somewhere. The highest ranked is Cleveland at 21. I'm not aware if IU has been mentioned as reaching out to any of the others. In addition to landing a couple of top 100 wings, it would be great if we could steal a Funk or Boum caliber player (who weren't ranked in the top 100) with the 3rd scholly. Just never know, though. Tanner Holden seemed like a can't miss for OSU and he was a non-factor.

Doubt you're getting someone as good as Funk with the last schollie, I don't know how many mins we would be selling... but someone with that skill set OR another backup PG would definitely be my preference.... along with a wing of starter caliber and probably another 6'6+ guy that can defend a 4.

I mean, those two dudes started on NCAAT teams. 

Transfer, Transfer, XJ, TG, Newton, Gunn, Leal, and Cupps is a lot of dudes 1-3, though. Transfer, Ware, Banks (3/4), Reneau, and Sparks to go along with that... nevermind, that could work. 

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU needs to throw the rankings away.  Look at each player individually.  If the coaches feel the #112th ranked player is a better fit with the IU roster than the 37th ranked player, don't let the rankings influence their decision.  

IU needs shooters, and that is intentionally plural.  Going into next season with multiple options available for that role, regardless of ranking,  is better than going in with no options at all.

100%--- we need one more guy, though, that's more than just a shooter-- has to be able to break his dude down off the dribble, as well. We can add a Kopp, one of them, but the other wing/1-3 that we add has to have some wiggle to his game. 

100% though.. these portal rankings are not relevant. I couldn't believe when I opened 24/7s up and Ware was still their 2nd ranked guy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU needs to throw the rankings away.  Look at each player individually.  If the coaches feel the #112th ranked player is a better fit with the IU roster than the 37th ranked player, don't let the rankings influence their decision.  

IU needs shooters, and that is intentionally plural.  Going into next season with multiple options available for that role, regardless of ranking,  is better than going in with no options at all.

Agree. So much is player evaluation and fit. How do you land a Funk (17ppg at Bucknell) or Boum (20ppg at UTEP) and avoid a Holden (20 ppg at Wright St)?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

MAYBE as your 3rd schollie with the three we have left... ?? 

Example-- Cleveland, DeLoach, and Fredrick lets just say... I would be fine with that as a trio to add at the end. With the understanding he's playing behind multiple people. 

Not sure what terms Cleveland left FSU on, but I was hoping maybe Woodson has some type of relationship with Leonard Hamilton from their NBA days that could help there. 

Total conjecture there on my part, just something I was thinking. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And there are hundreds of guys to fill that role in the portal. There will still be hundreds without a home in late May/June. You can get shooters pretty easy.

Seems very clear to me the staff is only going after what they feel are the best guys. They are not willing to just take a guy and they know they can get guys like that down the road if they truly strike out.

This is what many wanted for years. Up the talent level to compete outside Big. Woody said we had to “clearly get better personnel”In order to do that, you have to be willing to miss on a lot of them. We are not a top destination anymore. They are starting to come slowly with Woody. Hopefully more fans will see this and calm it a little.

Heck, seeing people here and Twitter say “go after C.J.” …. Really? Leal can shoot and move better than that guy. The staff won’t even play him. They want tall, quick, athletes who can shoot and defend. They are there but take time.

I also think they are talking a lot of back channels and trying to get other guys into portal. Really believe that. It is also why less names are coming up. Can’t talk about those. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure what terms Cleveland left FSU on, but I was hoping maybe Woodson has some type of relationship with Leonard Hamilton from their NBA days that could help there. 

Total conjecture there on my part, just something I was thinking. 

It kinda crossed my mind that Hamilton and Woody are a lot alike...Older coaches with no nonsense attitudes who hold you accountable...

And that maybe that's what prompted Cleveland into the portal...Just a thought

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Checks bounce from time to time. Glad you saved that to earn your win. Congrats. Left you your trophy on your post.

Aw, come on man...Even you gotta admit that it was pretty funny...I understand you guys miss sometimes, and that the information changes...

I do appreciate the intel though...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IDK. He's a career 53% shooter, 36% from 3 and 80% on FTs. Also averaged nearly 7 rpg at WSU

His 3P% was boosted by his freshman year, he shot a mediocre percentage on less than 1.5 attempts per game his sophmore/junior years. 3 point shooting wasn't an area of strength.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

IDK. He's a career 53% shooter, 36% from 3 and 80% on FTs. Also averaged nearly 7 rpg at WSU

Not all shooting percentages are the same. 

He is NOT a 36% 3pt shooter. I'm going to assume he has taken 135 WIDE open 3s at the division 1 level and is only able to hit 36% of them, which is not good. 

Doubt teams guard him out there. You asked why the first two "worked" and why that one didn't. He can't shoot and weighs 185lbs. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Not all shooting percentages are the same. 

He is NOT a 36% 3pt shooter. I'm going to assume he has taken 135 WIDE open 3s at the division 1 level and is only able to hit 36% of them, which is not good. 

Doubt teams guard him out there. You asked why the first two "worked" and why that one didn't. He can't shoot and weighs 185lbs. 

And you have to subtract 1 for the Rutgers debacle :) 

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Aw, come on man...Even you gotta admit that it was pretty funny...I understand you guys miss sometimes, and that the information changes...

I do appreciate the intel though...

Oh no doubt. I was just having some fun poking back. In my line of work, thick skin comes as a requirement. No harm in any of it. I did laugh a little 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

Oh, i was just seeing it was made on 4/20 from the peegs.com guy for a SG to oregon.  I know Knecht was CB'd to oregon last week, but the development of that new CB made me think something else may be going on behind the scenes with Knecht.  Maybe just me being hopeful and looking too much into it.  I know Knecht isn't a SG, but he's playing a similar style to me it seems like. 

Maybe all of IUs coaching staff needs to put on a full court presence, like the Vols coaching staff did with Ledlum in flipping his decision, just sayin'.......

• Like 1