Transfers with IU Interest

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Cupps is the backup PG in my mind and even Galloway can run it a bit in a pinch.  Hopefully the necessity for that would be rare but it is kind of there if we need it.

I get that. Again, I'm just looking for insurance for a long-term injury to Cupps or XJ. Gunn and Newton don't provide that.

58 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Isn’t Cupps a better defender than JHS though? I thought that JHS defense wasn’t his strength. 

Cupps is a very capable defender. JHS being 6’6 helped him out a lot because he doesn’t seem to have quickness to stay in front. Seen Cupps play live multiple times. Always hardest worker on the floor, stronger than he appears, and puts himself in great spots. Will he struggle with some guys that are stronger/quicker than him as a freshman? Probably. Give him a year and I think he’s gonna be a great defensive player. Obviously it was high school, but in a few of the games I watched (mind you I watched 12 games of his in high school) he wrecked the other teams offense with his pressure and playing the passing lanes. A lot easier in high school than college. Haven’t watched many highlight tapes or AAU stuff, but regular high school games no question about his defensive IQ and tenacity. His vision on offense is to me what makes him special. It’s fun to watch him play. Watching him and Rolf a couple years ago was fun to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Cupps is a very capable defender. JHS being 6’6 helped him out a lot because he doesn’t seem to have quickness to stay in front. Seen Cupps play live multiple times. Always hardest worker on the floor, stronger than he appears, and puts himself in great spots. Will he struggle with some guys that are stronger/quicker than him as a freshman? Probably. Give him a year and I think he’s gonna be a great defensive player. Obviously it was high school, but in a few of the games I watched (mind you I watched 12 games of his in high school) he wrecked the other teams offense with his pressure and playing the passing lanes. A lot easier in high school than college. Haven’t watched many highlight tapes or AAU stuff, but regular high school games no question about his defensive IQ and tenacity. His vision on offense is to me what makes him special. It’s fun to watch him play. Watching him and Rolf a couple years ago was fun to see. 

Thanks for the insight! So I believe it was his last AAU tourney but he went whole weekend without turning ball over 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Initial79 said:

Remains to be seen but I don’t think this is what the staff ideally wants. They will reach out lots of guys but I can’t see them being excited for him.

TG would be the same or better with that competition level. They want elite athletes and ideally a 1 year guy to kneel scholarships free for next class. 

Oh no doubt… He is a more refined shooter/scorer than Galloway but no where as well rounded.

I think a guy like Dingle made sense before but now maybe a guy that can put it on the deck but also can knock down a catch and shoot 3 as well.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Makes sense to me. Not you? 

No guarantees he would win out for the starting job. Unless it’s a top flight transfer/draft drop out I just don’t see is bringing in a starter. Probably more on the line of Walker as far as skill/fit goes. I suspect it won’t be easy to convince a 6th-7th man to join until the dance cards elsewhere fill up.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No guarantees he would win out for the starting job. Unless it’s a top flight transfer/draft drop out I just don’t see is bringing in a starter. Probably more on the line of Walker as far as skill/fit goes. I suspect it won’t be easy to convince a 6th-7th man to join until the dance cards elsewhere fill up.

Right...but I guess I'm surprised he didn't even listen to IU's pitch.  What's the attraction to MS?

42 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Right...but I guess I'm surprised he didn't even listen to IU's pitch.  What's the attraction to MS?

I don’t think we were that interested. The staff keeps showing us what they want. 

it makes sense to me as he is not a top p6 guy and just a chance for him to move up. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

These so and so reached out lists idk about. We seem to be on every list. Not buying that. 2 days later with that list he is off to Miss. St.?

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Initial79 said:

I don’t think we were that interested. The staff keeps showing us what they want. 

it makes sense to me as he is not a top p6 guy and just a chance for him to move up. 

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

These so and so reached out lists idk about. We seem to be on every list. Not buying that. 2 days later with that list he is off to Miss. St.?

You guys are probably right.  I know nothing about his game.  I'd also agree that there's probably a lot of padding in the interest list.  A lot of these guys probably don't get beyond the first phone call.

• Like 2