2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to Purdue

btownqb

From the Purdue board regarding Kanon:

Last week, Catchings indicated to Purdue that he intended to re-open his recruitment. He did so suddenly and by himself outside of his family and coaches knowledge. It did not go over well with his family and coaches, who have been strongly in purdues corner, and remain so to this day. Since then, conversations between Purdue and the player and the family have been normal. Purdue will have an in-home visit with him Friday. Catchings is a very introverted kid. He’s starting to come out of his shell a little bit.l and does have a bit of an edge to him. He just returned from USA basketball crawling with NBA people, agents and shoe company people. He knocked everyone’s socks off there, per reports. As soon as his ranking spiked people, all kinds of people, were there hounding him….getting in his head. That’s the deal: people Chase the ranking when you have it. There’s nothing illegal about other schools contacting Catchings, but the family appreciates the fact that Painter believed in him early and nobody else did. Catching himself was pissed that nobody else offered him. Including Indiana.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Last week, Catchings indicated to Purdue that he intended to re-open his recruitment. He did so suddenly and by himself outside of his family and coaches knowledge. It did not go over well with his family and coaches, who have been strongly in purdues corner, and remain so to this day. Since then, conversations between Purdue and the player and the family have been normal. Purdue will have an in-home visit with him Friday. Catchings is a very introverted kid. He’s starting to come out of his shell a little bit.l and does have a bit of an edge to him. He just returned from USA basketball crawling with NBA people, agents and shoe company people. He knocked everyone’s socks off there, per reports. As soon as his ranking spiked people, all kinds of people, were there hounding him….getting in his head. That’s the deal: people Chase the ranking when you have it. There’s nothing illegal about other schools contacting Catchings, but the family appreciates the fact that Painter believed in him early and nobody else did. Catching himself was pissed that nobody else offered him. Including Indiana.

Pretty sad that the kid has to be coerced by his family and coaches to go somewhere he apparently doesn’t want to.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Beamerball said:

Once the doubt is there, it is only a matter of time IMO.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

@Stlboiler23 is there a reason you're laughing at my post? 

Just crazy all of the “he said, she said” rumors I’ve seen over the past 24 hours. Just found your update funny because I’ve seen that he’s going to IU, IU isn’t a factor, he’s staying with Purdue, etc…Brian’s post today was much more reassuring but who really knows at the end of the day. He said that Kanon was pissed that he visited IU and didn’t get an offer and that bridge was possibly burned. It’s total chaos. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Is coerced the right word?

If it’s true he contacted Purdue and got his hand smacked then yes. If he has doubts those rarely end well. What needs to happen is he decommits and reviews his options. If Kanon wants it anyway. Sounds like he might. The doubt/question train is rolling. 

1 minute ago, Victobmyboy said:

If it’s true he contacted Purdue and got his hand smacked then yes. If he has doubts those rarely end well. What needs to happen is he decommits and reviews his options. If Kanon wants it anyway. Sounds like he might. The doubt/question train is rolling. 

I mean his family has been through the recruiting process much more so than most recruits and probably can smell the  BS from a mile away. My guess is some other recruits at the USA camp got in his ear and peer pressure factored in. But when he got home he discussed it with his parents and cooler heads prevailed so to speak. But that’s just my opinion lol. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean his family has been through the recruiting process much more so than most recruits and probably can smell the  BS from a mile away. My guess is some other recruits at the USA camp got in his ear and peer pressure factored in. But when he got home he discussed it with his parents and cooler heads prevailed so to speak. But that’s just my opinion lol. 

I also heard he wants to explore playing with his AAU teammates. That makes more sense than a bunch of random guys. I’d say if he’s doubting at all they need to go through the process not force him. 

Edited by Victobmyboy
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Or it’s a kid that committed during his sophomore year who had a moment of doubt. I’m sure that happens to plenty of kids who commit that early. 

I don't think kids are regularly calling to decommit and then being harangued back into their commitment.

He might not end up at Indiana, but I bet he doesn't finish a career at Purdue.

• Like 2

I think both camps are right. Boiler is most likely right that he got to chatting with some people at camps and thought about opening/did open it up. The ones that say "once the seed of doubt is planted, it can sprout" are also correct. Kids change their mind approximately 500x a month, depending on the direction of the wind and the position of the moon. 

Moral: this is fun message board fodder but no one should lose sleep over it. 

Ok back to my previously scheduled board meltdown! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think kids are regularly calling to decommit and then being harangued back into their commitment.

He might not end up at Indiana, but I bet he doesn't finish a career at Purdue.

I’d say he’s doubting and the parents/coaches are doing due diligence. Obviously something is going on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Btownstrength said:

I think both camps are right. Boiler is most likely right that he got to chatting with some people at camps and thought about opening/did open it up. The ones that say "once the seed of doubt is planted, it can sprout" are also correct. Kids change their mind approximately 500x a month, depending on the direction of the wind and the position of the moon. 

Moral: this is fun message board fodder but no one should lose sleep over it. 

Ok back to my previously scheduled board meltdown! 

You scheduled the meltdown? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beamerball said:

BS!  No way this "insider" knows this much detail.   The kid may or may not go to Purdue.  Seems like there is probably some type of smoke, but to go into this much drama is an internet hero pulling people's leg.   It's is entertaining though.  Like a sports person's version of "Days of Our Lives". 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JJack said:

BS!  No way this "insider" knows this much detail.   The kid may or may not go to Purdue.  Seems like there is probably some type of smoke, but to go into this much drama is an internet hero pulling people's leg.   It's is entertaining though.  Like a sports person's version of "Days of Our Lives". 

Would you doubt it if Rabjohns had a similar update for an IU commitment?

Neubert is a great journalist who doesn’t pull people’s legs. Quite the opposite actually.