Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How does JG ‘speak’ to recruiting? Do others say IU failed the likes of JG and Tamar? Or do people look at JG at Maryland and say it wasn’t IU it was JG?

I’m always on the player side 

Cupps gets all the credit for getting up at 5am….same as Edey or TJD 

Not convinced HS or NAIA coaches aren’t just as good in some cases 

12 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

I haven't watched Maryland play but I saw the box scores and Geronimo hasn't produced many points. He's scored 2 and 4 the first two games. Kind of figures IMO because Maryland's offense is going through Julian Reese.

He’s also shooting 40% from the line and averaging 2.5 turnovers per. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

How does JG ‘speak’ to recruiting? Do others say IU failed the likes of JG and Tamar? Or do people look at JG at Maryland and say it wasn’t IU it was JG?

JG is a good athlete and a bad basketball player.

TB may have been a poor job from our staff getting the most out of him. He’s got talent. It also could just be a change of scenery was needed. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

JG is a good athlete and a bad basketball player.

True...I think he could be better if he'd just play to his strengths rather than try to make "the jump" in one game...every game...

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

TB may have been a poor job from our staff getting the most out of him. He’s got talent. It also could just be a change of scenery was needed. 

He had a good game vs Arkansas Pine Bluff but didn't fare so well last night against Memphis...Inconsistent, which is pretty much what we saw last year...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

True...I think he could be better if he'd just play to his strengths rather than try to make "the jump" in one game...every game...

He had a good game vs Arkansas Pine Bluff but didn't fare so well last night against Memphis...Inconsistent, which is pretty much what we saw last year...

TB is good against mediocre mid-major talent 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

As Stueb said, it's a bit premature since Cupps has only played one game, but in that one game he literally turned the entire game around with his defense. 

I agree with you….

Says something about Cupps that we already knew and something about the lack of effort and attention to detail about others he replaced 

Hard to be a leader as a true freshman 

• Confused 2

Minnesota has surprised a little winning both of their games by 20+ (Bethune Cookman and UTSA)...6'10 junior Isaiah Ihnen (who hasn't played since 2020-21 when Lil Ricky was coaching them) is off to a nice start at 14 PPG and 6 of 7 shooting from 3 and Max Christie's little brother Cam has been pretty good as well... The Gophers aren't deep, but they might have been a bit underrated coming into the season...Big test for them coming up Thursday at home vs Missouri...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Boy, Maryland is awfully careless with the ball...8 TOs with 3 to go in the 1st...

The only thing that really worries me about Maryland is if we're ever in a close game with them, which Big Ten games tend to be, is that I trust Jahmir Young to take over a game in the last few minutes over anyone IU has. 

That's my big concern for IU this season. Who do we have that can take over offensively late in close games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The only thing that really worries me about Maryland is if we're ever in a close game with them, which Big Ten games tend to be, is that I trust Jahmir Young to take over a game in the last few minutes over anyone IU has. 

That's my big concern for IU this season. Who do we have that can take over offensively late in close games. 

With X back, I feel a little better about facing Young/Buie and the quicker guards in the conference...But you're right...would like a "go to" to emerge for IU...

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, BGleas said:

Watching a little of Maryland vs UAB. Geronimo not getting the start today after starting their first two games. 

He was the first to enter the game off the bench though. 

I think it's pretty clear they overrated his abilities.  Great athlete, but still hasn't really learned the game. 

Hanner Perea II

• Like 1