Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just generic, board complaints annoy me. There is no substance to them, people just watch the game in a vacuum, then give judgement. He's started and played exactly who he should have for three straight years. 

There were some on this board, multiple boards wanted Jordan Geronimo playing A WING!! insane. They wanted him starting over Miller Kopp. 

Before that they wanted TG to start over Miller Kopp.

Now that Miller Kopp is gone, they want more Miller Kopps lol 

Who he is able to start, as in, who is on our roster--- is the issue. Or it has been. 

Sure. But there hasn't been multiple instances where he needed to start someone else than we who rolled out there in that particular game. And it's certainly not some "major" complaint. Who are options are TO start, are the problem. 

I think some the problem with lineups is that us older fans watched coach Knight. He wasn't afraid to bench a player who he thought wasn't playing great. It might not be on a permanent basis but he would use the bench for motivation. Also if a player played great in the first half off the bench RMK would usually start that player to start the second half.

A perfect example of that was a game I just watched was the final 4 game vs LSU in 81. Ted Kitchen got 3 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game. They brought in Jim Thomas and he played great. Kitchen never came back in the game and Thomas played the rest of the game. We also had 3 starters played all 40 minutes of the game. Another one played 37 and only went out after fouling out with 3 minutes to go in the game.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think some the problem with lineups is that us older fans watched coach Knight. He wasn't afraid to bench a player who he thought wasn't playing great. It might not be on a permanent basis but he would use the bench for motivation. Also if a player played great in the first half off the bench RMK would usually start that player to start the second half.

A perfect example of that was a game I just watched was the final 4 game vs LSU in 81. Ted Kitchen got 3 fouls in the first 5 minutes of the game. They brought in Jim Thomas and he played great. Kitchen never came back in the game and Thomas played the rest of the game. We also had 3 starters played all 40 minutes of the game. Another one played 37 and only went out after fouling out with 3 minutes to go in the game.

who'd you want benched this season?

Kitchel played 23 mins in that game. No starters in that game played all 40 mins. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1981-03-28-indiana.html

So that seems like a really bad example and makes your overall point confusing. 

Heck--- Isiah Thomas only played 26 mins. 

That box score and the mins distribution look identical to the box scores from this year/every year. This is also a complete waste of time trying to take stuff from 1981 and use it as some rule now and a way to criticize Woodson. Criticize Woodson for the things he actually does poorly. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

who'd you want benched this season?

Kitchel played 23 mins in that game. No starters in that game played all 40 mins. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1981-03-28-indiana.html

So that seems like a really bad example and makes your overall point confusing. 

Heck--- Isiah Thomas only played 26 mins. 

That box score and the mins distribution look identical to the box scores from this year/every year. This is also a complete waste of time trying to take stuff from 1981 and use it as some rule now and a way to criticize Woodson. Criticize Woodson for the things he actually does poorly. 

Damn, my bad I was actually thinking of the championship game vs UNC. I watched both games in the last week or so.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1981-03-30-indiana.html

Really that wasn't my main point but trying to tell you why some fans question how Woodson handles substitutions and lineups. We grew up watching one of the best if not the best college coach of all time. We saw what he did worked and he won with it. Not saying we are right or wrong but explaining how some fans might think.

Edited by IU Scott

57 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

One of these seem to be different than the others. :)

Rankings guys second guessing themselves lol. 

Edit: They must have heard me because he just jumped 63 spots and is now a solid 4* lol. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Edit: They must have heard me because he just jumped 63 spots and is now a solid 4* lol. 

seems to be good at basketball, but not very smart :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Purdue guy comes to IU site to pump up Purdue recruit that IU fans don’t give two chits about.  IU fans make fun of Purdue.  Sounds like a normal day around here.

Slow offseason and it’s a B1G thread lol.  And the most recent tweet includes players that IU is targeting. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

MP is an idiot wasting time traveling, scouting, meeting coaches & families 

Just play golf and give a 💰 💼 to whatever sophomore blows up at “lesser school” 

Which Purdue player leaves for a bag?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Purdue guy comes to IU site to pump up Purdue recruit that IU fans don’t give two chits about.  IU fans make fun of Purdue.  Sounds like a normal day around here.

Here I thought he posted it to show the 2 Illini players. Huh.

• Haha 2

In REAL Big 10 news (not this Purdue garbage about kids who've never played a game at the collegiate level)...

Payton Sandfort is withdrawing from the NBA draft and returning to Iowa

Coleman Hawkins is withdrawing from the NBA draft and not returning to Illinois

Rienk Mast (Nebraska) is out for the year with knee surgery... medical red shirt for this upcoming year 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Saw this on FB and was dumb enough to read comments. One person was like: 'word on the street is that he's going to fetch $4 mil on the NIL market." LOL. If this cry baby gets $4 mil I'll jump off a bridge. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Saw this on FB and was dumb enough to read comments. One person was like: 'word on the street is that he's going to fetch $4 mil on the NIL market." LOL. If this cry baby gets $4 mil I'll jump off a bridge. 

I saw an interview with him on X where they asked what other Big 10 coach he'd like to play for, and he said Steve Pikiell (not counting Illinois)...

🤔

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In REAL Big 10 news (not this Purdue garbage about kids who've never played a game at the collegiate level)...

Payton Sandfort is withdrawing from the NBA draft and returning to Iowa

Rienk Mast (Nebraska) is out for the year with knee surgery... medical red shirt for this upcoming year 

I think incoming conference players are a relevant topic in a thread about the conference but to each their own. Sounds like the B1G once again runs through WL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6