Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

50 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to emphatically agree on this point! Said it a couple times, Yes athletes are getting paid with NIL. However, family members, handlers, AAU coaches and promoters are not NIL recipients! THEY STILL HAVE THEIR HANDS OUT!!!!

Easy as pie to build that in to an NIL payment.  "I want 50K in this account, 25K in this account and the balance in this account." Done.  And it's not like these transactions are going to be audited with a fine tooth comb. 

50 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Easy as pie to build that in to an NIL payment.  "I want 50K in this account, 25K in this account and the balance in this account." Done.  And it's not like these transactions are going to be audited with a fine tooth comb. 

Once again, what you propose doesn’t happen with above the table NIL. The slime is still there.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Who's to say it doesn't?

I know you are a high level thinker, think about it. The Cam Newton stuff still goes on and it is most definitely not above table. 
Cam Newton was declared ineligible twice — Nov. 10, 2010, and Nov. 30, 2010, — but was reinstated in time for Auburn’s next game in each case. The NCAA determined Rogers tried to act as Newton’s athletic scholarship agent, but Newton was reinstated each time because he had no knowledge of any pay-for-play scheme.”

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I know you are a high level thinker, think about it. The Cam Newton stuff still goes on and it is most definitely not above table. 
Cam Newton was declared ineligible twice — Nov. 10, 2010, and Nov. 30, 2010, — but was reinstated in time for Auburn’s next game in each case. The NCAA determined Rogers tried to act as Newton’s athletic scholarship agent, but Newton was reinstated each time because he had no knowledge of any pay-for-play scheme.”

Cam played before NIL and before the rules regarding agents were relaxed.  Relaxed rules = a lot more grey area. 

I'm not saying it DOESN'T happen.  I'm saying the need for guys that know all the below the surface networks aren't nearly as important. 

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Cam played before NIL and before the rules regarding agents were relaxed.  Relaxed rules = a lot more grey area. 

I'm not saying it DOESN'T happen.  I'm saying the need for guys that know all the below the surface networks aren't nearly as important. 

Yes and what I’m saying is programs/coaches with well established runners still have advantages when it comes to those grey areas. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

"Clinging" would imply that I had this narrative prior to 2024.  Also, nice Reddit-style attempt at a shut down.  "Please never change".  What, no clown emoji? C'mon now...

Nowhere near as important as it once was. 

"going to go the way of the dodo" certainly sounds like you've had it a while.

Hey Luke Goode is in the portal, buzz for IU and ND. You guys could certainly use his shooting skills, he can be the new Miller Kopp. 😁

Just now, BruceDouglas said:

"going to go the way of the dodo" certainly sounds like you've had it a while.

So just because I say something is going to become obsolete/replaced, it means I've had that thought that long also?

I could say "With my new robotic mower that I bought yesterday, my old mower can go the way of the dodo".  I obviously wouldn't have had that thought very long, yet it holds the same context. 

Goode rumors have been flying since last Friday.  He was in Bloomington for Little 5 visiting his brother. 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Where I'm sure he'll start and get 30 minutes per game 🙄

Lol he might. But he picked a great school and a great program after getting 2 degrees from Purdue. This all boils down to it not being about lack of NIL for him leaving. He was always going to leave (same with Morton) after the season.  We didn’t even attempt to bring him back. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

He already has a BA and MBA from Purdue so that’d be smart to get another degree from a school like Duke, get paid, and play for a good team. 

I would hope in his mind that he knows he isn't NBA material, so not as if he's trying to improve draft stock

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I would hope in his mind that he knows he isn't NBA material, so not as if he's trying to improve draft stock

Yep I think that’s a good call. And being 25 with an undergrad/masters from Purdue with a masters from Duke will look great on any resume. 

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Yep I think that’s a good call. And being 25 with an undergrad/masters from Purdue with a masters from Duke will look great on any resume. 

Maybe...but wait until prospective employers get a load of his ego.:coffee:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Hasn't most of Duke's team entered the Portal? He probably will get that much playing time.

They have, but I'm sure Duke will be a prominent destination for the uncommitted portal kids, and they do have the #1 (high school) recruiting class coming in...

I guess we'll see...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

They have, but I'm sure Duke will be a prominent destination for the uncommitted portal kids, and they do have the #1 (high school) recruiting class coming in...

I guess we'll see...

Gillis will have to learn how to flop and cry like a petulant child in order to play big minutes at Duke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2