Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

He's already said he's done with Purdue after this year...

Link

I don’t believe it. If they don’t win it all I could easily see him coming back for more guaranteed NIL money. He will never make as much in the nba on two way contracts as what he can make at Purdue.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t believe it. If they don’t win it all I could easily see him coming back for more guaranteed NIL money. He will never make as much in the nba on two way contracts as what he can make at Purdue.

I don't think he makes much as a Canadian, they have to get creative and i believe its not alot or near what it could be.

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think he makes much as a Canadian, they have to get creative and i believe its not alot or near what it could be.

This is correct and Purdue had to go through some kind of US Immigration employment loophole to get Edey his NIL.

Edey is on an F-1 Student Visa and the restrictions are pretty dumb. Basically US immigration law makes it very hard to pay foreign players NIL. Far beyond Zach Edey this will prevent many international players from earning NIL money and or equivalent money compared to their American teammates and diminishes the likelihood of another Edey

"The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

F-1 students may also be eligible to work off-campus on a case-by-case basis as a result of special situations such as severe economic hardship or special student relief." 

Basically, international players have no incentive to come to the US and play basketball if their intent is to earn NIL and make it to the NBA. 

Edited by SawatchHoosier

40 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

This is correct and Purdue had to go through some kind of US Immigration employment loophole to get Edey his NIL.

Edey is on an F-1 Student Visa and the restrictions are pretty dumb. Basically US immigration law makes it very hard to pay foreign players NIL. Far beyond Zach Edey this will prevent many international players from earning NIL money and or equivalent money compared to their American teammates and diminishes the likelihood of another Edey

"The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. After the first academic year, F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

F-1 students may also be eligible to work off-campus on a case-by-case basis as a result of special situations such as severe economic hardship or special student relief." 

Basically, international players have no incentive to come to the US and play basketball if their intent is to earn NIL and make it to the NBA. 

Honest question, what other countries have the equivalent of NIL opportunities?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Honest question, what other countries have the equivalent of NIL opportunities?

You make a really good point here. If the international players weren't going to make money then it wouldn't matter if they couldn't get an NIL. Below is some general data for Europe.

Region/Country League Average Salary U$D Max Salary U$D
Europe      
Europe Euroleague 500k-800k/season 4m/season
Spain ACB 250k-500k/season 4m/season
Turkey BCL 250k-500k/season 3.7m/season
Russia VTB United 200k-450k/season 4m/season
Italy Serie A 180k-350k/season 2m/season
Greece Greek A1 60k-250k/season 2.5m/season
Germany BBL 100k-350k/season 1m/season
Israel Premier L. 80k-250k/season 1.7m/season
France LNB Pro A 80k-200k/season 300k/season
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

And yet he signs for fans after every home game…..over an hour for free 

8 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

And yet he signs for fans after every home game…..over an hour for free 

Matt Painter is a pretty smart coach. He purposely puts Edey near average sized people and children after each game to help him practice not hacking all the time. He's only hospitalized 34 kids this season compared to 102 last season. 

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Matt Painter is a pretty smart coach. He purposely puts Edey near average sized people and children after each game to help him practice not hacking all the time. He's only hospitalized 34 kids this season compared to 102 last season. 

He used to average an elbow to the face every half or more 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SawatchHoosier said:

image.jpeg.5fe0e7afa730ee624c7dfeaa9b4e9cfa.jpeg

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ve heard he’s making well over a million. 

And while he pays taxes in the US for that "income", he does not pay any taxes in Canada on that income. Canada does not tax citizens income outside of Canada, whereas the US taxes world-wide income. The US is one of only 2 countries on the planet to do so, and IIRC the other country (can't remember it's name) has about 500 people in it.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:53 PM, DWB said:

And while he pays taxes in the US for that "income", he does not pay any taxes in Canada on that income. Canada does not tax citizens income outside of Canada, whereas the US taxes world-wide income. The US is one of only 2 countries on the planet to do so, and IIRC the other country (can't remember it's name) has about 500 people in it.

He is paid in Canada.  His visa limits what he can do here.

3 hours ago, Courtsense2 said:

He is paid in Canada.  His visa limits what he can do here.

His NIL money is paid thru Canada ?? Not doubting your word, just seems wierd. I could certainly believe that he has other sources of income in Canada, but I would have thought his NIL money was paid in the states. My bad if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

His NIL money is paid thru Canada ?? Not doubting your word, just seems wierd. I could certainly believe that he has other sources of income in Canada, but I would have thought his NIL money was paid in the states. My bad if I'm wrong.

His NIL is paid in maple syrup. 

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 9:47 PM, DWB said:

His visa has earnings limitations.  He can receive Wendy's gift cards but if they want to pay him $$ it has to be in CA

Edited by Courtsense2

On 3/24/2024 at 1:53 PM, DWB said:

Good problem to have lol. From what we’ve heard, the game in Toronto against Alabama he cleaned up with NIL opportunities.