B1G Football

rico

4 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Marvin Harrison Jr. just hurt his ankle and had to be assisted off the field. Not putting weight on it. Maybe high ankle sprain...

He is in injury tent now.

Good News. He is out of tent and they wrapped his ankle and he is walking around putting weight on it now. Hopefully it was just a twisted ankle with no real damage.

Living 20 years in SEC land I kept hearing how they didn’t need to play a tough non-conference game because playing a conference schedule was tougher than any other team’s whole schedule. Based on the make up of conferences next year the BIG has 6 of the current top 10 teams and the SEC has 2! And still they will say football everywhere else sucks?!

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Living 20 years in SEC land I kept hearing how they didn’t need to play a tough non-conference game because playing a conference schedule was tougher than any other team’s whole schedule. Based on the make up of conferences next year the BIG has 6 of the current top 10 teams and the SEC has 2! And still they will say football everywhere else sucks?!

You are my new best friend. Everything is cyclical,  but the SEC is definitely weaker this year than in recent years. Our new B1G members from the PAC are looking strong. My biggest beef is with the lack of penalty for playing less conference games.  How the SEC isn’t penalized in the rankings for playing Austin Peay, Furman, or ETSU in November is beyond me. Oh well, times are changing. 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, Drroogh said:

All that matters is national championships for the media and well there is no comparison there. I think if you took the additions we might be better this year but it’s closer than you think.

I think we made a huge leap forward but let’s be real…the snap shot you take is very convenient for the potential B1G. SEC has 7 from 11-25 (12,13,14)and B1G none. The reason Alabama is not in the top 10 is because they played Texas and LSU played Florida St. while Michigan, USC, Oregon, Washington have yet to play anyone decent at all. Let’s see how the year shakes out in the end…you might be correct…maybe there is a changing landscape but I doubt it’s anything but a slight shift. I agree they will need to play more conference games though.

I think the real head scratcher is this….how the heck did the PAC12 break up….they have 7, 8 ,9, 10 ranked undefeated teams…plus 16, 19….you could argue they are the best conference really lol!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All that matters is national championships for the media and well there is no comparison there. I think if you took the additions we might be better this year but it’s closer than you think.

I think we made a huge leap forward but let’s be real…the snap shot you take is very convenient for the potential B1G. SEC has 7 from 11-25 (12,13,14)and B1G none. The reason Alabama is not in the top 10 is because they played Texas and LSU played Florida St. while Michigan, USC, Oregon, Washington have yet to play anyone decent at all. Let’s see how the year shakes out in the end…you might be correct…maybe there is a changing landscape but I doubt it’s anything but a slight shift. I agree they will need to play more conference games though.

I think the real head scratcher is this….how the heck did the PAC12 break up….they have 7, 8 ,9, 10 ranked undefeated teams…plus 16, 19….you could argue they are the best conference really lol!

As of right now I definitely think the PAC is the best conference. I'm sure the water will find it's level but right now the PAC is.

• Like 1

Just now, Seeking6 said:

As of right now I definitely think the PAC is the best conference. I'm sure the water will find it's level but right now the PAC is.

A lot of things suck from all this realignment…but just another one is honestly bowl games lose a ton of their luster. It was always interesting to see all these out of conference teams play each other and see how teams matched up when they normally never played each other. Now with basically 2 power conferences instead of 5 semi equal power conferences it just doesn’t seem like it will feel the same to me. You will get better in season matchups but I think the bowl games will feel like more of a let down for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Wasn’t my point at all. However I agree with what you’re stating. To understand my point as @Hoosierinbhamdoes maybe you should spend some quality time in the heart of SEC land because for them it isn’t just about winning NCs it’s about an overwhelming superiority that nobody else plays football close to what is played in the SEC!

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 3:06 PM, Drroogh said:

Wasn’t my point at all. However I agree with what you’re stating. To understand my point as @Hoosierinbhamdoes maybe you should spend some quality time in the heart of SEC land because for them it isn’t just about winning NCs it’s about an overwhelming superiority that nobody else plays football close to what is played in the SEC!

I lived in Kentucky for 15 years and in Florida for the last 4….oh I hear the Alabama and Florida fans regularly…there were some UK football fans that switched allegiance back from Alabama for a bit but I think most of those will convert back soon…and absolutely I recognize their arrogance. That said they also have backed it up with what we’ve seen happen in the CFP. To add that it has been multiple programs and not just one like Ohio St….they have Florida, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and Georgia all winning it…hard to ignore it’s the premier college conference for football is it not? If I’m missing the point I apologize but I’ve lived down here for basically half my life and while I don’t root for any of them….well I agree with them.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, TheWatShot said:

I was going to ask if Iowa had set any records by erupting for 26 points. Turns out their offense only scored one touchdown. Four field goals and a punt return touchdown accounted for their other points. 

Surprised no one has mentioned that Cade McNamara is now out for the year.  Ouch for that Iowa offense.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:14 PM, TheWatShot said:

I was going to ask if Iowa had set any records by erupting for 26 points. Turns out their offense only scored one touchdown. Four field goals and a punt return touchdown accounted for their other points. 

This was Cade McNamara before the season….guess he doesn’t have to listen to it anymore since he is out.

But, for me, it’s the biggest opportunity to flip (the offense). That’s what I get fired up about. Please, just keep on saying it’s the sh*ttiest offense in college football. Please just think we are gonna be so shitty next year. Please.

— Cade McNamara on Iowa’s offense, via The Room