Immaculate Grid

rico

On 8/20/2023 at 8:45 AM, 5fouls said:

Found a flaw in yesterday's grid.  Was looking at the Summary after my grid was complete and noticed they indicated Arizona had 76 hitters with a 300+ batting average.  

I thought no way they had that many in their less than 30 years of existence.  So, I pulled up the list and they had utility players and even PITCHERS on that list who were nowhere close to qualifying for a batting title.

Sloppy.

Sorry for the late reply.  But after reading your post I went and looked up Jarrod Parker of the D-backs.  Parker was a local kid.  He was a pitcher and has career batting average of .500(1-2) with Zona.  The one hit was double.  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Sorry for the late reply.  But after reading your post I went and looked up Jarrod Parker of the D-backs.  Parker was a local kid.  He was a pitcher and has career batting average of .500(1-2) with Zona.  The one hit was double.  

You might have got a .00000000000000000000000000001 rarity score for that one.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can honestly say, I do not remember, or never knew, who the heck Mack Jones was.

He was an original Expo...Came from the Braves in the expansion draft in 1969...

1969 was kinda a seminal year for my fandom with the Cubs and all...I knew pretty much every player on every team

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

I was immaculate today.  But, with a large score.  I had zero chance coming up with anyone other than the obvious for Astro .300 lifetime hitter. 

And, for Padres, after reviewing the list, I may have been able to get 1 or 2 others if I thought about it long enough.  But, I caved and went obvious there as well.

For .300 lifetime hitters, i normally choose guys from the 1920's and 1930's.  But both those teams were 1960 decade expansion clubs.  Well known players that are career .300 guys are few and far between.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

EBA09BE8-4A89-4B17-9061-BFAEF6F59F0A.jpeg

Good call on Fred Norman... The Reds pried both Norman and my pick, Clay Kirby from the hapless Padres of the early 70s... I thought for sure they nab Randy Jones too, but Kroc was smart enough to keep him... He was one of the best pitchers in baseball for a couple of years, on woeful teams... 

• Like 1