Immaculate Grid

rico

28 today.  Got really lucky on the first square I completed.  On Melvin Mora, I thought I was answering Orioles 2B square, but apparently clicked on Orioles 100 run square instead.  

The 1919 White Sox are always good to me.

Probably could have done better on Brewers Runs, but it was my last square and I was determined to go with anyone I thought of other than Braun, Yount or Molitor.

image.png.1672053e84c101c1317049bcab564d08.png

Edited by 5fouls

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

43 today...Ryan Braun killed me...That's what I get for using a juicer :) 

image.png.fbfdcceddc09364fb409d0a3257b9659.png

and @5fouls, now you've got me obsessed with having a guy in my grid that you've never heard of...Today's attempt is the center square :)  

he sounded familiar at first, but I was probably thinking of Betty Boop.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

he sounded familiar at first, but I was probably thinking of Betty Boop.  

Knopp is wearing one of my all time favorite MLB hats...The LA Angels with the halo on top...

image.png.81166c86ffd5ce98e62d57532af183f2.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

This was brutal.  The No-Hitter category ate me alive.  The two boxes I ended up leaving open are not the ones I missed.

I originally missed:

• Dodgers No Hitter - I put Don Drysdale in an attempt to avoid Koufax
  • Cy Young No Hitter - I originally put Pedro Martinez.

image.png.02b450f6a0b6ae42601fe49a2a4a5066.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

This was brutal.  The No-Hitter category ate me alive.  The two boxes I ended up leaving open are not the ones I missed.

I originally missed:

• Dodgers No Hitter - I put Don Drysdale in an attempt to avoid Koufax
  • Cy Young No Hitter - I originally put Pedro Martinez.

image.png.02b450f6a0b6ae42601fe49a2a4a5066.png

For what it's worth, I took Koufax's 35% and divided it by 4 :) 

31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

image.png.52f138bda9c68025262087a52eacd0a7.png

Hey now.  I've heard of all those guys.  :D

Carl Erskine is an Anderson, IN native and is currently the 6th oldest living former MLB player, and one of only 3 living players that played in the 1940's.  

image.png.cc36bbe8d9f8a0ba390a0c8d412c4e68.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Hey now.  I've heard of all those guys.  :D

Carl Erskine is an Anderson, IN native and is currently the 6th oldest living former MLB player, and one of only 3 living players that played in the 1940's.  

image.png.cc36bbe8d9f8a0ba390a0c8d412c4e68.png

Of course, I'm a Cub fan, but if the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn, I'm pretty sure I'd be a Dodger fan...

The 50s were the Golden Era of baseball to me...I know it was "New York centric" but every year has a great storyline, and baseball was still King (the 1958 NFL Championship would start the shift toward football)...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

63...Funny how I came up with some of mine...the ill-fated Donnie Moore (who you had too), Ed Whitson (fight with Billy Martin), Graig Nettles (fight with, well, pretty much everybody in Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium)...

image.png.2ee0c3a90e582909aa9e3e5c29f119cc.png

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Left for work with 8 squares.  After a tough day at work, with not much opportunity to think, I decided to bite the bullet and just go with The Big Unit for Mariners/Nationals(Expos)

You got me twice today with unfamiliar names.  I'm guessing one of those is the cousin.  Is he Bud Zipfel or Larry Jaster?

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Left for work with 8 squares.  After a tough day at work, with not much opportunity to think, I decided to bite the bullet and just go with The Big Unit for Mariners/Nationals(Expos)

You got me twice today with unfamiliar names.  I'm guessing one of those is the cousin.  Is he Bud Zipfel or Larry Jaster?

Bud Zipfel... He's my father in laws first cousin... Talked to him at reunions many times... Great guy to talk baseball with... 

Todd Worrell in the "played right field" square came from a game I went to in St Louis in the 80s... Whitey Herzog brought him in to face a righty, then put him in RF while he brought in Ken Daley to pitch to the next batter (lefty), after Daley got his guy, Herzog pulled him, put Worrell back in pitching to another righty, and put Tito Landrum in RF... Brilliant move...

I hate the Cardinals, but The White Rat is one of my favorite managers... 

Oh, and Jaster pitched for the Cards in the 67 and 68 series... Then pitched for the Expos in their first year

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Pretty easy grid today.  Scored a 14.  The statistical categories offer a huge population of choices.  Did a catcher theme on teh 10 hoer category so I did not overthink it.  Hall of Famer Billy Herman's hometown is New Albany, IN, better known to IU fans as where Romeo Langford is from..

image.png.47a517f3b19419aa7f696efdd0497d2e.png

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Pretty easy grid today.  Scored a 14.  The statistical categories offer a huge population of choices.  Did a catcher theme on teh 10 hoer category so I did not overthink it.  Hall of Famer Billy Herman's hometown is New Albany, IN, better known to IU fans as where Romeo Langford is from..

image.png.47a517f3b19419aa7f696efdd0497d2e.png

I'd have never guessed Belanger hit .300...

He was the American League's Dal Maxvill...