Immaculate Grid

rico

Another pretty easy one today...22...The Milwaukee Brewers\Seattle Pilots connection always works well...And I'd always hoped to slide Mickey Owen in there some day...Always remember the Tommy Heinrich quote after Owens' infamous passed ball in the the 1941 World Series..."That was a tough break for Mickey to get. I bet he feels like a nickel’s worth of dog meat."

image.png.6b2e5686fbd853646daa49e1386f8771.png

Edited by IUFLA

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Another pretty easy one today...22...The Milwaukee Brewers\Seattle Pilots connection always works well...And I'd always hoped to slide Mickey Owen in there some day...Always remember the Tommy Heinrich quote after Owens' infamous passed ball in the the 1941 World Series..."That was a tough break for Mickey to get. I bet he feels like a nickel’s worth of dog meat."

image.png.6b2e5686fbd853646daa49e1386f8771.png

You guys really amazes me on your knowledge of all of these old times baseball players and teams. I thought it was good that I was able to tell you who were in the championship game from 75 to the present. That is nothing compared to how you guys do these grids. Also maybe it is my memory but I gave a harder time telling you who were in the final the last few years compared to 30 years ago.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You guys really amazes me on your knowledge of all of these old times baseball players and teams. I thought it was good that I was able to tell you who were in the championship game from 75 to the present. That is nothing compared to how you guys do these grids. Also maybe it is my memory but I gave a harder time telling you who were in the final the last few years compared to 30 years ago.

I read a lot when I was a kid, and mostly it was about sports, and specifically, baseball. Collecting baseball cards helped...

I think @5fouls and I employ a lot of the same strategies on the older players. The "> 2000 hits" you can pick from a lot of older, well known HoF players and score really low, while I think most people who play stick with players from today or the recent past... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If you ever watched Field of Dreams, and you recall the scene near the end where James Earle Jones' character is watching the game with a book in his hand, that book is The Baseball Encyclopedia.

I had that book.  I spent many summer days as a youth studying that book.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I read a lot when I was a kid, and mostly it was about sports, and specifically, baseball. Collecting baseball cards helped...

I think @5fouls and I employ a lot of the same strategies on the older players. The "> 2000 hits" you can pick from a lot of older, well known HoF players and score really low, while I think most people who play stick with players from today or the recent past... 

@IU Scott.  Adding to what @IUFLA is saying, you'll notice that virtually every time I use a pre 1960's player, it's a Hall of Famer.  If not, it's a player a remember from a specific story I read about as a kid (1919 White Sox for instance).  I'm not going to be pulling backup infielders from the 1912 Braves out of my butt.

Another tool I use is I think about former Reds players even in non-Reds categories.  On today's grid, Ryan Ludwick came to mind using that tool.  David Bell came to mind because he's the Reds manager.  And, Bret Boone because of the Boone family ties to the Reds.  Sixto Lezcano came to mind because, while playing for the Padres, the Padres,  I saw him hit a home run to dead center in Riverfront while I was there for a game. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

I was doing ok til I put Jay Buhner in the SD/Seattle box by mistake... Buhner wasn't a good pick anyway...

Screenshot_20240221-061519.thumb.png.27b5aba4937dc2365b2a78b94dec8649.png

I had to laugh @5fouls with your mention of Sixto Lezcano... Saw him play in when he was with the Cardinals in 81 and remember he was part of the Ozzie Smith - Garry Templeton deal to the Padres... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was doing ok til I put Jay Buhner in the SD/Seattle box by mistake... Buhner wasn't a good pick anyway...

Screenshot_20240221-061519.thumb.png.27b5aba4937dc2365b2a78b94dec8649.png

I had to laugh @5fouls with your mention of Sixto Lezcano... Saw him play in when he was with the Cardinals in 81 and remember he was part of the Ozzie Smith - Garry Templeton deal to the Padres... 

Regarding your Buhner error, I was working my way through the 30# homer column, got Vaughn and Ludwick, and then proceeded to think of players that hit 30+ for the PADRES. 

So, my brain is thinking Nate Colbert, Winfield, Camanitti, Soto, Machado, etc., and I'm all set to go with Colbert and the light finally goes off that the box is for Mariners 30+, not Padres.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:27 PM, 5fouls said:

Scott, here is the link to the site.  They update it every morning.

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

I read a TON of baseball history when I was a kid.  Pretty well versed in the 20's-50's.  Not too much 'history' written about 60;s baseball in the 70's, so I'm not as strong there.  I'm also very good in the 70's and 80's due to baseball card collection, subscribing to the Sporting News, playing the APBA board game, and then in the late 80's and early 90's their computer game. 

Once we get into the 2000's, I'm kind of weak other than Reds categories, or if I can tie a former Red to the category.  Recent expansion teams and historically mediocre AL teams are things I struggle with.   My worst timeframe is about 2012-2020.  After Covid, I've tried to renew my interest.  This grid has helped a great deal with that, and I'm even planning on playing some Fantasy baseball this year.

If you decide to give it a try, don't get discouraged if you can't finish the grid.  I've been on a heater for a few weeks now until today, but today my brain just wasn't working.    

APBA?  I knew I liked you for some reason.

• Thanks 1

I saw the grid and thought to myself "I'm going to get a Reds player in every square".  Then I proceeded to butcher the All Star & .300 Batting average square.  I focused too much on the .300 piece, and totally forgot about the 'All Star' component.  The names Sean Casey and Hal Morris immediately popped into my head as .300 hitters, and I went with Morris, who is less known.  Of course, at that point, I ignored the 'All-Star' qualification and, even after I got the dreaded blank square, it took me a minute to figure out why I did not get credit.

All that said, I ultimately don't know if I would have ever figured out a Reds SS that hit .300, certainly not one that would be wearing a Cincy cap.  George Wright from the 1869 Red Stockings probably did, but I doubt he would count.   

image.png.411e01541b57877581c851bb56b1ff63.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My curiosity got the best of me.  Here's what George Wright would have scored for me.

image.png.502121bb0f92376b5493bab2ce6ab978.png

Doing a full Cubs grid was challenging...The "One Team" alone was tough, simply because the Cubs either traded players too early (Lou Brock), picked them up when they were washed up (Dizzy Dean) , or were too cheap to keep them from free agency (Grace, Maddox)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

OK, so I tried to match @5fouls and was going pretty good til I guessed Joe Tinker and Gabby Hartnett...The only non-Cub was Mike Squires who I remembered was the last lefty to play catcher in MLB (White Sox)

image.png.bd314569cdf715af80f7a1ae4f5649a9.png

FYI...Sandberg played a couple of games at SS for the Cubs.