Immaculate Grid

rico

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Lazy Sunday.  28.  Didn't want to think too hard on this one.  Struggled with the 30 homer category for some reason.

image.png.d2b0325c73ad66d6ce53f643a02a5916.png

The Oriole people forget hit 30+: Chris Hoiles. Averaged 15-20 for his career and in either 96 or 97, hits 49. Given the era…gee, think a little juice was involved there? 😂

Edit: Brady Anderson, not Chris Hoiles. Old age is getting to me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Cromartie isn’t the most common last name. Warren almost has to be related to Antonio and the rest of that defensive back playing family. 

Cromartie, Dawson, and Raines were thought to be one of the best young outfields ever assembled...

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Montreal had a habit of assembling young talent without being able to keep it. 

Yeah they did...

I always remember they had an outfielder named Razor Shines...Every time the Cubs would play them when he and Tim Raines were on the team, Steve Stone, who was the Cubs analyst at the time, would remark, "We're going to play this game, Raines or Shine" :) 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah they did...

I always remember they had an outfielder named Razor Shines...Every time the Cubs would play them when he and Tim Raines were on the team, Steve Stone, who was the Cubs analyst at the time, would remark, "We're going to play this game, Raines or Shine" :) 

Tim Raines was familiar with razors for other reasons too *sniff*.

• Like 1

Not good at all.  I started out by being cute and choosing some low hanging fruit on the "One Team' category.  And, then I got totally stuck on Pirates 2K Strikeouts other than Cole. Killed thousands of brain cells for 15 minutes and simple could not come up with anyone else.  

image.png.a74de28264f622486f3ff8074e4c36c8.png

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not good at all.  I started out by being cute and choosing some low hanging fruit on the "One Team' category.  And, then I got totally stuck on Pirates 2K Strikeouts other than Cole. Killed thousands of brain cells for 15 minutes and simple could not come up with anyone else.  

image.png.a74de28264f622486f3ff8074e4c36c8.png

Hint: Knuckleballer….died less than a year ago….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hint: Knuckleballer….died less than a year ago….

Yeah.  I scanned the list they provided in the summary.  Cole and Wakefield were right next to each other,.  Never crossed my mind.  But, my excuse was it was late at night.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  I scanned the list they provided in the summary.  Cole and Wakefield were right next to each other,.  Never crossed my mind.  But, my excuse was it was late at night.  

I only remembered it because I remember having his rookie card way back when. I’d have never associated him with Pittsburgh otherwise.’

48 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I only remembered it because I remember having his rookie card way back when. I’d have never associated him with Pittsburgh otherwise.’

I'm the opposite. While I certainly remember Wakefield with the Red Rox, as a Reds fan, I clearly recall his time with the Pirates.  Knuckleball pitchers have always fascinated me.

I saw where Wakefield's daughter threw out the first pitch before a game at Fenway earlier this week.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I saw where Wakefield's daughter threw out the first pitch before a game at Fenway earlier this week.

Good for her.  His kids have been through hell the last few months...losing both parents to cancer in the span of 6 months. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My Next Job Interview

Interviewer:  "Mr. Fouls, what do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment;"

Me:  Using both of the Iorg brothers n the same Immaculate Grid.

17 today.  

image.png.ca26f4b5e357f58da699cf90b821659e.png

Steve Jeltz...came up with a lot of hype, and hair like Darryl Jenks in "Coming to America" 🙂

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Steve Jeltz...came up with a lot of hype, and hair like Darryl Jenks in "Coming to America" 🙂

I actually have a Steve Jeltz story  Growing up, my dad knew a guy who had season tickets at Riverfront, first row in the section at the corner of the dugout closest to the visitor on-deck circle.  My dad had already passed, but I was in my early 20's and mom and I were still able to get tickets a few times from this guy.   My brother, who was 11 years younger than me was baseball crazy and I made sure to take him to some games just like dad did with me.

Anyway, one of those games, the Reds were playing the Phillies.  Jeltz came out on deck and the lady behind my right shoulder started to yell encouraging words to Steve,  She had not done that with any other player, so I assumed she knew, or was related to, Jeltz.  I turned around and asked her how she knew Steve.  She was vague, saying something like the Phillies instructed family members and friends not to share too much information for their own safety.  Or, maybe she just thought I was a creep.  I ended up talking to her quite a bit during the game, but I respected her privacy and never pushed to find out if she was wife, girlfriend, sister, etc.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I actually have a Steve Jeltz story  Growing up, my dad knew a guy who had season tickets at Riverfront, first row in the section at the corner of the dugout closest to the visitor on-deck circle.  My dad had already passed, but I was in my early 20's and mom and I were still able to get tickets a few times from this guy.   My brother, who was 11 years younger than me was baseball crazy and I made sure to take him to some games just like dad did with me.

Anyway, one of those games, the Reds were playing the Phillies.  Jeltz came out on deck and the lady behind my right shoulder started to yell encouraging words to Steve,  She had not done that with any other player, so I assumed she knew, or was related to, Jeltz.  I turned around and asked her how she knew Steve.  She was vague, saying something like the Phillies instructed family members and friends not to share too much information for their own safety.  Or, maybe she just thought I was a creep.  I ended up talking to her quite a bit during the game, but I respected her privacy and never pushed to find out if she was wife, girlfriend, sister, etc.  

I sat beside Ken Oberkfell's Dad at a Cardinal game back in the 80s. Nice guy and very proud of his son.(rightfully so)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

saying something like the Phillies instructed family members and friends not to share too much information for their own safety.  Or, maybe she just thought I was a creep. 

Or a Phillies fan 🙂

They do have a reputation...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

My Next Job Interview

Interviewer:  "Mr. Fouls, what do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment;"

Me:  Using both of the Iorg brothers n the same Immaculate Grid.

17 today.  

image.png.ca26f4b5e357f58da699cf90b821659e.png

Party on, Dane! 
Party on, Garth!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That 10 win/300 save combination is a killer. There can’t be but a handful. 

Eckersley was the easy one I'd think...Aguilera was a starter (like Eck) at the beginning of his career, so I gambled on him...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Eckersley was the easy one I'd think...Aguilera was a starter (like Eck) at the beginning of his career, so I gambled on him...

The one I thought would be a sure thing would have been Isringhausen, since he started his career as a starter with the Mets. But nope….most wins he ever had was 9.

• Like 1