Immaculate Grid

rico

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Doubled ya...12 :) 

image.png.94cf113087150362f7e1c0b625d095fd.png

But using 6 HoFs has to be worth bonus points somewhere...Right? ;) 

I used 4 Hall of Famers and a 5th that would have been if not for a gambling addiction.  It's amazing how little the younger crowd know about baseball history.  

And, it pays to be a fan of a small market team.  While I can use 5 Reds and score low if I used 5 Yankees, I'm hitting high score on several of these categories. 

• Like 1

21.  In hindsight, I wish I had did Campaneris at2B and Farmer at SS.  But, I did the Farmer square first.  I was worried I would be tempted to settle for Biggio in that square if I could not think of anyone else.  It wasn't until later that I remembered Campy played all 9 positions in one game.

And, @IUFLAI'm embarrassed that you came up with Plummer and I settled for Bench.  I wasn't displaying good Reds fandom there.  

image.png.7ae7b68a26a204f0dbbbb5c54ba4b1d2.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

21.  In hindsight, I wish I had did Campaneris at2B and Farmer at SS.  But, I did the Farmer square first.  I was worried I would be tempted to settle for Biggio in that square if I could not think of anyone else.  It wasn't until later that I remembered Campy played all 9 positions in one game.

And, @IUFLAI'm embarrassed that you came up with Plummer and I settled for Bench.  I wasn't displaying good Reds fandom there.  

image.png.7ae7b68a26a204f0dbbbb5c54ba4b1d2.png

I use to talk to Plummer when he was with the Indianapolis Indians...Very nice guy to kids...

And I've told the story before, but one of the guys in my grid bummed a smoke from me in 1977 :) 

And I avoided Biggio at 2nd/C at all costs...I knew Tovar had, like Campaneris, played all 9 positions in a game...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I use to talk to Plummer when he was with the Indianapolis Indians...Very nice guy to kids...

And I've told the story before, but one of the guys in my grid bummed a smoke from me in 1977 :) 

And I avoided Biggio at 2nd/C at all costs...I knew Tovar had, like Campaneris, played all 9 positions in a game...

I don't know if we talked about on here or not.  But, did you see where Plummer passed away earlier this year?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't know if we talked about on here or not.  But, did you see where Plummer passed away earlier this year?

I did...Was very sad about that...Like I said, he was a nice man...

I got to see a lot of the Reds on their way up through Indy...UAW was always giving away free tickets, and my Dad liked free :) 

• Like 1

The whole Shortstop / Catcher thing intrigued me.  I was expecting there to be less than 30 in history.  The two positions have virtually nothing in common.  I was surprised to see there were 431 correct answers to that square.  Many of them were old-timers, but almost 20 are players who have played in the 21st century.

image.png.0a704f40538d95e337b288eaf2d4d703.png

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The whole Shortstop / Catcher thing intrigued me.  I was expecting there to be less than 30 in history.  The two positions have virtually nothing in common.  I was surprised to see there were 431 correct answers to that square.  Many of them were old-timers, but almost 20 are players who have played in the 21st century.

image.png.0a704f40538d95e337b288eaf2d4d703.png

Dammit! Russell Martin! Forgot about him...

Michael Barrett too, although I probably would never have used him after his gutless sucker punch on AJ Pierzynski when Barrett was a Cub...

I guess Pierzynski and Carlos Zambrano were buds :D 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

And I knew the other two: Scott Sheldon and Shane Halter. Both did it in 2000.

• Like 2

9.  Pleasantly surprised to get below 10 on this one.  I will confess I got extremely lucky.  I was intending to put Orosco in the Guardian/Oriole square.  Somehow I ended up on the Guardian/Padre square and didn't realize it.  Thank goodness he worked there as well.

Enzo Hernandez may be my favorite answer in the Immaculate Grid.  I use him every time the combination pops up.  Random baseball card memory from my youth comes in handy.  The name 'Enzo' was unique and stuck with me.

@IUFLA we both got Boog and we got Candiotti on different squares.  I thought of Ernie Whitt as well, but was not 100% sure he was ever an All-Star.

image.png.9a75e5415b2f615fa734175983c62dd3.png

• Like 1

26...That 200 win club is small for the pre-expansion era teams like the Astros...I was gonna go with Adam Wainright for the Cards, as I knew he was right at 200, but thought maybe some had forgot who Carlton started with ...Did get Ol Diz's brother in there though...

image.png.01a76c7c6530b2e904f24950281e2c1b.png

• Like 1

Yes, that's an empty square.  On Yankees All Star, my brain originally thought Bill Dickey (correctly), but my fingers typed in Bill Terry. And, I'm offended that the grid gave @Zlinedavid a better score for Dan Wilson than it did me.  

image.png.4d67f46b68a1aaef5734d1e10d212d41.png

Edited by 5fouls

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes, that's an empty square.  On Yankees All Star, my brain originally thought Bill Dickey (correctly), but my fingers typed in Bill Terry. And, I'm offended that the grid gave @Zlinedavid a better score for Dan Wilson than it did me.  

image.png.4d67f46b68a1aaef5734d1e10d212d41.png

Must have been me selecting him that bumped it up.