Immaculate Grid

rico

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm giving up on today's.  Still have two guesses left for the remaining two squares, but my brain is not functioning too well.  And, after hitting the 49 percenter with prince Fielder, my heart's not in it either.

image.png.701abae6f596ced4d5a8a965c7270250.png

I have a question about these grids. You get an empty grid do you have to just look up yourselves for the best answer. Also how do you get the points for your selections

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question about these grids. You get an empty grid do you have to just look up yourselves for the best answer. Also how do you get the points for your selections

Both @5fouls and I rely on our baseball knowledge and memories. I don't look anything up and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Points given on how popular the pick you make is... Lower is better... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Both @5fouls and I rely on our baseball knowledge and memories. I don't look anything up and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Points given on how popular the pick you make is... Lower is better... 

Scott, here is the link to the site.  They update it every morning.

https://www.immaculategrid.com/

I read a TON of baseball history when I was a kid.  Pretty well versed in the 20's-50's.  Not too much 'history' written about 60;s baseball in the 70's, so I'm not as strong there.  I'm also very good in the 70's and 80's due to baseball card collection, subscribing to the Sporting News, playing the APBA board game, and then in the late 80's and early 90's their computer game. 

Once we get into the 2000's, I'm kind of weak other than Reds categories, or if I can tie a former Red to the category.  Recent expansion teams and historically mediocre AL teams are things I struggle with.   My worst timeframe is about 2012-2020.  After Covid, I've tried to renew my interest.  This grid has helped a great deal with that, and I'm even planning on playing some Fantasy baseball this year.

If you decide to give it a try, don't get discouraged if you can't finish the grid.  I've been on a heater for a few weeks now until today, but today my brain just wasn't working.    

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IUFLA said:

17 today...Don't think I have any stumpers for @5fouls in there...

image.png.6114d52c6b685af6ad052d761df4cb55.png

I had 2 "Ball Four" picks in this one... Pagliaroni, who in the book described a woman as a Joe Torre with... Ah, uh, well, you get the gist... And Jim Bunning about who Bouton said this..

"Ted Williams, when he was still playing, would psyche himself up for a game during batting practice, usually early practice before the fans or reporters got there.

He'd go into the cage, wave his bat at the pitcher and start screaming at the top of his voice, "My name is Ted ******* Williams and I'm the greatest hitter in baseball."

He'd swing and hit a line drive.

"Jesus H Christ Himself couldn't get me out."

And he'd hit another.

Then he'd say, "Here comes Jim Bunning. Jim ****** Bunning and that little **** slider of his."

Wham

"He doesn't really think he's gonna get me out with that ****."

Blam!"

If I'd have given it some real thought, Ray Oyler would have been a good one for the Brewers (Pilots)/Tigers box...

And Danny Cox is in there because I always loved this story after his ex brother in law threatened Danny's sister... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

39 today.  It's impossible to get a low score with Edwin Jackson any longer.  Too many people use him as a default when they can't think of anyone else, which is what I had to do today.

image.png.ba072526afa52bf4592dec62d094c79b.png

Cool that we both picked guys off of Connie Mack's second "sell off" of a dynasty team with Grove and Foxx...

• Like 1

18.  Half was Giambi, but I almost had to go with LeMahieu.  Got the first 8 with ease this morning while eating breakfast.  I had LeMahieu in mind then, but figured he would be 40%-50%, so I decided to wait until after work to finish.  Thought about Giambi on the drive home.

image.png.43edef866770e2329acd9d60f78274a6.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Arrrrgh!  Had a good one going and guessed Will Clark on my last box.  Turns out the most hits he had with the Giants was 196.

119 score.

image.png.593f1c272f1732dfffdd94f8fee6b929.png

If memory serves me correctly, Cepeda and McCovey were RoY in back to back seasons, and 1st base was both of their best position...So one had to had to go...

The Cardinals benefitted (don't they always) by getting an MVP year out of him in 68 when they dealt Ray Sadecki for him... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1