Immaculate Grid

rico

Same here... Big numbers, pre 70s... 2 teams, after free agency...

Back in the day, players didn't move much, especially the stars. It was pretty much a one sided deal for the owners...

I did read that the Yankees and Red Sox talked about swapping Joe DiMaggio for Ted Williams (Green Monster, short porch thing) but it never got serious... 

• Like 1

I picked Darrell Porter (like you did) for one reason...

In 1982 (and 81) I had Cardinals season tickets... In August the Cardinals were in the thick of the pennant race and had a day game against the Pirates... Late in the game with the Cardinals trailing by a run and the bases loaded and 2 out, Porter struck out...

A fat guy 2 rows ahead of me in an "I Love Beer" T-shirt and a beer in each hand jumps up and yells, "Go back to Kansas City you alcoholic!"

Had a soft spot for the guy ever since 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I picked Darrell Porter (like you did) for one reason...

In 1982 (and 81) I had Cardinals season tickets... In August the Cardinals were in the thick of the pennant race and had a day game against the Pirates... Late in the game with the Cardinals trailing by a run and the bases loaded and 2 out, Porter struck out...

A fat guy 2 rows ahead of me in an "I Love Beer" T-shirt and a beer in each hand jumps up and yells, "Go back to Kansas City you alcoholic!"

Had a soft spot for the guy ever since 🙂

No fair!  You got 1% for Porter, while I got tagged with 2%.  🤔

• Haha 1

Screwed up on my grid today and was not immaculate.  Bottom line is that Gold Glove and Silver Slugger are not categories I 'know' once you get beyond the obvious.

So, my scoring wasn't going to be great anyway, but I tried to avoid the obvious.  For example, I would never pick Brooks Robinson for Orioles Gold Glove.

Anyway, for Detroit Silver Slugger, I wanted to avoid the likes of Cabrerra and Fielder, so I went with Kirk Gibson.  Felt that was a safe, but obscure enough pick to score well.

It was obscure all right, so much so that it was incorrect.  Gibson does have a Silver Slugger, but alas it was with the Dodgers.

After I screwed up my grid, I did do it again on a different device, picking my same answers, but selecting someone else for my Tiger Silver Slugger.  Got a 78, which isnt that great of a score anyway.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

chrome_screenshot_Jan3120248_29_44AMCST.thumb.png.98caf6ed14a960b7b97e128099dbc88b.png

I got a break in the As-Pirates... I worked with his Mom at Chicago Center 🙂

I saw the grid before I saw your explanation. I literally was going to ask if that was you're neighbor or something.  Personally, I never heard of him.

Surprised a geriatric Pete hit well enough for the Phillies to get one with them.

Good get with Rhoden.  I always forget that Pitchers used to get a Silver Slugger.

I had Maddox in that spot as well.  I went with Trammel for Gold Glove after my Gibson fiasco made me not care.  He was like 29% in that square.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I saw the grid before I saw your explanation. I literally was going to ask if that was you're neighbor or something.  Personally, I never heard of him.

Surprised a geriatric Pete hit well enough for the Phillies to get one with them.

Good get with Rhoden.  I always forget that Pitchers used to get a Silver Slugger.

I had Maddox in that spot as well.  I went with Trammel for Gold Glove after my Gibson fiasco made me not care.  He was like 29% in that square.

JJ got to play in Wrigley when he was with the Bucs, and his mom of course went... Thrill of her lifetime I think... She used to talk baseball with me all the time and gave me the full game rundown... I was happy to listen...he only played 29 games in The Show... 

He runs a baseball school out in Bolingbrook, Illinois now... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

59 today. 

- I literally could not have done better with Negro League Catcher.  Only two came to mind.
- I am very surprised that Benito Santiago score that high.  The Giants are not the team you think of when you think of him.

- I could have done better on Cardinals pitcher if I had went with some random reliever, Instead I got cute with Molina.  I guess too many other people remember that game as well.

- Of note:  When I first completed the Oscar Charleston square, he was .05.  10 minutes later when I completed my grid, he had doubled to .1

image.png.d9f330570884a118196a8cdb483fa880.png

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240201-061915.thumb.png.7bad927e1335c233fe2453be6197692f.png

Nice to see us both pick Marty Marion. Very nice man I had a chance to chat with on a few occasions. He was a greeter at the Cardinal Club in old Busch Stadium.

I knew better than to go with Campy, and the only other black catcher I could think of in the 50s was Howard... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Screenshot_20240201-061915.thumb.png.7bad927e1335c233fe2453be6197692f.png

Nice to see us both pick Marty Marion. Very nice man I had a chance to chat with on a few occasions. He was a greeter at the Cardinal Club in old Busch Stadium.

I knew better than to go with Campy, and the only other black catcher I could think of in the 50s was Howard... 

You always bring a name in that I dont recognize.  This one is Herbel.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I figured Newcom would be higher than that.  

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Satchel Paige with 77%

Bullet Joe Black was a trivia question pick...

What African-American pitcher was the first to win a World Series game?

• Like 2

Okay.  I just looked at the list of Astros / Twins players provided in the summary, and I'm kicking myself for not remembering crap.  No, I'm not talking about remembering something 40 years ago, I'm talking about forgetting something I thought of today.

On the drive to work this morning, the name 'Joe Niekro' popped into my head as a possibility for Astros / Twins.  On lunch break, walking back to the office, the name 'Francisco Liriano' popped into my head.  Somewhere along the line, both of those faded away.  Not sure what they would have scored, but both would have been significantly better than the 58% I got for Carlos Correa.

• Like 1