Immaculate Grid

rico

77 today... But I did get to use Marvelous Marv Throneberry of the 62 Mets...

Screenshot_20230907-103029.thumb.png.7f263cdec325a5f8653653e9d305592b.png

Throneberry once hit a ball into the right-center-field gap. Two runs would score, and he would reach third base.

He was called out for not touching first base. Manager Casey Stengel went out to argue the call but was told by first-base coach Cookie Lavagetto "Don't bother, Case," Lavagetto said, "he didn't touch second either."

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I can't make heads or tails out of what you guys are doing.

But I have to say, it's a fun thread to watch just 3 guys having a great time with this and sharing. It's actually really good stuff and one of those little things that shows why HSN is a special place. 👍

Evidently you aren't a Baseball-Reference fan?

• 1 month later...

Not been playing much lately and only been filling in certain squares.  Today had some new categories that made it interesting.  Score of 90 with half of that on Larry Doby.  Enzo Hernandez is my go-to obscure player for the Dodgers/Padres combo.  Thanks to my baseball card collection on that one.  

image.png.8c3835398ebfd42b16a4265270318465.png

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Haven't done these very often during the offseason.  Decided to give it a try today. 

One of the squares was Mets & 2,000 strikeouts (pitching).  

Well, I figured Seaver and Ryan were too obvious, so I went with Johan Santana.  Not, so fast my friend, but that's an incorrect answer.

That stunned me, so I looked it up.  Santana only had 1,988 strikeouts in his career.  This from a dude that was getting 250+ a season during his peak. 12 strikeouts is one more start for him.

So frustrating.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Haven't done these very often during the offseason.  Decided to give it a try today. 

One of the squares was Mets & 2,000 strikeouts (pitching).  

Well, I figured Seaver and Ryan were too obvious, so I went with Johan Santana.  Not, so fast my friend, but that's an incorrect answer.

That stunned me, so I looked it up.  Santana only had 1,988 strikeouts in his career.  This from a dude that was getting 250+ a season during his peak. 12 strikeouts is one more start for him.

So frustrating.

Some of us went with Jerry Koosman for that square....

I'm no longer playing for the rarity score, just to complete the grid without too much thought. 97 today, with most of that in two squares.  I was surprised that Henke was that high considering he pitched 35 years ago.  In regards to Bautista, I just totally blanked on Orioles closers.  Thank God they made the playoffs this year or I may not have even known about Bautista.  

image.png.98d0e329011294b4ef438547c951e607.png