Fast Food Burgers

Drroogh

Shake shack didn't deserve the hype.  It was good.  Probably slightly ahead of 5 guys or right there with them and Freddy's.  I'd actually put Freddy's ahead of 5 guys.  

Of all of those I'd go

1 Jaggers

2 Freddy's

3 Shake shack

4 5 guys

5 bru- negative stikes for over pricing.

As far as lowest grade served to humans, haven't had Arby's burger or Hardee's in about 35 years but Wendy's has certainly went down hill towards Mc d quality.  Dq is barely legal for human consumption.  Rally used to serve ok burgers 25 years ago.  Couldn't tell ya anymore as I cook and grill way more and I rarely hit a fast fast food joint.  

Please eat in moderation.  I want to be chatting with you all for at least 4-5 more decades.   

• Like 1

How about a Culvers ButterBurger? I always think of Freddys as a cross between Steak n Shake (fries) and Culvers (custard ice cream)/

One place that has went down hill drastically is Redamaks in New Buffalo MI. A once iconic stop for all Chicagolanders returning from SW MI, there popularity has led to overcrowding, high prices and sub par quality.

I will only get a McDonalds burger as a last resort. Probable average less than 1 visit per year. Wendys and BK are my top two fast food places. Usually get In and Out Burger once a year when visiting AZ. In AZ, Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers is by far the best. https://www.coldbeers.com/cheeseburgers/ @HoosierFaithful want to chime in on that?

Culvers and the Arbys Wagyu are my premier fast food burger choices. Looks like the Wagyu has been replaced with the Big Game Burger now. 

Five Guys, Chillis and Red Robin are all solid places for something a level up from fast food. 

In general, I try to eat more chicken than burgers to stay healthier. Gotta make room at least once per week for pizza and burgers tho!

• Like 2

I do think we have to differentiate here though...

Straight up fast food burgers (McDonald's, BK, anyplace that has a drive up window)

Go in, sit down burger (Chili's, Red Robin, Texas Roadhouse...any sit down franchise that serves a burger)

Or the mom and pops that have a good burger (Bristol Tap in Bristol, Il and Pete's Burgers in Porter, Tx come to mind)... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

How about a Culvers ButterBurger? I always think of Freddys as a cross between Steak n Shake (fries) and Culvers (custard ice cream)/

One place that has went down hill drastically is Redamaks in New Buffalo MI. A once iconic stop for all Chicagolanders returning from SW MI, there popularity has led to overcrowding, high prices and sub par quality.

I will only get a McDonalds burger as a last resort. Probable average less than 1 visit per year. Wendys and BK are my top two fast food places. Usually get In and Out Burger once a year when visiting AZ. In AZ, Cold Beers and Cheeseburgers is by far the best. https://www.coldbeers.com/cheeseburgers/ @HoosierFaithful want to chime in on that?

Culvers and the Arbys Wagyu are my premier fast food burger choices. Looks like the Wagyu has been replaced with the Big Game Burger now. 

Five Guys, Chillis and Red Robin are all solid places for something a level up from fast food. 

In general, I try to eat more chicken than burgers to stay healthier. Gotta make room at least once per week for pizza and burgers tho!

Forgot Culver's.  Solid.  They did some BBQ cheddar brisket? Burger last fall that was ridiculous.  Plus the custard bumps them up a notch even though the fries are childish.  

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Actually the Wagu and now the Big Game burger are just while supplies last. So if you’re interested best get going. Even more than the build of the sandwich it really was like a pub burger about 1/2” thick! Yumm 

I am with you on chicken though!!!!

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Forgot Culver's.  Solid.  They did some BBQ cheddar brisket? Burger last fall that was ridiculous.  Plus the custard bumps them up a notch even though the fries are childish.  

Right now they have a pepper burger (black pepper) for a limited time. Pretty solid.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

They do have Culver's here in Texas... youngest daughter worked at the one in Kingwood the summer after high school, and met her future hubby there 🙂

Their burgers aren't bad, and for fast food, Culver's has pretty good customer service...

Not a fan of their deep fried cheese curds. For a company founded in Wisconsin, they should know that cheese curds were meant to be cold and squeaky!

For the Indiana and Indy area burger fans. We've ordered Malik's burger several times. First it's good and second it helps him and his charities.

https://www.bigwoodsrestaurants.com/fashion-mall/

I will say I can't do onions mostly because of acid reflux but I deal with it. The bacon, onion rings, bbq burger Malik has is really, really good. 

I can't remember the last time though I had a burger at a typical fast food place. If I were voting for one of the better burgers in Indy area at least is Workingman's Friend out on the West Side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If I have choices, I will rarely seek out a burger from a Fast-Food joint.  I will seek out a place the specializes in a chicken sandwich, a sub place, or Arby's for roast beef before I ever find myself in a McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.  used to love Wendy's, but the quality has gone down in the last 10-15 years.  

I do like 'steakburgers' at places like Freddy's (above) and Steak-n'-Shake.  

I do love ordering burgers at diners, cafes and those types of places.  you get some good ones there.

I'm with you on this. For me, the value just isn't there with a burger.

Breading and frying chicken is a sticky, messy process. I'm happy paying someone else to do it, and letting them hassle with the clean up after.

Conversely though, it couldn't be easier to make a tasty burger at home. Slap some ground beef on a hot plate. Drape a slice of cheese over it after it's been flipped to melt. Keep some precooked bacon in the fridge, and lay a few slices down next to the patty. Slice a tomato or onion if you'd like. Put your favorite store bought sauce on the bun, even plain ol' mayo is just fine. Why pay Wendy's when I've just made something as good at home?

I do like a good diner style smash burger, where you get that Maillard reaction all over. That's a technique I've not yet been able to get quite right, so I will order those.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a fan of their deep fried cheese curds. For a company founded in Wisconsin, they should know that cheese curds were meant to be cold and squeaky!

"Were" or "weren't"? Because Culver's are definitely cold and squeaky. 

Freddy's cheese curds are much superior, melty greasy goodness with a light crispy skin.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I'm with you on this. For me, the value just isn't there with a burger.

Breading and frying chicken is a sticky, messy process. I'm happy paying someone else to do it, and letting them hassle with the clean up after.

Conversely though, it couldn't be easier to make a tasty burger at home. Slap some ground beef on a hot plate. Drape a slice of cheese over it after it's been flipped to melt. Keep some precooked bacon in the fridge, and lay a few slices down next to the patty. Slice a tomato or onion if you'd like. Put your favorite store bought sauce on the bun, even plain ol' mayo is just fine. Why pay Wendy's when I've just made something as good at home?

I do like a good diner style smash burger, where you get that Maillard reaction all over. That's a technique I've not yet been able to get quite right, so I will order those.

I think the reason it's so hard to make a smashburger at home is because the stove at home doesn't get as hot as a commercial flattop.

I haven't yet done it but I bought a flat cast iron pan to put on my grill and a heavy duty stainless steel spatula.  

In the past I've made Oklahoma style onion burgers on my Coleman stove while camping that turn out well. 

I agree there is a lot of food I can do better at home. I've replicated arbys beef and cheddar with better quality ingredients for example. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1