Maryland Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

Been a fan since the late 50's and except for a few years IU football has been abysmal. I follow now but don't get too invested. I don't expect a lot of wins, but I would like to see fundamentally sound, competitive play.

I’m beginning to wonder what all the outrage is about…this is Indiana Football. We should just be proud of the fact we are the worst P5 school in NCAA. I think people are being delusional if they expect anything more then a couple B1G wins a year and hopefully winning our non-conference games. I’ll settle for just what you said…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

This program is at a crossroads.  Four top 25 teams about to enter the conference.  They can’t sit there and let this continue.  Investing and winning in football is winning in all athletics.

The sad thing is with the way the conference shares money there actually isn’t much incentive to spend on the football staff.  IU will make enough money to be happy with a perennial doormat.

All those teams need an automatic win to make them bowl eligible. We serve a purpose. Expensive purpose but you’re welcome B1G. We will be your punching bag for $75 million a year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

This program is at a crossroads.  Four top 25 teams about to enter the conference.  They can’t sit there and let this continue.  Investing and winning in football is winning in all athletics.

The sad thing is with the way the conference shares money there actually isn’t much incentive to spend on the football staff.  IU will make enough money to be happy with a perennial doormat.

As a fan of IU sports, I cheer for pretty much all of them, B'Ball (both Men and Ladies), Soccer, Baseball. But I really, really, really want to like the football program, but man it's awful. I know there are those that have a hard time wondering why there sre "closet" Irish football fans, but at least it is an in state teamn.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well at least in the NFL if you suck enough you get a high draft pick 

I ain’t going to lie…we could be gifted the top 10 ranked players in America and this staff would screw them up. It isn’t even the kids right now…they are playing bad sure but it’s coaching. Putting them in position to be successful  sure but this is coaching all offseason failing them. This is a fundamental program issue.

Just now, bronkonagurski said:

I know it was trash time but Sorsby was throwing the ball with a lot more accuracy. Tayven misses so many open throws. I was hoping to see that improve over time; like in the 2nd half of the Louisville game TJ seemed dialed in but the inconsistency has continued since then.

Sorsby can at least turn the edge in the run game if they are insistent on running the option.  He sure seems to be more accurate as a passer at this time.  TJ has tremendous potential but he’s really struggling.  May not be fair to the kid right now as a freshman against this level of comp.   We can wait for DW if it’s not Sorsby but we need substantial improvement.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sorsby can at least turn the edge in the run game if they are insistent on running the option.  He sure seems to be more accurate as a passer at this time.  TJ has tremendous potential but he’s really struggling.  May not be fair to the kid right now as a freshman against this level of comp.   We can wait for DW if it’s not Sorsby but we need substantial improvement.  

Yeah Sorsby also looks quicker on the run as well, forgot to mention that.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

For the heck of it, I looked at ESPN's matchup predictor for our remaining games that are considered the most winnable. All four of those teams are currently favored over us:

• Rutgers: 57.1%
  • Illinois: 67.0%
  • Michigan State: 52.4%
  • Purdue: 58.6%

Odd Illinois is that high compared to us honestly. 

There IS talent on this roster to at least be competitive in some B1G games. We should be able to win 2 or 3 on the schedule we have this year.

Think about it. Sure, if you take care of non-conference (something we couldn't do - and almost really shit the bed vs. Akron), you're saying best-case we squeak out bowl eligibility. But what what I'm realistically saying is just win 4 or 5 games and look competitive in some others. And it sure doesn't look like that's happening this time.

• Like 1

And, to give everyone equal and deserved criticism, we all saw how the D played vs. OSU and 2nd half of Louisville. This unit is capable of better play than vs. Akron and Maryland. It may be capable of being legitimately good, but it's definitely better than surrendering big pass plays where there's literally no defender in a 15 or 20 yard radius and 30-yard runs on 3rd and long.

That's on the defensive "minds" - Allen and Gurreri. Sure the players have to execute and make the proper decisions, but why are we at game 5 and they can't even run the system/calls? It's one thing to get toasted one on one matchup by superior talent, but we often aren't even able to get to that level.

Team is regressing in all phases. That's not unique to this year under Allen. It's become a trend the last 3 years or so, despite the fact that I do think he's generally improved (by our standards) the talent level .

Edited by D-BONE

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m beginning to wonder what all the outrage is about…this is Indiana Football. We should just be proud of the fact we are the worst P5 school in NCAA. I think people are being delusional if they expect anything more then a couple B1G wins a year and hopefully winning our non-conference games. I’ll settle for just what you said…

Flip side - Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. have figured out a way to field competitive teams. There is absolutely no reason we can't do the same. 

• Like 2