Maryland Game Thread

KDB

Well I’m as frustrated as the next IU Football fan. Just don’t understand why we can’t turn this program around enough to be relevant. 
I don’t know who is available that could do it. It’s got to be more than one coach. We need an HC, OC, and DC that can work together and build something positive. 

18 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

Well I’m as frustrated as the next IU Football fan. Just don’t understand why we can’t turn this program around enough to be relevant. 
I don’t know who is available that could do it. It’s got to be more than one coach. We need an HC, OC, and DC that can work together and build something positive. 

Well the first problem we got is getting rid of CTA and LEO.

• Like 2

Here’s my take on the current state of IU football. 
1. Allen is a lame duck coach but he’s going to stay in place for another year because of the buyout 

2. Tayven has had his struggles but Sorsby would too. They are RS Fr with an OC that isn’t putting them in great spots to succeed 

3. For example Tayven isn’t great at running option offense yet Bell continues to call those plays. He also tells him what reads to make rather than letting him make the reads. That’s just not a good recipe for success

4. The university doesn’t support football at a high enough level. That has to change if the program ever wants to have any level of consistency

5. IU needs an offensive minded coach that can put QB’s in better positions to succeed 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

1. Allen is a lame duck coach but he’s going to stay in place for another year because of the buyout 

2. Tayven has had his struggles but Sorsby would too. They are RS Fr with an OC that isn’t putting them in great spots to succeed 

3. For example Tayven isn’t great at running option offense yet Bell continues to call those plays. He also tells him what reads to make rather than letting him make the reads. That’s just not a good recipe for success

4. The university doesn’t support football at a high enough level. That has to change if the program ever wants to have any level of consistency

5. IU needs an offensive minded coach that can put QB’s in better positions to succeed 

This is a great post and I agree 1000% with all points.  

IU definitely needs a new perspective and football is the driving force now and forever to long term college athletics. 

We need to reinvent ourselves.  Forget about the painful past and become a football school and prioritize it.  Basketball takes care of itself but it won't pay the bills down the road.  

42 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

#4 there is where the rubber meets the road.  Wouldn't it be something if IU fired Allen today?  To me that would signal that we are serious about our program.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

We need to pin this. Well said.  It appears our current president supports athletics more than prior administrations. Dolson has made good hires in other sports. Between B1G TV money and our NIL collective, we should be competitive in football  beyond what we've been in the past. Spend big next hire.

Next hire has to be an offensive mindset. Preferably a former OC or qb guru with an innovative game plan. If it's a defensive guy, please make sure they're willing to have an innovative offense. We need to spread with speed. Next coach needs to give Seth Littrell a call.

I really like CTA, and wish we could slide him over to DC and get a new leader. Won't happen, but that could be fun.

13 minutes ago, rico said:

#4 there is where the rubber meets the road.  Wouldn't it be something if IU fired Allen today?  To me that would signal that we are serious about our program.

It’s even more than that. Look at what Colorado did with Sanders. Everything about the University became Prime everything. They have to create larger budgets and give greater support to football as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It’s even more than that. Look at what Colorado did with Sanders. Everything about the University became Prime everything. They have to create larger budgets and give greater support to football as well. 

And it starts with getting rid of LEO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

No thank, you think our offense is had just look at NW the last couple of years

The point of my post centers on IU hiring a competent HC.  I see Fitzgerald as being competent, available, and having something to prove.  You don't care for my opinion... fine.  That's your right, Coach. 

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

The point of my post centers on IU hiring a competent HC.  I see Fitzgerald as being competent, available, and having something to prove.  You don't care for my opinion... fine.  That's your right, Coach. 

If we could land Fitz that would be a major improvement.  Personally, I would love to get Jason Candle(Toledo).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rico said:

If we could land Fitz that would be a major improvement.  Personally, I would love to get Jason Candle(Toledo).

He would probably also be a good candidate, IMHO.  But then...I don't know anything about his team's offense.  He doesn't run the single wing or whatever, does he?   🙄

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I wouldn’t like a Fitzgerald hire personally because I want an offensive minded coach that can scheme things to score points. Fitzgerald just isn’t that guy. 

110-101 in 17 years at Northwestern with 10 bowl appearances.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I know it was trash time but Sorsby was throwing the ball with a lot more accuracy. Tayven misses so many open throws. I was hoping to see that improve over time; like in the 2nd half of the Louisville game TJ seemed dialed in but the inconsistency has continued since then.

I was never going to say anything but I thought Sorsby was better this whole time…he’s a littler quicker and more accurate. I thought it wasn’t fair to him that TJ got to start against ISU…I mean I could of looked good against them…he didn’t really earn to start because ISU is AWFUL it basically proves nothing playing against them…I think the name and the 4 star recruit got him the starting spot. He has talent clearly and it is close but I liked Sorsby a little better. Not that it will make much of difference with this staff 

20 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Former football coach Pat Fitzgerald is working toward finalization of a lawsuit against the university alleging breach of contract. The action has an estimated potential gross recovery nearing $100 million.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20230928/jim-odonnell-pat-fitzgerald-is-close-to-filing-a-mega-million-lawsuit-against-northwestern