Bell fired, Carey will be OC

KDB

4 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

May not take that. Too much money coming from the media deal to hide. Dolson and the BOD will look stupid by acting as if there is no money. The fans are screaming. I’m pretty conservative when it comes to these things but this is beyond ridiculous. If you fire a guy like this it looks really bad on you. This means you had no faith in him from the beginning. TA needs to go. His schtick is over. 

Dolson said last year most of that money has already been spent so there isn't as much as you think.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Dolson said last year most of that money has already been spent so there isn't as much as you think.

I heard that too. He was also betting his horse would win. IU now looks incredibley stupid for earmarking those insane amount of funds. Will be interesting to see how much pressure they get. New age in my opinion. This is actually worse than the Archie problem. With the new teams coming this needs to be addressed now. I’ll leave on this note. 

Edited by Victobmyboy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Football drives the bus. IU will move on this one. Same circumstances 2-3 years ago they don’t but this is a new era. Don’t compare us with PUke either. This one is getting a lot of attention. 

Compare you to Purdue? What does Purdue have to do with any of this?

Edited by Stlboiler23

52 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

May not take that. Too much money coming from the media deal to hide. Dolson and the BOD will look stupid by acting as if there is no money. The fans are screaming. I’m pretty conservative when it comes to these things but this is beyond ridiculous. If you fire a guy like this it looks really bad on you. This means you had no faith in him from the beginning. TA needs to go. His schtick is over. 

I think the big donors will come out if they can put something other than bottom feeder teams on the field. 

3 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t know anything about Carey! It sounds 

like he’s had some success. Does he like his offense to throw the short and get play makes to break it big! Does he use his running backs an thightends in pass routes! Is he a smash mouth guy. Three four yards and a cloud of dust, 

Ran a lot of RPO at Temple

19 hours ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I don’t know anything about Carey! It sounds 

like he’s had some success. Does he like his offense to throw the short and get play makes to break it big! Does he use his running backs an thightends in pass routes! Is he a smash mouth guy. Three four yards and a cloud of dust, 

Followed him somewhat while he was at Northern Illinois.  Relied a lot on the run and screen passes.  Threw deep occasionally but not very often.

• Like 1

If we can tighten up short yardage and curtail slow developing horizontal play calls well behind the line of scrimmage, it will go a long way.  Jettison the option, especially to the short end of the field near the goal line where the safeties are already compressed toward the LOS.  Get the right personnel on the field.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seriously, I don't know why anyone was excited about Bell. Or why he was ever hired. He won 2 games at UMass 

If I remember right. I don’t think people were excited we hired Coach Bell. I do remember we were glad to get rid of Nick Sheridan 

I am hoping Coach Carey works out to a more positive end! He has a real up hill battle coming in behind the eight all like this facing Michigan right off the bat an right in the middle of our toughest stretch in our schedule.

Bath by fire! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seriously, I don't know why anyone was excited about Bell. Or why he was ever hired. He won 2 games at UMass 

His team's total offense rankings at P5 schools:

MD   2016 - 93

MD   2017 - 120

FL ST 2018 - 103

UMass 2019 - 126

UMass 2020 - 127

UMass 2021 - 122

IU 2022 - 110

IU 2023 - 110

• Like 1

Rod Carey:

OFFENSE RANKINGS (per-game averages) (FBS teams only)

Northern Illinois

2011: Points (12th), total yards (11th) | rush yards (12th), pass yards (51st)

2012: Points (13th)total yards (20th) | rush yards (12th), pass yards (63rd)

2013: Points (11th)total yards (5th) | rush yards (7th), pass yards (76th)

2014: Points (49th)total yards (38th) | rush yards (18th), pass yards (99th)

2015: Points (51st)total yards (66th) | rush yards (41st), pass yards (82nd)

2016: Points (55th)total yards (28th) | rush yards (17th), pass yards (73rd)

2017: Points (60th)total yards (93rd) | rush yards (48th), pass yards (86th)

2018: Points (121st)total yards (124th) | rush yards (70th), pass yards (120th)

Temple

2019: Points (86th)total yards (79th) | rush yards (97th), pass yards (45th)

2020: Points (114th)total yards (100th) | rush yards (85th), pass yards (83rd)

2021: Points (127th)total yards (125th) | rush yards (117th), pass yards (110th)

Here’s something that really stood out to me that Carey said….

CAREY: There are probably some things that we have done that we need to do more of that has been successful. This is the cheap seats version of it: you see something that you've done good, and we just need to do more of it. You see something that hasn't been productive, you just don't do that anymore.

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when he was “quality controllin” Coach Bell’s performance. I bolded the comment where I feel Carey realized that Bell was making some poor choices, and continuing to do so…

He said he is in every meeting and game, but his position doesn’t allow him to speak out at those moments, only take notes. I’m sure his heart rate ballooned and pen pressure increased immensely during all his observations! Lol

Im sure he was a big part in helping Allen finally make the decision. 

• Like 1