IUBB '24/‘25

DC2345

Just now, ledies22 said:

they do, but not to the extent. I think our overreaction at times exacerbates the issue. Coach Cal seems to have made it through, at least temporarily. But I would put us up there with Kentucky in terms of overreaction and temperamental fan bases. But i dont think any other major program has experienced what we have in the last 20 years. 

I think you can go down the list of every coach, and say they would not have lasted here in the current environment based on their results. 

I see where you’re coming from. Not sure I agree the coaches at other elite programs wouldn’t have lasted here with their results, but we won’t really ever know because we haven’t even touched their success.

My only comparison is really UCLA - they’ve had better recent success than us and run through coaches just as fast. Their fans may not be as loud, they just stop showing up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah I can see how a bunch of pissed of fans might be worse than just not having many fans, but it seems like if utilized properly that could be an advantage few can match.

Correct, but on the other side, would you rather have pissed off fans or apathetic fans. I would prefer the former. I wish there was a better way to express that I guess.... idk.

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

Correct, but on the other side, would you rather have pissed off fans or apathetic fans. I would prefer the former. I wish there was a better way to express that I guess.... idk.

I’d rather have pissed off fans than apathetic fans.

I can only compare coaching here to what I do for a living because it’s what I know, but in my field there are jobs that you can make a safe, good living with a high floor and a (relatively) low ceiling. And there are jobs that you can literally make family changing money, but you can get left empty handed.

It takes the right personality to have success at the latter, and that’s what I would compare us to. 

47 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

they do, but not to the extent. I think our overreaction at times exacerbates the issue. Coach Cal seems to have made it through, at least temporarily. But I would put us up there with Kentucky in terms of overreaction and temperamental fan bases. But i dont think any other major program has experienced what we have in the last 20 years. 

I think you can go down the list of every coach, and say they would not have lasted here in the current environment based on their results. 

All fan bases have some percentage of "overreactors". My brother is a huge Purdue fan and he (plus so many others) were calling for Painter's head after they lost to Virginia in the tournament several years back. I live in NC and there were a significant number of UNC fans wanting Roy Williams "forced to retire" after they lost in the final 4 to Kansas in '08.  Factions of every fan base have different "bars" they are measuring their team/program against. When that bar isn't met, they grumble and complain. My bar right now for IU is be competitive in the BigTen and make the tournament regularly. Until we achieve that, anything above it is a pipe-dream based on the past. Others may have the bar for IU set higher and that's their prerogative. I don't feel that makes either side more or less of a fan

Edited by HoosierDPU95
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I see where you’re coming from. Not sure I agree the coaches at other elite programs wouldn’t have lasted here with their results, but we won’t really ever know because we haven’t even touched their success.

My only comparison is really UCLA - they’ve had better recent success than us and run through coaches just as fast. Their fans may not be as loud, they just stop showing up. 

If coach K's first 4 years were in today's environment he wouldn't have made it any further.

Edited by IU Scott

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

It depends how and who they are voicing concerns to. To me our fans shouldn't ever personally go to players twitter page and ridicule them. I wish our fans wouldn't tweet at recruits so much in a creepy way, like the Hoosier Hysterics

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If coach K's first 4 years were in today's environment he wouldn't have made it any further.

I think saying that if you drop X person into Y environment with no changes to X, that they’d have different results applies to a lot of things.

Adaptability and growth are two traits that make people successful across a multitude of situations. Coach K would’ve been fine in any era of coaching basketball. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think saying that if you drop X person into Y environment with no changes to X, that they’d have different results applies to a lot of things.

Adaptability and growth are two traits that make people successful across a multitude of situations. Coach K would’ve been fine in any era of coaching basketball. 

We take players numbers and stats at face value all of the time, why can't we do the same for coaches and their records/results?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

We take players numbers and stats at face value all of the time, why can't we do the same for coaches and their records/results?

Given an unknown coach K, stepping into IU basketball next year(24/25 season) and having these results (his first 4 years).  At the end of year 2 we would be talking hot seat and at year 3 we would be having this exact thread about firing him.  Some would say he needs 4 years etc.. while others would say he needed to be gone after year 2.  He would most likely get a year 4 and we would be debating if it was good enough to get a year 5.  Of course Year 5 he goes to and loses in the NC, which could lead to another year or 2 which of course starts he run of S16, E8s, FF and eventually back to back NCs.

image.png.5e0b9e9977ab0a410a609895d18c4d43.png

Of course a known Coach K would have much more leeway if this had been his first 3 years coming from Duke and knowing what he could do.  Although i doubt a known Coach K would have these results based on his ability to recruit just by him name alone and the fact he was/is a really good coach.

Fun thought experiment.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Given an unknown coach K, stepping into IU basketball next year(24/25 season) and having these results (his first 4 years).  At the end of year 2 we would be talking hot seat and at year 3 we would be having this exact thread about firing him.  Some would say he needs 4 years etc.. while others would say he needed to be gone after year 2.  He would most likely get a year 4 and we would be debating if it was good enough to get a year 5.  Of course Year 5 he goes to and loses in the NC, which could lead to another year or 2 which of course starts he run of S16, E8s, FF and eventually back to back NCs.

Of course a known Coach K would have much more leeway if this had been his first 3 years coming from Duke and knowing what he could do.  Although i doubt a known Coach K would have these results based on his ability to recruit just by him name alone and the fact he was/is a really good coach.

Fun thought experiment.

Here's a question. What would Duke do today if a coach had those results?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree but if he was coaching at IU and had his record after 4 years our fans would ran him out of town.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It depends how and who they are voicing concerns to. To me our fans shouldn't ever personally go to players twitter page and ridicule them. I wish our fans wouldn't tweet at recruits so much in a creepy way, like the Hoosier Hysterics

if i have any concerns i am letting you know and would like for you to email Dolson.

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Fun thought experiment.

it is indeed. I went through almost 15 coaches with this exercise and the only one I could say (not confidently) was Bill Self at Kansas. Dan Hurley, K, Izzo, Dusty May, Painter, Pearl, Scott Drew

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

it is indeed. I went through almost 15 coaches with this exercise and the only one I could say (not confidently) was Bill Self at Kansas. Dan Hurley, K, Izzo, Dusty May, Painter, Pearl, Scott Drew

What exercise did you run through?

Id love to see the results and how you controlled for NIL and the portal? How did you factor in their age and previous track records, situation they took over, etc?

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What exercise did you run through?

Id love to see the results and how you controlled for NIL and the portal? How did you factor in their age and previous track records, situation they took over, etc?

I don’t think there is a lot of explanation needed. You look at a coach’s record and results in terms of post season, and see at what point would IU fans eat them alive and have them fired or at least try and make fire x coach as a topic thread.

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I don’t think there is a lot of explanation needed. You look at a coach’s record and results in terms of post season, and see at what point would IU fans eat them alive and have them fired or at least try and make fire x coach as a topic thread.

I do think that would be an interesting topic of discussion, would love to have a good way to control for NIL, transfer portal, the situation when those coaches started, etc.

Any thoughts there?

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I do think that would be an interesting topic of discussion, would love to have a good way to control for NIL, transfer portal, the situation when those coaches started, etc.

Any thoughts there?

It would be easier to just look at the records and tournament results. If we consider the NIL and transfer portal, then we would have to consider the adding of the three point line, the expansion of the tournament, and various other changes which would be hard to factor. 

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

It would be easier to just look at the records and tournament results. If we consider the NIL and transfer portal, then we would have to consider the adding of the three point line, the expansion of the tournament, and various other changes which would be hard to factor. 

Don't forget the shot clock going from 45,40,35,30 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Don't forget the shot clock going from 45,40,35,30 

Don't forget the NCAAT field expanding.

If the field would have been 68 in K's first year at Duke, the Blue Devils make the tournament.

• Like 2