Mgbako Arrested

ephul

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Coach and MM have put this behind them. This conversation needs to get put behind us.

Respectively, I didn't understand the big deal the entire time. 

We aren't their coach, we aren't their parents... we are fans of the basketball team they play for. Nothing more. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

100%

Wittman, Kitchel, IT, Watford, VO, OG, Thomas Bryant, Zeller, Damon Bailey, JHS, TJD, AJ Guyton, Odle, Jared Jefferies, HORNSBY, DJ White.... all of them. TELL DD TO STFU. 

Eric Gordon. 

Hulls can't really, wish he could. 

I'd like to see Thomas Bryant and/or DJ White deliver that message in person

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I somewhat agree. I do think Mack could have handled things better, but I also think he probably wasn’t nearly as out of line as some folks painted him.

The resisting arrest charge got dropped for a reason…

If it's true that he was on the phone with his Dad, I can see him being told, "don't leave the parking lot, don't get out of the car, keep your hands on the wheel where they're visible"

• Like 3

Based on what we know, I think he should have been suspended for a few games.  Looking the other way on player's conduct is exactly the type of stuff we scold other schools/coaches for doing. 

Maybe he has come up with repercussions behind closed doors but how bad could that be given no missed game time.

Oh well, time to move on

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Based on what we know, I think he should have been suspended for a few games.  Looking the other way on player's conduct is exactly the type of stuff we scold other schools/coaches for doing. 

Maybe he has come up with repercussions behind closed doors but how bad could that be given no missed game time.

Oh well, time to move on

Agreed.  You hit the nail on the head with your point about our fan base scolding the way other programs handle this type of thing. 

If it's punishable at Illinois, it should be punishable at IU.  If you're a fan that  el IU evens it's not punishable, regardless of school, I can respect that, even though I dont agree with it. 

But, for those that will get all hot and bothered the next time a coach at another school looks the other way or just slaps a player's wrist instead of giving some form of suspension, you can't cry foul if you are okay with what happened here.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  You hit the nail on the head with your point about our fan base scolding the way other programs handle this type of thing. 

If it's punishable at Illinois, it should be punishable at IU.  If you're a fan that  el IU evens it's not punishable, regardless of school, I can respect that, even though I dont agree with it. 

But, for those that will get all hot and bothered the next time a coach at another school looks the other way or just slaps a player's wrist instead of giving some form of suspension, you can't cry foul if you are okay with what happened here.

But will our fanbase ever stop "jumping the gun" on this stuff? They've have blown the Fife situation out of proportion, the XJ situation, and now this one. 

MM didn't deserve a suspension, that's why he wasn't suspended. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Oh well, time to move on

Who? when? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Oh well, time to move on

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to push back on us "knowing" much at all that is troubling. Based on what we know I am fine with zero games, and I've had been fine with a minimal suspension too. 

What is it that you all think you know that was so bad?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But will our fanbase ever stop "jumping the gun" on this stuff? They've have blown the Fife situation out of proportion, the XJ situation, and now this one. 

MM didn't deserve a suspension, that's why he wasn't suspended. 

Preach. There is a certain part of our fanbase that has repeatedly jumped the gun on vilifying our staff and players in the past couple of years since Woodson took over whenever anything happens that they don't like and have incredibly limited knowledge of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Begs the question, is Woody soft? Or did Mack get painted in an unfair light publicly?

Remember back when the biggest issue facing a presidential candidate's character was that he didn't serve in the military or whether he inhaled or not?    The world has changed for better or worse.   Seems like winning it what's really important to many. 

No I don't think he's being too soft.  It's trespassing.   A victimless crime.  Kline passed out at the wheel.  Gillis blew well over twice the legal limit.  Those two things are dangerous to innocent people. To be fair X speeding to me is a bigger issue, but in the end it was a traffic violation if I'm not mistaken. 

The only incident I can remember that involved another Big 10 school/player that would equate to this was when Trevion Williams supposedly pushed a female McDonald's supervisor to the ground over a french fry order that was cancelled...And I don't' think all that much was said on here about it...I'm pretty sure Painter didn't take any disciplinary action and rightly so...

And trying to equate this with DUI, or even X's reckless driving rap is way off base to me...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The only incident I can remember that involved another Big 10 school/player that would equate to this was when Trevion Williams supposedly pushed a female McDonald's supervisor to the ground over a french fry order that was cancelled...And I don't' think all that much was said on here about it...I'm pretty sure Painter didn't take any disciplinary action and rightly so...

And trying to equate this with DUI, or even X's reckless driving rap is way off base to me...

I have a buddy who goes to an alumni/booster type dinner that Painter has 4-5 times a year during the season.  Someone asked Painter if the punishments are the same for discipline issue regardless of who the player is.  Long story short he said no.  A walk on gets no slack.  A kid who can put the ball in basket gets a much longer leash.  He actually started the response with " Do I look stupid?" 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm going to push back on us "knowing" much at all that is troubling. Based on what we know I am fine with zero games, and I've had been fine with a minimal suspension too. 

What is it that you all think you know that was so bad?

I think cursing/being belligerent and refusing to leave is bad.

I think coming back (even if to an adjacent parking lot) was bad.

Maybe the cops overreacted when punching out his window but I'm not sure what story doesn't also have Mgbako in the wrong given he was told to leave and shouldn't have still been there to get his window smashed.

Sure we don't 100% know given the report/news could be inaccurate, which is why I said based on what we know.  I guess I should have said based on what was reported.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JJack said:

I have a buddy who goes to an alumni/booster type dinner that Painter has 4-5 times a year during the season.  Someone asked Painter if the punishments are the same for discipline issue regardless of who the player is.  Long story short he said no.  A walk on gets no slack.  A kid who can put the ball in basket gets a much longer leash.  He actually started the response with " Do I look stupid?" 

Jimmy Johnson used to say I'll treat players fair but never equal. He goes you think Troy Aikman is getting treated the same as a backup long snapper?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Who? when? 

who when what?  what are you questioning?  

We have gotten on Izzo (or some fans have) for not dishing out much in the way of punishment for one.  I have also read comments in the past about illinois, purdue and others getting chided on our forums when they don't punish a player.  It's happened quite a bit over the years so not sure how that's debatable.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's where i disagree.  Williams should have gotten a game or two plus whatever the courts dished out.

9 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I think cursing/being belligerent and refusing to leave is bad.

Sure, but you can't honestly think that deserves a suspension. I doubt we could field a team. 

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I think coming back (even if to an adjacent parking lot) was bad.

That's very easy to say for you, but if his dad guided him to do that for his own safety.... 

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Maybe the cops overreacted when punching out his window but I'm not sure what story doesn't also have Mgbako in the wrong given he was told to leave and shouldn't have still been there to get his window smashed.

I still haven't seen a post that says Mgbako did nothing wrong. Care to quote it? Lots of "wrongs" happen without suspensions. 

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Sure we don't 100% know given the report/news could be inaccurate, which is why I said based on what we know.  I guess I should have said based on what was reported.

What exactly do you think was reported? We have a statement from police that mostly detailed what happened with resisting arrest, which they dropped. I'm going to go out on a limp and say the facts didn't backup that statement or else it wouldn't have been dropped. 

8 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

We have gotten on Izzo (or some fans have) for not dishing out much in the way of punishment for one.  I have also read comments in the past about illinois, purdue and others getting chided on our forums when they don't punish a player.  It's happened quite a bit over the years so not sure how that's debatable.

So you're comparing this to what has happened at MSU? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Izzo had players raping women. That's hard to compare to an argument with a T Bell worker. 

I've never really witnessed anything you're mentioning, but aren't fans supposed to be, you know, biased? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No supposedly to it. They have video of it and still did nothing. The police wouldn’t even charge him. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sure, but you can't honestly think that deserves a suspension. I doubt we could field a team. 

That's very easy to say for you, but if his dad guided him to do that for his own safety.... 

I still haven't seen a post that says Mgbako did nothing wrong. Care to quote it? Lots of "wrongs" happen without suspensions. 

What exactly do you think was reported? We have a statement from police that mostly detailed what happened with resisting arrest, which they dropped. I'm going to go out on a limp and say the facts didn't backup that statement or else it wouldn't have been dropped. 

The post I responded to was acting like he didn't do anything bad.

And I sure as hell hope the entire team wouldn't  have instances of acted like that.   You think that is so common place on our team that a couple game suspension would keep us from fielding a team?  Please