Mgbako Arrested

ephul

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Just an FYI, the prosecution not filing resisting charges doesn't equate to "cops broke his window for no reason". They still had probable cause to arrest him for criminal trespass (a charge that stuck) and used it as a means to get him out of his vehicle that he refused to exit. 

They had probable cause but that doesn’t automatically make him guilty.  He’s entered a plea of not guilty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iuswingman said:

That's where i disagree.  Williams should have gotten a game or two plus whatever the courts dished out.

For what? No proof of him doing anything wrong and the courts didn’t dish anything out either. I think both he and Mgbako got punished by probably doing a lot of sprints/stairs at the football stadium. And that’s how it should be. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

But the police don’t have time nor should they have to keep repeating themselves over and over and over. If they asked him to leave multiple times and he didn’t, then it’s going to the next level. 🤷🏻‍♂️ How would you have liked them to handle the situation? Once he refused to leave and it had gotten to the point that he was getting arrested, they will and should pull you out of your car if you aren’t reasonably complying. 

I can certainly see MM getting pissed at Taco Bell if he paid for something and didn’t receive it. Anybody would be. But come on man, once the police are called and they just ask you to go home, go home! Call tomorrow to try to get your money back.  I guess I’m struggling to understand why he’d even need to call “Dad” if he did what was asked of him (which they had the right to do in asking him to leave). 

Oh well, time to move on. I’m sure he has learned a lesson and I trust CMW to make the right decisions with the info he has. Maybe there is more to it than we know. 

So to be clear, I do agree MM should have left long before the police got involved. He also should have left quicker when the police did get involved.

Where I struggle with things is that once he left (and per the police statement, had not been told he was under arrest) and made a scared phone call to his dad, the police should have been done. I would tell my white daughters not to get out of the car at that point, let alone a young black male.

I don’t think police should bust the windows of teenagers that aren’t a threat and are engaging with their parents. Do we want parents more involved with raising their kids or do we want the government doing it all?

The rub for me is how the charges were handled. If the prosecutor felt MM wasn’t being reasonable staying in the car those charges would have stuck; the prosecutor would have seen the body cam and all the info and decided he wasn’t doing anything unreasonable. Well the logical conclusion to me is that if MM wasn’t unreasonable in sitting in the car, then the cops must have been unreasonable in breaking his window and dragging him out of it.

So to answer your question about what I’d have liked the police to do, it’s use a lot more discretion and to protect and serve all the parties in the situation, not just the business. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For what? No proof of him doing anything wrong and the courts didn’t dish anything out either. I think both he and Mgbako got punished by probably doing a lot of sprints/stairs at the football stadium. And that’s how it should be. 

Courts haven't even heard mgbako's case and the threshold for a suspension should be much lower than the threshold for going to jail.  So claiming that nothing should be done based what courts did or haven't done yet is a bit off the mark

Edited by iuswingman
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yep, it is crazy that there are posters defending players who have broken the law 

I haven’t seen anyone say he didn’t do anything wrong, but we are talking about a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

You guys want to vilify a kid over a misdemeanor trespassing charge…

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I haven’t seen anyone say he didn’t do anything wrong, but we are talking about a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

You guys want to vilify a kid over a misdemeanor trespassing charge…

I haven’t vilified anyone. If you go back through this, early on I suggested that MM and the entire team be required to get up at 6:00 to run gassers. I felt/feel like that would be an appropriate punishment for his behavior.

That being said, I am not defending him or anyone who breaks the law whiile being privileged to wear the candy stripes. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I haven’t vilified anyone. If you go back through this, early on I suggested that MM and the entire team be required to get up at 6:00 to run gassers. I felt/feel like that would be an appropriate punishment for his behavior.

That being said, I am not defending him or anyone who breaks the law whiile being privileged to wear the candy stripes. 

Then you probably didn’t fit into that comment I made with regard to this thread. I think running is perfectly reasonable for his part of this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So to be clear, I do agree MM should have left long before the police got involved. He also should have left quicker when the police did get involved.

Where I struggle with things is that once he left (and per the police statement, had not been told he was under arrest) and made a scared phone call to his dad, the police should have been done. I would tell my white daughters not to get out of the car at that point, let alone a young black male.

I don’t think police should bust the windows of teenagers that aren’t a threat and are engaging with their parents. Do we want parents more involved with raising their kids or do we want the government doing it all?

The rub for me is how the charges were handled. If the prosecutor felt MM wasn’t being reasonable staying in the car those charges would have stuck; the prosecutor would have seen the body cam and all the info and decided he wasn’t doing anything unreasonable. Well the logical conclusion to me is that if MM wasn’t unreasonable in sitting in the car, then the cops must have been unreasonable in breaking his window and dragging him out of it.

So to answer your question about what I’d have liked the police to do, it’s use a lot more discretion and to protect and serve all the parties in the situation, not just the business. 

I get what you’re saying, but didn’t he leave, then come back? Even if he came back and sat in an adjacent parking lot, that’s suspicious and not exactly following what the police asked him to do. I don’t want police busting out windows either, but how long do they put up with somebody not following their requests? Can’t sit there all night. 

I WAS told by somebody that would know that he didn’t leave because his Dad told him not to, so that seems to be accurate. I was also told that Woody tried to “kill” him over the last couple days. So it sounds like Woody wasn’t happy with MM and made him pay for it. A stupid mistake by a college kid that doesn’t register high on the scale. And while i can see it be concerning to some that there might be or could be a habit developed of not listening to authority, I’m confident Woody is a solid mentor and MM will be better for it. Time to move on in my book.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I get what you’re saying, but didn’t he leave, then come back? Even if he came back and sat in an adjacent parking lot, that’s suspicious and not exactly following what the police asked him to do. I don’t want police busting out windows either, but how long do they put up with somebody not following their requests? Can’t sit there all night. 

I WAS told by somebody that would know that he didn’t leave because his Dad told him not to, so that seems to be accurate. I was also told that Woody tried to “kill” him over the last couple days. So it sounds like Woody wasn’t happy with MM and made him pay for it. A stupid mistake by a college kid that doesn’t register high on the scale. And while i can see it be concerning to some that there might be or could be a habit developed of not listening to authority, I’m confident Woody is a solid mentor and MM will be better for it. Time to move on in my book.

Yeah man I think we are mostly on the same page and may just see a few details slightly differently. I am glad it seems like he had to work his butt off in practice. 

• Like 2