Mgbako Arrested

ephul

11 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

The post I responded to was acting like he didn't do anything bad.

And I sure as hell hope the entire team wouldn't  have instances of acted like that.   You think that is so common place on our team that a couple game suspension would keep us from fielding a team?  Please

I don't think anyone thinks he acted like a choir boy; the difference is there's a subset on here that seems to think he should be suspended because he got mad at Taco Bell workers and then bullied by police as a result.

And yes, I'm comfortable saying that breaking a kids window when he is scared and on the phone with his dad is bullying. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But will our fanbase ever stop "jumping the gun" on this stuff? They've have blown the Fife situation out of proportion, the XJ situation, and now this one. 

MM didn't deserve a suspension, that's why he wasn't suspended. 

56 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm going to push back on us "knowing" much at all that is troubling. Based on what we know I am fine with zero games, and I've had been fine with a minimal suspension too. 

What is it that you all think you know that was so bad?

Regardless of anything else that happened, he ignored specific instruction given him by law enforcement.  And, the initial  instructions they gave him were perfectly reasonable.  They asked him to leave.  Period.  And, he refused.

Instead of assuming the worst of these law enforcement officers, give them the same benefit of the doubt you are giving MM.  

The post about Painter is spot on.  MM is being judged differently than a regular schmuck off the street would be, and possibly differently than even a lesser player on the same team.  And, I'm not pointing that comment towards Coach Woodson.  I'm talking about the fan base.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Regardless of anything else that happened, he ignored specific instruction given him by law enforcement.  And, the initial  instructions they gave him were perfectly reasonable.  They asked him to leave.  Period.  And, he refused.

Instead of assuming the worst of these law enforcement officers, give them the same benefit of the doubt you are giving MM.  

The post about Painter is spot on.  MM is being judged differently than a regular schmuck off the street would be, and possibly differently than even a lesser player on the same team.  And, I'm not pointing that comment towards Coach Woodson.  I'm talking about the fan base.

I never mentioned a single thing about a cop. I don't really have an issue with anything they did. 

But to the bold... why should I care? He isn't my player, he isn't my kid, he isn't my student. I'm a fan, my role in this program is to be a fan. So... again... why should I care? 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

He did enough leaving that the prosecutor didn't think it was reasonable to charge him. Why is that? 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

They busted out a kids car window that was scared on the phone with his dad. Their own authority, the prosecutor, didn't take their side. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

LOL

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

What FACTS do you have to support that comment?

They broke his window by their own admission. The prosecutor then proceeded to say whatever he was doing when they broke his window didn't amount to resisting, which means it was completely unreasonable. You don't think unreasonably breaking someones window is bullying? 

Just now, iuswingman said:

There is when people shouldn't be looking the other way.

Never said the punishment should be equal.

Who has looked the other way? Every single person has said MM should have handled things better.

There is a massive gap in looking the other way and saying MM should have handled things differently but also doesn't deserve to be suspended. Not every mistake deserves a suspension - that's true of basketball, work, life. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone thinks he acted like a choir boy; the difference is there's a subset on here that seems to think he should be suspended because he got mad at Taco Bell workers and then bullied by police as a result.

And yes, I'm comfortable saying that breaking a kids window when he is scared and on the phone with his dad is bullying. 

He just got mad at taco bell workers?  He was bullied by police?

Major understatement of the year combined with facts not in evidence.

• Like 1

Just now, iuswingman said:

He just got mad at taco bell workers?  He was bullied by police?

Major understatement of the year combined with facts not in evidence.

Yes, he just got mad at Taco Bell workers? What else do you want to call it? I am pretty sure if he went beyond being mad at them there would have been some other charge. 

And yes, a person in a position of authority breaking a window for no reason (take it up with the prosecutor if you think the police had a good reason) amounts to bullying. 

None of that is from a fact that isn't publicly available. 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

I think cursing/being belligerent and refusing to leave is bad.

I think coming back (even if to an adjacent parking lot) was bad.

Maybe the cops overreacted when punching out his window but I'm not sure what story doesn't also have Mgbako in the wrong given he was told to leave and shouldn't have still been there to get his window smashed.

Sure we don't 100% know given the report/news could be inaccurate, which is why I said based on what we know.  I guess I should have said based on what was reported.

And he'll be fined and be punished via the legal system.  Now... let's go win some ball games. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, he just got mad at Taco Bell workers? What else do you want to call it? I am pretty sure if he went beyond being mad at them there would have been some other charge. 

And yes, a person in a position of authority breaking a window for no reason (take it up with the prosecutor if you think the police had a good reason) amounts to bullying. 

None of that is from a fact that isn't publicly available. 

for no reason is an assumption.  

Sure, i wish this was all the fault of the taco bell workers and the police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Respectively, I didn't understand the big deal the entire time. 

We aren't their coach, we aren't their parents... we are fans of the basketball team they play for. Nothing more. 

Exactly!   I turn the game on a couple times a week for a few hours to be entertained from the sometimes day to day grind of life.  I want to see an entertaining product.   I have no moral or ethical obligation or interest in how other people decided to handle their personal business/life.   Sports are entertainment.  CMW and all players and coaches are in the entertainment business. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Just an FYI, the prosecution not filing resisting charges doesn't equate to "cops broke his window for no reason". They still had probable cause to arrest him for criminal trespass (a charge that stuck) and used it as a means to get him out of his vehicle that he refused to exit. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

for no reason is an assumption.  

Sure, i wish this was all the fault of the taco bell workers and the police.

It’s not an assumption, it’s trusting the prosecutor.

No one has said it was all the police or Taco Bell workers fault…

49 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Just an FYI, the prosecution not filing resisting charges doesn't equate to "cops broke his window for no reason". They still had probable cause to arrest him for criminal trespass (a charge that stuck) and used it as a means to get him out of his vehicle that he refused to exit. 

I guess we could argue semantics, but the police using force and damaging property to arrest someone over trespassing falls into the unnecessary category in my book.

• Like 1

Literally nobody in this thread has said it was all the fault of the TB workers and the police. 

Not a single person in this thread has said MM doesn't hold blame and nobody has said he shouldn't be punished.

Nobody has said "look the other way". 

None of these things have happened. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Literally nobody in this thread has said it was all the fault of the TB workers and the police. 

Not a single person in this thread has said MM doesn't hold blame and nobody has said he shouldn't be punished.

Nobody has said "look the other way". 

None of these things have happened. 

He has weak arguments so he feels the need to knock down straw men.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The only incident I can remember that involved another Big 10 school/player that would equate to this was when Trevion Williams supposedly pushed a female McDonald's supervisor to the ground over a french fry order that was cancelled...And I don't' think all that much was said on here about it...I'm pretty sure Painter didn't take any disciplinary action and rightly so...

And trying to equate this with DUI, or even X's reckless driving rap is way off base to 

2 hours ago, iuswingman said:

That's where i disagree.  Williams should have gotten a game or two plus whatever the courts dished out.

Did any of you see the video ?

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess we could argue semantics, but the police using force and damaging property to arrest someone over trespassing falls into the unnecessary category in my book.

But the police don’t have time nor should they have to keep repeating themselves over and over and over. If they asked him to leave multiple times and he didn’t, then it’s going to the next level. 🤷🏻‍♂️ How would you have liked them to handle the situation? Once he refused to leave and it had gotten to the point that he was getting arrested, they will and should pull you out of your car if you aren’t reasonably complying. 

I can certainly see MM getting pissed at Taco Bell if he paid for something and didn’t receive it. Anybody would be. But come on man, once the police are called and they just ask you to go home, go home! Call tomorrow to try to get your money back.  I guess I’m struggling to understand why he’d even need to call “Dad” if he did what was asked of him (which they had the right to do in asking him to leave). 

Oh well, time to move on. I’m sure he has learned a lesson and I trust CMW to make the right decisions with the info he has. Maybe there is more to it than we know. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Based on what we know, I think he should have been suspended for a few games.  Looking the other way on player's conduct is exactly the type of stuff we scold other schools/coaches for doing. 

Maybe he has come up with repercussions behind closed doors but how bad could that be given no missed game time.

Oh well, time to move on

Would you say to a math major in the same instance........ Sorry son, but you can't take the next two tests because you screwed up a drive through ? 

11 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Would you say to a math major in the same instance........ Sorry son, but you can't take the next two tests because you screwed up a drive through ? 

Math majors are no joke. Rare breed. My best friend growing graduated from USI as the only Math major in our class.