Wright State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

O/U for made Wright State three pointers is 14.

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Did you make that up or is that for real?  

I'm predicting 9.  The defense will show improvement.   

They're 10-31 on 3s in their 2 games so I'd take the under on either of those... 

What I'm really hoping for tomorrow night is a team that comes out with a focus and bit of a chip on the shoulder that comes from knowing they have not looked sharp and wanting to show what they can be and not what they have been.  I certainly don't expect a finished product at this time of the year.  However, I would like to see some improvement from the last game to give us something positive headed into the trip to NYC.  I have to watch later on DVR tomorrow night so have fun in the game thread my fellow degenerates.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So one thing I haven't yet seen mentioned is the massive lead we have in both FTs attempted (52-15) and FTs made (37-5) in our 2 games...

Yup, the focus has been on the 3P attempt discrepancy, but FT attempts is one way to make up for that. So far we have the 7th highest free throw rate on offense and 5th lowest free throw rate on defense in the country. Will be interesting to see if that continues. Last year we were really bad at getting to the line.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kdug said:

Yup, the focus has been on the 3P attempt discrepancy, but FT attempts is one way to make up for that. So far we have the 7th highest free throw rate on offense and 5th lowest free throw rate on defense in the country. Will be interesting to see if that continues. Last year we were really bad at getting to the line.

Forgive me if I'm incorrect but I thought Free Throw rate was the number of free throws per field goal attempt. Given that we're nearly dead last in field gold attempts it would make sense that we have a high free throw rate?

47 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Forgive me if I'm incorrect but I thought Free Throw rate was the number of free throws per field goal attempt. Given that we're nearly dead last in field gold attempts it would make sense that we have a high free throw rate?

That is correct. But field goal attempts is impacted by free throw rate. If you’re shooting free throws, that means you aren’t attempting a field goal unless it’s an and one. That’s objectively a good thing since free throws are one of the most efficient ways to score.

Field goal attempts isn’t all that meaningful of a stat since several things impact it.

8 hours ago, Kdug said:

That is correct. But field goal attempts is impacted by free throw rate. If you’re shooting free throws, that means you aren’t attempting a field goal unless it’s an and one. That’s objectively a good thing since free throws are one of the most efficient ways to score.

Field goal attempts isn’t all that meaningful of a stat since several things impact it.

Sure it is.  

• It speaks to a slow tempo
  • It speaks to a lack of offensive rebounding
  • It speaks to a high turnover rate
  • And, as you mentioned, it speaks to Free Throw Rate.

If you have an inordinately low number of field goal attempts, which IU does, 3 of those 4 bullets are negative factors.  The only positive one is FT rate.  

IU will be a (the?) bottom of the conference team in the Big Ten if it continues to be sub-300 in the number of Field Goal attempts.

• Like 2

I do expect to see a better effort tonight. I think we will see more small ball; our depth hurts us here but it is what it is, our best lineup is with the three guards and they are all capable of playing 30+ minutes. Sprinkle in 10 or so minutes from Gunn and that is about half the game looking at a three guard lineup. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Sure it is.  

• It speaks to a slow tempo
  • It speaks to a lack of offensive rebounding
  • It speaks to a high turnover rate
  • And, as you mentioned, it speaks to Free Throw Rate.

If you have an inordinately low number of field goal attempts, which IU does, 3 of those 4 bullets are negative factors.  The only positive one is FT rate.  

IU will be a (the?) bottom of the conference team in the Big Ten if it continues to be sub-300 in the number of Field Goal attempts.

While I agree that those 4 things are the components of FGA, I disagree that 3 are negative. 2 of those 4 are negative, one is positive, and one is neutral. A slow tempo is not inherently a negative thing. The top 3 kenpom teams last year ranked 204, 339, and 235 in tempo. There can be good slow tempo teams and bad fast tempo teams as well as the other way around.

The reason I say field goal attempts isn’t a meaningful stat is because it’s combining a mix of good, bad, and neutral factors, so it’s hard to actually tell what’s going on. I’d prefer to focus on the actual factors that go into it and say IU has done a good job of getting to the free throw line, but struggled immensely with turnovers and rebounding.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So, instead of Hummel, it will be Bardo saying, "I can't understand why they keep leaving Calvin, a 50% three-point shooter, unguarded?

Hell, it might be so obvious that it's Kugler who says that instead of Bardo...