Wright State Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Thursday, November 16th 7 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

Scott Nagy (8th year at Wright State 228-149) brings his Wright State Raiders into SSAH. The Raiders currently sit at 0-1 after a 105-77 loss to Kenpom #61 Colorado State in . WSU also has a game against Toledo (#114) on Tuesday.

In their opener, Wright State allowed an overall 64% from the field, and 41% from 3 point range. They also got out-rebounded 30-23. WSU's box...

image.png.cddf29fe4f423920e2fcb04318cfc0f3.png

A familiar face in there, in Tanner Holden. He spent last year at Ohio State where he struggled to find playing time. He did hit the controversial 3 pointer that beat Rutgers and possibly kept them out of the NCAAs. Trey Calvin averaged 20 ppg last year shooting 39% from 3. He and Holden are the 2 we need to focus our defensive effort on, though junior guard Alex Huibregtse (don't even ask me how to pronounce it :) ) shot 39% from 3 last year on 4 attempts per game.

Wright State is not a big team, so we have the advantage there. They finished 18-15 (10-10, 6th in Horizon MBB) with essentially 4 of the same starters plus Holden this year.

The Raiders currently sit at 163 on Kenpom.

I think this will be a good test for us, and if we play the way we have, Wright State has the potential to beat us. Last year, they weren't a high volume 3 point shooting team (17 per) shooting 36%. If we can solve our defensive woes, particularly communicating and closing out on the shooters, and use our size, we should win...

Go Hoosiers!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Thursday, November 16th 7 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

Scott Nagy (8th year at Wright State 228-149) brings his Wright State Raiders into SSAH. The Raiders currently sit at 1-0 after a 105-77 loss to Kenpom #61 Colorado State in . WSU also has a game against Toledo (#114) on Tuesday.

In their opener, Wright State allowed an overall 64% from the field, and 41% from 3 point range. They also got out-rebounded 30-23. WSU's box...

image.png.cddf29fe4f423920e2fcb04318cfc0f3.png

A familiar face in there, in Tanner Holden. He spent last year at Ohio State where he struggled to find playing time. He did hit the controversial 3 pointer that beat Rutgers and possibly kept them out of the NCAAs. Trey Calvin averaged 20 ppg last year shooting 39% from 3. He and Holden are the 2 we need to focus our defensive effort on, though junior guard Alex Huibregtse (don't even ask me how to pronounce it :) ) shot 39% from 3 last year on 4 attempts per game.

Wright State is not a big team, so we have the advantage there. They finished 18-15 (10-10, 6th in Horizon MBB) with essentially 4 of the same starters plus Holden this year.

The Raiders currently sit at 163 on Kenpom.

I think this will be a good test for us, and if we play the way we have, Wright State has the potential to beat us. Last year, they weren't a high volume 3 point shooting team (17 per) shooting 36%. If we can solve our defensive woes, particularly communicating and closing out on the shooters, and use our size, we should win...

Go Hoosiers!

How can they be 1-0 if they lost their first game

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Calvin appear to be the kind of volume shooter that gives us problems.  Defense has to be better or he could shoot Wright State to victory.  Who gets the defensive assignment?

I'd say X...But we have to communicate better if we're going to slow him down...

Remember last year? Who were the most vocal kids on the floor? JHS and Kopp...Constantly talking...

@Coach Robby was at the game last night and said no one was talking...I was rewatching the game this morning, and there was one play (Hummel commented on it) where Kel'el's man set a screen...X's man used it and Ware dropped leading to an open 3...That happened a few times last night...Gotta let the screener's man know what you're going to do, right?

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd say X...But we have to communicate better if we're going to slow him down...

Remember last year? Who were the most vocal kids on the floor? JHS and Kopp...Constantly talking...

@Coach Robby was at the game last night and said no one was talking...I was rewatching the game this morning, and there was one play (Hummel commented on it) where Kel'el's man set a screen...X's man used it and Ware dropped leading to an open 3...That happened a few times last night...Gotta let the screener's man know what you're going to do, right?

And that's an example of why I'm not questioning Coach Woodson at this point.  Do we honestly think he doesnt stress the importance of that type of communication?  Of course he does.  

Yet, when guys are sitting for those types of miscues, fans get all out of sorts because it's not as obvious as things like taking bad shots, not blocking out, or turning the ball over.

Let the coaches coach.  Accept that a player is on the bench for a reason.  When the player fixes th he issue, he'll play.

• Like 4

Just now, IUFLA said:

I'm taking that as you mean it in jest, but Mac IS probably going to have to guard Tanner Holden, who's no slouch...He average 20 PPG for WSU in 21-22...

I was joking since Mgbako has been terrible on defense. He hasn't even shown much effort in that area so it isn't as though he's trying but doing the wrong thing but instead he either doesn't care or he is completely lost and freezes because has no idea what to do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I was joking since Mgbako has been terrible on defense. He hasn't even shown much effort in that area so it isn't as though he's trying but doing the wrong thing but instead he either doesn't care or he is completely lost and freezes because has no idea what to do.

I'm truly hoping it's the latter...

I'm not one to nitpick little stuff the 2nd week of November. However, I've watched the first 3 games on tv, and was blessed to be front and center last night. There were several possessions in the 2nd half where I could not see the other end very well, so I watched on the jumbo tron screen. 

When I said communication was an issue, it's because there was none. 0. Like I didn't hear a word all night on any possession. It was easy to see how 1-2 screens got Army WIDE open looks much too frequently. We have a ton of talent, but it hasn't came together just yet. Floor spacing when Ware and Renau were in seemed to be an issue (see last year's offense)

Walker has been a struggle, and didn't help himself last night when he basically slammed a dude down after a turnover. CJ seems to be pressing himself on the offensive end. Cupps plays his ass off (everyone knows this) and Sparks was serviceable. I honestly think Jakai may have been player 8-9 on this year's roster...

Long way to go obviously, but it could be a long season if some things don't change quickly! Love Hoosier Nation!

Edit: sorry mods, I responded in wrong thread, sort of

Edited by Coach Robby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach Robby said:

Walker has been a struggle, and didn't help himself last night when he basically slammed a dude down after a turnover. CJ seems to be pressing himself on the offensive end. Cupps plays his ass off (everyone knows this) and Sparks was serviceable. I honestly think Jakai may have been player 8-9 on this year's roster...

Long way to go obviously, but it could be a long season if some things don't change quickly! Love Hoosier Nation!

Edit: sorry mods, I responded in wrong thread, sort of

Kind of like a FGCU...we should beat Wright State but there's no guarantees.

Regarding Walker, never understood the transfer. Guard play was more pressing than getting another raw athlete  who has athleticism but little scoring ability. We have little depth at guard and if any one goes down....yikes.  However, this is the roster CMW constructed so we roll with it. 

As for Gunn and Banks, I am rooting for them tremendously but will repeat what I said last week...They have shown very little in their 1 + years to prove that they can be a force consistently and against quality opponents...hell, Robbie Hummel said as much yesterday regarding CJ's scoring ability at the college level.  

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

If I see the continued lazy challenge of three point shots I'll know CMW has lost their attention or they're just not smart enough to understand what's happening on defence. 

If I see a lack of effort to body for position to rebound, I'll know CMW had lost their attention or they're not willing to be physical.

It starts with the coach, it includes the captains, but everyone is responsible for poor effort.

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Kind of like a FGCU...we should beat Wright State but there's no guarantees.

Regarding Walker, never understood the transfer. Guard play was more pressing than getting another raw athlete  who has athleticism but little scoring ability. We have little depth at guard and if any one goes down....yikes.  However, this is the roster CMW constructed so we roll with it. 

As for Gunn and Banks, I am rooting for them tremendously but will repeat what I said last week...They have shown very little in their 1 + years to prove that they can be a force consistently and against quality opponents...hell, Robbie Hummel said as much yesterday regarding CJ's scoring ability at the college level.  

I honestly believe Jakai would have been the 2nd guard off the bench. That dude is jacked. Watching his HS highlights, I believe his injury setback really put our roster into this “pickle” of not so great guard play. 

also, man a lot of teams have lost already to teams they shouldn’t have. Honestly, we’re extremely fortunate to be 2-0. Could be 0-2 very easily. Cupps won us game 1, ware last night imo 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

If I see the continued lazy challenge of three point shots I'll know CMW has lost their attention or they're just not smart enough to understand what's happening on defence. 

If I see a lack of effort to body for position to rebound, I'll know CMW had lost their attention or they're not willing to be physical.

It starts with the coach, it includes the captains, but everyone is responsible for poor effort.

I honestly wonder what our assistant coaches do. 

• Like 1

CMW says he wants to get out and run more. You don't rebound at a high level you're not running anywhere. And if you don't lock in defensively you'll be running to inbound the ball and that's all the running you will be doing.

Defense and rebounding. If you can't get that right, it doesn't matter what your offense is doing. The fact the offense isn't doing much of anything is just salt in the wound.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Connecticut is the bell weather game.  This should be a 25+ point beat down.  The past 2 games should have been as well.  If this team doesn't have it put together quick, this season can go south in a hurry because we have a tough schedule ahead.

Don't get much tougher than the United States Army, who we just defeated.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Euroclydon said:

CMW says he wants to get out and run more. You don't rebound at a high level you're not running anywhere. And if you don't lock in defensively you'll be running to inbound the ball and that's all the running you will be doing.

Defense and rebounding. If you can't get that right, it doesn't matter what your offense is doing. The fact the offense isn't doing much of anything is just salt in the wound.

“Well again,” you must not actually be paying attention or you just have a Dan Dackich burr about Woody! I give you his quote! Courtesy @The Daily Hoosier
The game is like this: If you get stops and you rebound the ball, you have an opportunity to get out and fast break and make plays,” he said.  “If you get in passing lanes and you get easy steals where you can generate offense that way, it’s a quick way to get out and play faster. Right now we’re not doing none of those things. We’re not getting stops. We’re not getting the ball out and getting up the floor and playing faster.”

Edited by Drroogh
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

“Well again,” you must not actually be paying attention or you just have a Dan Dackich burr about Woody! I give you his quote! Courtesy @The Daily Hoosier
The game is like this: If you get stops and you rebound the ball, you have an opportunity to get out and fast break and make plays,” he said.  “If you get in passing lanes and you get easy steals where you can generate offense that way, it’s a quick way to get out and play faster. Right now we’re not doing none of those things. We’re not getting stops. We’re not getting the ball out and getting up the floor and playing faster.”

He’s saying what Woody said. Am I missing something?