UConn Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I do expect to be -20+ at the final buzzer.

I'd really like to know why some of y'all feel that way? UConn lost their 2 best players, just like we did...They haven't played anyone above 244 on Kenpom, while we've played 2 that were above 200...

We have talent...Do y'all think Danny Hurley is that much better of a coach than Woody?

If I felt even remotely like we were gonna get beat by 20+, I probably wouldn't even watch...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Reports are 6'6" Stephon Castle is injured and will not play this weekend for Uconn...consensus 5 star who's averaging 15 points per game.

this makes me a little more hopeful in keeping it close.  thing is...the kid from Wright St was their stud and we still struggled to beat the at AH.  UConn ain't Wright St and we ain't playing at the Hall.  

I'll throw out a controversial opinion, and encourage you guys to come at me with everything you got (though you wont change my mind).

Here it is.  If X is unable to go in this game, Gunn should get the start, not Cupps.

My reasoning.

1) Gunn is more likely to play under control if on the floor with the 1st team.  Less potential for him to force shots if the emphasis on offense is focused on getting the ball to Ware and Reneau.

2) Cupp's effort can't be questioned, but Gunn offers more potential on defense with his superior length.  Galloway has been bad defensively this year.  Quite bad.  Gunn provides the best opportunity to balance out the defense on the perimeter.

3) I want Cupps on the court and fresh the last 5 minutes of the game.  His ball handling, FT shooting, and court savvy could be the difference in a close game. I don't want him in foul trouble.  I don't want him worn down from playing 35 minutes.  Give him the 20-25 minutes he's used to getting to maximize his value when it counts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'll throw out a controversial opinion, and encourage you guys to come at me with everything you got (though you wont change my mind).

Here it is.  If X is unable to go in this game, Gunn should get the start, not Cupps.

My reasoning.

1) Gunn is more likely to play under control if on the floor with the 1st team.  Less potential for him to force shots if the emphasis on offense is focused on getting the ball to Ware and Reneau.

2) Cupp's effort can't be questioned, but Gunn offers more potential on defense with his superior length.  Galloway has been bad defensively this year.  Quite bad.  Gunn provides the best opportunity to balance out the defense on the perimeter.

3) I want Cupps on the court and fresh the last 5 minutes of the game.  His ball handling, FT shooting, and court savvy could be the difference in a close game. I don't want him in foul trouble.  I don't want him worn down from playing 35 minutes.  Give him the 20-25 minutes he's used to getting to maximize his value when it counts.

Interesting thought...I don't think Woody would do that though...Now, will Gunn be first off the bench? I think so...Replacing Cupps...Then Gabe could come back and spell Trey...

Plus I think Cupps vs another frosh in Soloman Ball while Trey takes Spencer is a better initial matchup for us on the defensive end...I get what you're saying about Gunn's length, but he didn't perform really well on the defensive end...Got caught ball watching more than a few times...

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My reasoning.

This makes sense. 

Keeps at least one of Galloway and Cupps on the floor and fresh if Cupps comes off the bench. 

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My reasoning.

I've actually had this same thought. I don't share your optimism on Gunn's defensive potential vs Cupp's, but I have also thought that I'd X is out it kind of makes sense to put Galloway at the 1 and see if Gunn can do something with the starters. 

Cupps is going to play regardless, but if XJ is out, we will need Galloway and Cupps to sort of start in different lineups but be ready to close together. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've actually had this same thought. I don't share your optimism on Gunn's defensive potential vs Cupp's, but I have also thought that I'd X is out it kind of makes sense to put Galloway at the 1 and see if Gunn can do something with the starters. 

Cupps is going to play regardless, but if XJ is out, we will need Galloway and Cupps to sort of start in different lineups but be ready to close together. 

Take the stat for what it's worth, but Gunn and Cupps have the same defensive rating (101.8) through the first 3 games.  Yes, that number is considered slightly below average. 

But, while Cupps' positioning and effort on defense may be better, Gunn would have the advantage in length and quickness.  If Gunn can make improvements in his positioning and effort, his defensive ceiling is higher. 

Cupps can't do anything to improve his length and improvements in quickness, while possible, can only go so far.

2 hours ago, DWB said:

IMO, this will set the tone for the rest of the season. Will we compete? Or rollover when the going gets tough, and it will.

A bunch of guys are going to have to really play hard for every second they're in the game. No possessions off.

I think X (if available) and Gallo will have to lead the way followed closely by Gabe & Malik. Ware is going to really have to assert himself. We need to play "our game", not theirs.

By all measures this is a home game for UConn. Our fans travel well, but this is a stone's throw from UConn.

Eh, I don’t know if I agree that this sets the tone for the season. Last year, we got smoked by Arizona, Kansas, and Rutgers early in the season. We eventually turned it around and turned into a good team by the end of the season. I don’t feel great about this game, but this is still an IU team that has the potential to improve quite a bit from where they’re currently at regardless of the outcome of the UConn game.

• Like 2

Going to throw a little positive into our threads. In 3 short games we've see Ware emerge as advertised and likely to get better. I'd like to know who UConn has to cover him? Seems our staff has gotten the kid to flip the switch. One other thing I loved last night early in game was the rebound and 3 passes to Mack for the 3 all in under what seemed like 7 seconds.

X or not....I'm not of the opinion that this is some blowout. UConn has played nobody.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to throw a little positive into our threads. In 3 short games we've see Ware emerge as advertised and likely to get better. I'd like to know who UConn has to cover him? Seems our staff has gotten the kid to flip the switch. One other thing I loved last night early in game was the rebound and 3 passes to Mack for the 3 all in under what seemed like 7 seconds.

X or not....I'm not of the opinion that this is some blowout. UConn has played nobody.

so... i am a natural when it comes to negative...  they have a 7 footer that probably matches up pretty well with Ware right?  they are currently ranked #5 and received 1 vote for #1 and we aren't receiving any votes to be considered in the top 25.   they've played no one and blown them all out.  we've played no one and struggled to pull out wins.  they are a good 3 point shooting team and we are bad at defending 3s.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Highlights of Kel'el (noticeably skinnier) when his Oregon team played UConn in the Phil Knight Invitational last year...

I noticed they started Karaban on him...But he did have some time with Clingan on the floor...KW is much more athletic, but he'll be giving up 35+ Lbs...

It was Kel'el's best game during his tenure at Oregon...

So far, the two things that have impressed me about him the most are his hands, and his basketball IQ...Kid knows the game...Reneau talked about it in the postgame...

You really need to add a trigger warning when you click on a video and the first thing you hear is Bill Walton.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'd really like to know why some of y'all feel that way? UConn lost their 2 best players, just like we did...They haven't played anyone above 244 on Kenpom, while we've played 2 that were above 200...

We have talent...Do y'all think Danny Hurley is that much better of a coach than Woody?

If I felt even remotely like we were gonna get beat by 20+, I probably wouldn't even watch...

Probably lost their 3 best with Jackson being the third. He was a second round draft pick

I think we're going to get enough points to win against a good team, but are we going to contest enough 3's to stay close? I don't see any reason to think that we will. The best we can hope for is that we stop some of the egregious over helps (like when MM was guarding the next man over and gave a weak double that put no pressure on the ball handler, or when someone, MM again?, doubled Ware's man in the post rather than let a 7 foot shot blocker take care of a 6'6" guy by himself). But the over helping as a whole is by design. It seems clear that Woody is willing to trade an open 3 for stopping the ball inside. The best we can hope for is a solid close out, and hat seems optimistic - at least for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We're 17th in the nation in FG %...We're getting good shots...

You think that continues against good teams who will also shoot the three a lot more and better than us? Not going to happen. I couldn’t care less about the easy 2’s we’re getting against mediocre opponents. Those same mediocre opponents have lit us up from the perimeter and out-rebounded us. Your point only matters if we’re doing the two things that we aren’t right now. 

Under no circumstances is the current discrepancy in 3 point shooting sustainable against good teams.  We'll be losing every game by 10+ points.  

The only thing that would prevent that would be if we started dominating on th he boards (also a current weakness) or if we forced our opponents into 20+ turnovers a game (highly unlikely).

That's not simply a negative view.  Those are facts based on the manner in which  the mathematics of the game of basketball work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You think that continues against good teams who will also shoot the three a lot more and better than us? Not going to happen. I couldn’t care less about the easy 2’s we’re getting against mediocre opponents. Those same mediocre opponents have lit us up from the perimeter and out-rebounded us. Your point only matters if we’re doing the two things that we aren’t right now. 

Whether or not it would continue wasn't the statement...

6 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Disciplined offense that works for good shots, and a team commitment to rebounding and defense. None of which has been displayed so far. 

I'd say to be 17th in the nation in FG% vs any schedule shows an offense that works for good shots and makes them...

• Like 1