UConn Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But being sub-300 in the country will result in losing basketball. 

We were sub 300 last year, won 20+ games, finished 2nd in the Big 10 and got a 4 seed...

If you frame it that we may not reach our full potential being sub 300, that's a different story... 

• Like 1

We're tied for 347th out of 351 D1 teams in average 3 PTA's per game. That's ridiculous. 

Again, nobody is saying we should lead the country in attempts, but this is absurd. 

MM is a good shooter. XJ is solid. Galloway is serviceable. Cupps is solid. Both our bigs can make 3's. 

Screenshot_20231118_141157_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

We were sub 300 last year, won 20+ games, finished 2nd in the Big 10 and got a 4 seed...

If you frame it that we may not reach our full potential being sub 300, that's a different story... 

Last year we had one of the best bigs in program history who had absolutely no shooting game outside the paint, a 4 who couldnt shoot at all, and a lottery pick guard who specialized in the mid-range. 

This year we have two bigs that can shoot a bit, a McDonald's AA freshmen who's biggest asset is shooting, a 6th year point guard who shot 38% from 3 his last full year, and a 2-guard who shot very efficiently on low volume last year. 

We're also much worse to this point defending the 3, and it will cause an even wider gap this year, and much worse defensively overall.  

This isn't the same team. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We're tied for 347th out of 351 D1 teams in average 3 PTA's per game. That's ridiculous. 

Again, nobody is saying we should lead the country in attempts, but this is absurd. 

MM is a good shooter. XJ is solid. Galloway is serviceable. Cupps is solid. Both our bigs can make 3's. 

Screenshot_20231118_141157_Chrome.jpg

Rhode Island is 339. :coffee:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Last year we had one of the best bigs in program history who had absolutely no shooting game outside the paint, a 4 who couldnt shoot at all, and a lottery pick guard who specialized in the mid-range. 

This year we have two bigs that can shoot a bit, a McDonald's AA freshmen who's biggest asset is shooting, a 6th year point guard who shot 38% from 3 his last full year, and a 2-guard who shot very efficiently on low volume last year. 

We're also much worse to this point defending the 3, and it will cause an even wider gap this year, and much worse defensively overall.  

I'm hoping as guys start playing a little freer that more threes will present themselves within the offense. To get there we need more movement, shooters getting to spots, and the bigs finding them a bit more. And we have to start hitting the ones we get. I worry that guys with NBA ambitions might be less reluctant to share the ball than to score themselves. Of course, I could be wrong about everything.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm hoping as guys start playing a little freer that more threes will present themselves within the offense. To get there we need more movement, shooters getting to spots, and the bigs finding them a bit more. And we have to start hitting the ones we get. I worry that guys with NBA ambitions might be less reluctant to share the ball than to score themselves. Of course, I could be wrong about everything.

Yeah, one of my complaints has been our bigs unwillingness to kick it out to shooters when doubled/tripled teamed. 

Hard to complain with how efficient our bigs have been, but I think this will come back to haunt us against better teams. 

These last 5 games would have been a great time to build the confidence of shooters and instill those habits from the bigs. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Woody's already said he's not going to have Ware and Reneau hunting threes... And he's also said our strength is inside, so I don't expect a departure from last year, particularly watching our 5 games so far...

So, yes, different team (and I honestly think Ware and Reneau can equal Trayce and Races output offensively) but the same coach

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Woody's already said he's not going to have Ware and Reneau hunting threes... And he's also said our strength is inside, so I don't expect a departure from last year, particularly watching our 5 games so far...

So, yes, different team (and I honestly think Ware and Reneau can equal Trayce and Races output offensively) but the same coach

Sounds like a recipe for a losing season to me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DWB said:

Sorry, but I don't get all you guys wanting us to shoot more 3's, when we don't have a knock down shooter. (at least one that is proven yet)

Seems to me the 1st rule of coaching is "Play to your strengths". 3 pt shooting isn't one of our strengths. It's not as bad as some think, but it isn't our first go-to when there is a transition fast break. (like it was when Alford was there)

A missed 3 pointer often turns into a fast break opportunity for the defense. It's almost like a turnover or steal.

IF...we can get our 3 pt defense in order, and keep the opposition to <30% on their 3's, we'll be fine.

We can get away with the volume of 3s we take and make ONLY if we rebound and lock down the perimeter on the other end, which we don’t. Otherwise, we are going to get pounded regardless of our 2 pt efficiency. We’ve given up 37 3’s and made only 11 this year. That’s a difference of 39 2 pt shots. Against good teams, we will not dominate the paint enough to make up the difference. So we better figure out how to guard the perimeter if we aren’t going to take/make more 3s. 

• Like 1

I try to stay of these discussions because I know CMW knows way more than me and it's his show. But it would be very interesting to see Ware and Malik on the perimeter threatening to shoot the 3 against certain teams ( I'm looking at you Edey). Also if we can be good enough from the arc, teams can't continue to collapse on our bigs. I think we have more tools at our disposal than we have used so far.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I try to stay of these discussions because I know CMW knows way more than me and it's his show. But it would be very interesting to see Ware and Malik on the perimeter threatening to shoot the 3 against certain teams ( I'm looking at you Edey). Also if we can be good enough from the arc, teams can't continue to collapse on our bigs. I think we have more tools at our disposal than we have used so far.

Well put. Our offense is so one-dimensional. We have no fall back plan for when Ware or Reneau are in foul trouble, outmatched or just not playing well. 

Yet, there are clearly things we could be doing. 

I completely realize MM needs to drastically improve defensively, I get that 100%. But, he brings an element offensively that we don't have and apparently we sold him the "Carmelo" package, yet he's been given the "Kopp" role. 

It's frustrating for me to watch him stand in the corner, and then when the bench comes in guys like Walker, Sparks and Gunn get more offense run through them. 

Again, what's the fallback plan offensively? Why would any guard want to come here the way we play? Why would a shooter want to come here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's been 3 games I'm non-con. Holy shit. Anyone stop to thinks maybe Woody is using these games to experiment with lineups?  

Well, he hasn't experimented with not playing two bigs at all times. Where's the experimenting with a more perimeter oriented style or with MM at the 4? 

The experimenting has looked the same as the last two years. Two bigs at all times.  

You're not the only one that has made this point, but I haven't really seem any experimenting.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really, and not nearly to this extent. Most understood the last two years because we had TJD.

My point was more toward doubting Mike Woodson and the team playing "losing basketball."

Like I said, go back and read the ridiculous and embarrassing PSU post game thread... 

Where I'm with you @IUFLA is that we will improve. Woodson will definitely get the defense better. He will, he's too go not too. 

He'll figure out how to get MM to at least be serviceable on that end. I have major concerns about the over-helping though, because that's been a 3 year issue. 

I also just hate our offense. I thinks it's antiquated and not conducive to winning, and I don't think it will work when we play better competition. I just don't, and I think we have a lot more we 'could be doing.'  

Just my opinion and I hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 3