UConn Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Sunday, November 20th 1 PM EST

Where: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

TV: ESPN

Danny Hurley (6th year at UConn 107-52...258-160 overall) leads his 3-0 Connecticut Huskies (#5 AP Poll #4 Coaches) into MSG to take on our Hoosiers in the first game of the Empire Classic. UConn, of course, is coming off of their 5th National Championship last year when they went 31-8, and won all 6 of their tournament games by double digits. The main players they bring back off of that team are 6'5 Senior guard Tristen Newton, 6'8 Sophomore forward Alex Karaban, and 7'2 Sophomore center Donovan Clingan. Those 3 are joined by newcomers 6'4 grad transfer Cam Spencer (Loyola, Md and Rutgers), and 6'6 Freshman Stephon Castle who was a teammate of Jakai Newton at Newton High School in Georgia, and a McDonald's All American in the starting lineup. All 5 starters average double figures.

image.png.ea60e3faf142f020fde219c21074f544.png

As you can see, they run about 10 deep early in the year. The Huskies haven't had much competition yet either playing Kenpom #241 Norther Arizona, #349 Stonehill, and #362 (last) Mississippi Valley State, winning all 3 easily, so this will be their first real test as well. UConn takes a lot of 3s (28 per game) but overall shoot 33% from behind the line in early going. We know how dangerous Spencer can be, and Karaban and Newton both shoot over 35% from 3. 

It'll be a good measuring stick to see where this group stands. Clingan is about the closest thing we'll see to Zach Edey until we play PU. Big, a little more athletic than Edey, and soft touch around the rim. Not an outside threat at all.

Good team. They share the ball (2:1 assist to TO ratio as a team), and are a good rebounding team.

The winner gets the winner of the Texas/Louisville game immediately following.

Let's go get them! Go Hoosiers!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Hate to be negative, especially this early in the season, but my expectations are really, really low for this game. Hoping we can keep it somewhere between 10-15 and not get blown out. 

Biggest thing I'll be looking for, aside from XJ's health, is how/if Woodson shrinks the rotation at all against a good team. 

Were the first 5 games tinkering and seeing what guys have, or is this 10-man lineup how we're going to play?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Hate to be negative, especially this early in the season, but my expectations are really, really low for this game. Hoping we can keep it somewhere between 10-15 and not get blown out. 

Biggest thing I'll be looking for, aside from XJ's health, is how/if Woodson shrinks the rotation at all against a good team. 

Were the first 5 games tinkering and seeing what guys have, or is this 10-man lineup how we're going to play?

If Walker and to a lesser extent Sparks see much floor time Sunday we are in trouble. I think they will have spots this year where each will shine but i think it will be in B1G play not against tip tier out of conference teams. 

CJ and Kaleb are going to have to pull up their big boy pants and do what they're supposed to without getting too hyped up and trying to do to much. Play solid D and make open shots when they come within the flow of the offense. If they, or any of the other bench guys try to force the action when they get in, it will get ugly quick. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know...They lost Sanogo and Hawkins, so they're kinda in unknown territory too...

Even if X plays, I don't expect him to be at 100%, so Cupps is gonna get a baptism by fire...I think the 2 really interesting matchups will be Mgbako/Castle, and Reneau/Karaban...

At best, we win...at worst, it's a learning experience as to the effort it takes to compete against good teams...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know...They lost Sanogo and Hawkins, so they're kinda in unknown territory too...

Even if X plays, I don't expect him to be at 100%, so Cupps is gonna get a baptism by fire...I think the 2 really interesting matchups will be Mgbako/Castle, and Reneau/Karaban...

At best, we win...at worst, it's a learning experience as to the effort it takes to compete against good teams...

All accurate of course, but UConn, despite their roster turnover, has certainly taking care of business to this point much better than IU has. 

Of course, college basketball is weird and you never know how kids are going to react in their first real test (meaning both teams). 

I just find very little to feel confident about with this IU team so far. 

• Like 2

only thing i like about this game is that they also haven't played anyone good.  that said, they have beaten those bad teams soundly and we have not.  i don't think that means all that much, but i know i'd rather be in the other boat!  the fact that they hit 3s at the rate that they do and we have looked bad defensively from 3 against bad teams scares me to death!  i am excited to see this game though.  i would be shocked with a win, but thrilled to even look good against them.  

• Like 1

IMO, this will set the tone for the rest of the season. Will we compete? Or rollover when the going gets tough, and it will.

A bunch of guys are going to have to really play hard for every second they're in the game. No possessions off.

I think X (if available) and Gallo will have to lead the way followed closely by Gabe & Malik. Ware is going to really have to assert himself. We need to play "our game", not theirs.

By all measures this is a home game for UConn. Our fans travel well, but this is a stone's throw from UConn.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Might you be implying CMW could be forced to play Mgbako at the 4? Love to see it!

I think he'll stick with the 2 bigs rotation. But yes, curious to see if he'd ever think about going smaller?

Doesn't have to be Mgbako necessarily, but instead of Walker/Sparks, how about we try lineups with some combination four of MM, Banks, Galloway, Cupps and Gunn with Reneau or Ware?

These guys need to earn it obviously, but I'd love to see some minutes with Banks and MM together with 2 guards and a big. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think this game will be brutal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DWB said:

IMO, this will set the tone for the rest of the season. Will we compete? Or rollover when the going gets tough, and it will.

A bunch of guys are going to have to really play hard for every second they're in the game. No possessions off.

I think X (if available) and Gallo will have to lead the way followed closely by Gabe & Malik. Ware is going to really have to assert himself. We need to play "our game", not theirs.

By all measures this is a home game for UConn. Our fans travel well, but this is a stone's throw from UConn.

i'm afraid you're right and afraid it will be a bad answer.  that said, it could always go like this - we could get blown out and then guys either have a reality check for how hard they need to play and how smart they need to play and we improve - or - Woodson could also have a reality check and make some changes and we improve.  i'm not super optimistic about any of this, but gonna hope for the best!

Highlights of Kel'el (noticeably skinnier) when his Oregon team played UConn in the Phil Knight Invitational last year...

I noticed they started Karaban on him...But he did have some time with Clingan on the floor...KW is much more athletic, but he'll be giving up 35+ Lbs...

It was Kel'el's best game during his tenure at Oregon...

So far, the two things that have impressed me about him the most are his hands, and his basketball IQ...Kid knows the game...Reneau talked about it in the postgame...

Edited by IUFLA

It would take a 180 about face for this to be a close game. Disciplined offense that works for good shots, and a team commitment to rebounding and defense. None of which has been displayed so far. 

My hope is they show up and play like they understand how to win. But if not, getting it handed to them on a big stage may open some eyes and help turn it around.

I know some see this as too negative. It's not. It's reality. One that will prevent them from making the big dance if it is not changed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i mean, we can hope this.  maybe it is true to some extent?  maybe they'll all step up.  

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this game.  Hurley is a really good coach.  UConn wins this one.  Too much experience and shooting.  We will struggle to match them.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I’m with you brother. Hopefully, our guys have been playing down to the level of comp as we’ve seen in the past but I think that’s being hopeful and not realistic.

They’ve (UConn) won their last 3 games by a minimum of 34 I think at quick glance. Not 100 on that. I do expect to be -20+ at the final buzzer.