Louisville Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Monday, November 20th 4:30 PM EST

Where: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

TV: ESPNU

Longtime Kentucky assistant Kenny Payne (2nd season 6-29) squares off with our Hoosiers in the "Kiss Your Sister" consolation game of the Empire Classic. Payne's squad is coming off of a heartbreaking last second loss to Texas. The Cardinals have beaten UMBC and Coppin State, while losing to Chattanooga and of course, Texas...

Screenshot_20231119-180503.thumb.png.781d53df68f54d31f508d970d56c963e.png

Texas boxscore

Screenshot_20231119-181639.thumb.png.5f377e8cab92f158220cedd3862218a8.png

The Cards are led by redshirt Sophomore guard Michael James (18 ppg 39% from 3) transfers 6'7 guard Tre White (USC 13 ppg 38% from 3) and 6'3 guard Skyy Clark (Illinois 11 ppg). 6'10 forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and 7'1 center Dennis Evans round out the starting 5.

Watched a bit of the Texas game, and Louisville looks long and very athletic. They gave #19 Texas all they could handle. James, their leading scorer coming in, was held to 2 points. 

Another good test for us. We need to get up off the deck and show something. Our senior backcourt needs to show some leadership and get some of these kids going in the right direction...

If we don't, it'll be a long trip back to Bloomington with a lot of soul searching involved... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Monday, November 21st 4:30 PM EST

Where: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

TV: ESPNU

Longtime Kentucky assistant Kenny Payne (2nd season 6-29) squares off with our Hoosiers in the "Kiss Your Sister" consolation game of the Empire Classic. Payne's squad is coming off of a heartbreaking last second loss to Texas. The Cardinals have beaten UMBC and Coppin State, while losing to Chattanooga and of course, Texas...

Screenshot_20231119-180503.thumb.png.781d53df68f54d31f508d970d56c963e.png

Texas boxscore

Screenshot_20231119-181639.thumb.png.5f377e8cab92f158220cedd3862218a8.png

The Cards are led by redshirt Sophomore guard Michael James (18 ppg 39% from 3) transfers 6'7 guard Tre White (USC 13 ppg 38% from 3) and 6'3 guard Skyy Clark (Illinois 11 ppg). 6'10 forward Brandon Huntley-Hatfield and 7'1 center Dennis Evans round out the starting 5.

Watched a bit of the Texas game, and Louisville looks long and very athletic. They gave #19 Texas all they could handle. James, their leading scorer coming in, was held to 2 points. 

Another good test for us. We need to get up off the deck and show something. Our senior backcourt needs to show some leadership and get some of these kids going in the right direction...

If we don't, it'll be a long trip back to Bloomington with a lot of soul searching involved... 

Appreciate you doing this but starting to wonder, why bother? This board is so pessimistic and certain that this team is going down the toilet. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably because I put sports in its proper perspective and don't worry too much about the pessimists...

I know the Mike Woodson has forgotten more about the game of basketball than this board collectively... I know he knows these kids, and will do the right thing by them. I laugh when hear people say Woody ain't the guy. 

So, I continue to do what I do... It makes me happy... IU basketball in general makes me happy... And I'm never going to let the naysayers drive me off that 🙂

I for one, really appreciate the posts and your perspective as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Probably because I put sports in its proper perspective and don't worry too much about the pessimists...

I know the Mike Woodson has forgotten more about the game of basketball than this board collectively knows... I know he knows these kids, and will do the right thing by them. I laugh when hear people say Woody ain't the guy. 

So, I continue to do what I do... It makes me happy... IU basketball in general makes me happy... And I'm never going to let the naysayers drive me off that 🙂

Hey, I resemble that remark!

We know a good shooter when we see one. The game isn’t complicated.

075143D6-3B88-4D94-BFFA-008A29F951B8.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Appreciate you doing this but starting to wonder, why bother? This board is so pessimistic and certain that this team is going down the toilet. 

I’m not optimistic about tomorrow. I wouldn’t bet on IU. Doesn’t change my life though and I’ll still watch. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And then I’ll still complain about how bad we are. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

We know a good shooter when we see one. The game isn’t complicated.

075143D6-3B88-4D94-BFFA-008A29F951B8.gif

We have kids who can shoot, their confidence isn't what it should be...

I'm more worried about our senior guards leading this team...

If Quinn Buckner saw the half-hearted effort Kel'el gave on that FT block out, he would have lit Ware up... 

Not to single out Kel'el, but that was just one example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We have kids who can shoot, their confidence isn't what it should be...

I'm more worried about our senior guards leading this team...

If Quinn Buckner saw the half-hearted effort Kel'el gave on that FT block out, he would have lit Ware up... 

Not to single out Kel'el, but that was just one example.

It’s hard to get in someone’s grill when you’re also playing like crap in the hustle stats. XJ and Gallo combined for 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I know the Mike Woodson has forgotten more about the game of basketball than this board collectively knows... I know he knows these kids, and will do the right thing by them. I laugh when hear people say Woody ain't the guy. 

Good. I appreciate your perspective nd what you do. 

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It’s hard to get in someone’s grill when you’re also playing like crap in the hustle stats. XJ and Gallo combined for 1 rebound, 1 assist and 1 steal

And that's part of it... But you're their leaders... Their Captains, and you're not setting the example and correcting mistakes. Christ, even as bad as Jay Williams was today he pointed that out...said if he or one of his Duke teammates had seen a guy standing up on defense like Mac does, they would have corrected it right then and there

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

Louisville looked good today, but they also lost to Kentucky Wesleyan in an exhibition game.  Need X and Reneau to stay out of foul trouble.  Get a victory and get some positive momentum going.   Really need to win this one and the next two (Harvard and Maryland at home) because the next three after that will be tough at Michigan, Auburn on a neutral court, and Kansas at home.  This team has enough talent despite being a poorly constructed roster.  Just need to stay healthy and find a way to get Mgbako acclimated to the college game sooner than later or hope that Gunn continues to build on his play from tonight, but ideally both. Just need somebody to start hitting and get this team more than 3 made threes a game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Louisville looked good today, but they also lost to Kentucky Wesleyan in an exhibition game.  Need X and Reneau to stay out of foul trouble.  Get a victory and get some positive momentum going.   Really need to win this one and the next two (Harvard and Maryland at home) because the next three after that will be tough at Michigan, Auburn on a neutral court, and Kansas at home.  This team has enough talent despite being a poorly constructed roster.  Just need to stay healthy and find a way to get Mgbako acclimated to the college game sooner than later or hope that Gunn continues to build on his play from tonight, but ideally both. Just need somebody to start hitting and get this team more than 3 made threes a game.

I agree, but have two very different perspectives on fouls for these guys.

This isn't XJ's first rodeo. He is the tip of the spear and needs to be in the full game (and not on the bench at the end like CMW said post game). He absolutely should already know how to control both his emotions and tempo in year 6. Just has to -- he's way to important to not understand how critical handling those things are.

For Reneau, he gets a just a little more leeway, but he too needs to realize that his proficiency to foul will not be masked by Trayce and Race this year. There is no coverup (sorry Sparks, Banks), so he has got to learn how valuable he is and smart he needs to be to remain in the game. But it also takes going through frustrations like today for that lesson to really sink in.

So, optimistically, they are able to learn from these experiences.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's not being pessimistic to say we have played poorly to start the season.  That's being factual.  

• Getting beat 44-22 on the boards today is a fact.
  • Being outscored by 90 points from the 3 point-line after 4 games is a fact.
  • Mgbako, Cupps, Walker, Gunn, and Sparks all shooting below 37% from the field for the season is a fact.
  • 6 assists against 12 turnovers in today's game is a fact.

I challenge anyone on the board who claims to be a bigger IU fan than I am.  The amount of time I spend on here proves what this program means to me. But, the facts are the team is playing poorly right now.  I would be hypocritical to claim otherwise if I'm gushing praise and excitement when things are going great.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's not being pessimistic to say we have played poorly to start the season.  That's being factual.  

• Getting beat 44-22 on the boards today is a fact.
  • Being outscored by 90 points from the 3 point-line after 4 games is a fact.
  • Mgbako, Cupps, Walker, Gunn, and Sparks all shooting below 37% from the field for the season is a fact.
  • 6 assists against 12 turnovers in today's game is a fact.

I challenge anyone on the board who claims to be a bigger IU fan than I am.  The amount of time I spend on here proves what this program means to me. But, the facts are the team is playing poorly right now.  I would be hypocritical to claim otherwise if I'm gushing praise and excitement when things are going great.

Great post.

I would add that I think everyone that is concerned with the product on the floor also knows it’s a long season and wants to see improvement.

We had a thread about apathy about three years ago, I don’t see that or that attitude from our fans at this point. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Great post.

I would add that I think everyone that is concerned with the product on the floor also knows it’s a long season and wants to see improvement.

We had a thread about apathy about three years ago, I don’t see that or that attitude from our fans at this point. 

Go over to Peegs alot have given up on Woody.Saying he is not the man for the job.Rinse and repeat.Six coaches in 23 years