Louisville Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It's not being pessimistic to say we have played poorly to start the season.  That's being factual.  

• Getting beat 44-22 on the boards today is a fact.
  • Being outscored by 90 points from the 3 point-line after 4 games is a fact.
  • Mgbako, Cupps, Walker, Gunn, and Sparks all shooting below 37% from the field for the season is a fact.
  • 6 assists against 12 turnovers in today's game is a fact.

I challenge anyone on the board who claims to be a bigger IU fan than I am.  The amount of time I spend on here proves what this program means to me. But, the facts are the team is playing poorly right now.  I would be hypocritical to claim otherwise if I'm gushing praise and excitement when things are going great.

i never understand when people say you aren't a real fan or whatever just because you aren't always positive or optimistic.  it's okay to criticize, question, complain and still cheer for them the next game and hope for the best, right?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Probably because I put sports in its proper perspective and don't worry too much about the pessimists...

I know that Mike Woodson has forgotten more about the game of basketball than this board collectively knows... I know he knows these kids, and will do the right thing by them. I laugh when hear people say Woody ain't the guy. 

So, I continue to do what I do... It makes me happy... IU basketball in general makes me happy... And I'm never going to let the naysayers drive me off that 🙂

Ay... you're ok, i guess...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That feels premature. 

Agreed…we don’t need to be starting that 4 games in. I know I’ve expressed my frustrations during these first few games but that’s very premature and not necessary. Yes, we have some serious issues in the early season…but I’m hopeful Woodson gets it figured out. 

For today…Get focused, play hard and beat the hell out of Louisville today! 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It's not being pessimistic to say we have played poorly to start the season.  That's being factual.  

• Getting beat 44-22 on the boards today is a fact.
  • Being outscored by 90 points from the 3 point-line after 4 games is a fact.
  • Mgbako, Cupps, Walker, Gunn, and Sparks all shooting below 37% from the field for the season is a fact.
  • 6 assists against 12 turnovers in today's game is a fact.

I challenge anyone on the board who claims to be a bigger IU fan than I am.  The amount of time I spend on here proves what this program means to me. But, the facts are the team is playing poorly right now.  I would be hypocritical to claim otherwise if I'm gushing praise and excitement when things are going great.

No, but it is pessimistic, at least to me, to bury this team 4 games into the season...You've tried your damndest to paint a picture of gloom and doom with the numbers thread, and chastise anyone who says it takes time for all of the "new faces" to become a team... And that's fine...you being you...

Last year, it took y'all til the first Penn State game. You yourself stated unequivocally that this team wouldn't finish over .500...

Fortunately, Woody and the kids didn't listen and came back, beat Illinois, Michigan, and Purdue twice each, finished 2nd in the Big 10, and secured a 4 seed in the tournament...And everybody reveled in that success...

As for the "bigger IU fan than I am" no one questioned your fandom...It's not a contest, lest I'm sure @bluegrassIU would hand out participation awards :) 

But I'm also not going to let the pessimists sway how I look at a particular season...It's easy from the comfort of our armchairs to criticize Woody and the kids...I'm not saying they are above being critiqued...But saying that the rest of the season is going to suck based on subpar results versus lesser opponents and losing to the defending National Champions and 5th ranked team in the country 4 games into the season shows no faith whatsoever in Woody (who I think has earned some leeway there) and the kids...It's a process of growing and getting better over time...And I have faith that we will...

Without faith we would have never had the 54 Milan team, the 61 Pirates, the Miracle Mets, the 69 Jets, 83 NC State, 85 Villanova, or Buster Douglass...That's what makes sports great...Faith, even to a much lesser extent than those, can be rewarded...Just like IU last year...

Again, no one questioned whether you were a fan or not...But by the same token those of us that have faith aren't idiots or "don't know basketball" as it was put to me at one time...We just believe...the best post I've ever seen on this forum was from @Seeking6 in that Penn State post game thread...He said we were going to beat Wisconsin in the next game, win at Illinois after that, Sparty, Minnesota, OSU (he did miss on the Maryland away game) and had us 7-4 when we played Purdue the first time...and he was laughed at...Well, he who laughs last...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i never understand when people say you aren't a real fan or whatever just because you aren't always positive or optimistic.  it's okay to criticize, question, complain and still cheer for them the next game and hope for the best, right?

No one questioned @5fouls fandom, that's simply you reading into it what you want...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You've tried your damndest to paint a picture of gloom and doom with the numbers thread,

You done pissed me off with that jab.

I'm a numbers guy.  Always have been.  Why didn't you say 'Thanks Fouls' every time I posted a national leaderboard that had TJD at, or near the top of the rankings last season.

I post what the numbers show.  And, it's worth mentioning to you that I spent about 15 minutes Friday evening searching for a stat where Ware was on a National leaderboard.  Couldn't find one.  There wasn't one.  But, you didn't know that because you assume I was being 'pessimistic'.   Even then, I did find a Big Ten ranking that had Ware near the top.  Posted it.  Crickets.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You done pissed me off with that jab.

I'm a numbers guy.  Always have been.  Why didn't you say 'Thanks Fouls' every time I posted a national leaderboard that had TJD at, or near the top of the rankings last season.

I post what the numbers show.  And, it's worth mentioning to you that I spent about 15 minutes Friday evening searching for a stat where Ware was on a National leaderboard.  Couldn't find one.  There wasn't one.  But, you didn't know that because you assume I was being 'pessimistic'.   Even then, I did find a Big Ten ranking that had Ware near the top.  Posted it.  Crickets.

"Statistics are like bikinis...they show a lot, but not everything."

I don't know how else to take the numbers you presented...As i looked through it, I really didn't see much positive...

It's 4 games into the season...Relax...

Just now, IUFLA said:

"Statistics are like bikinis...they show a lot, but not everything."

I don't know how else to take the numbers you presented...As i looked through it, I really didn't see much positive...

It's 4 games into the season...Relax...

There's a reason you didn't see much positive in the numbers. This team has been pretty bad to start the season. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

There's a reason you didn't see much positive in the numbers. This team has been pretty bad to start the season. 

Hey, we're 3-1...

Back when I played baseball, if I hit 2 duck snorts for hits in 4 at bats, my line still showed 2-4...And if you asked me, they were laser lines drives...When the committee looks at the end of the year, they'll see 3 wins...

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, we're 3-1...

Back when I played baseball, if I hit 2 duck snorts for hits in 4 at bats, my line still showed 2-4...And if you asked me, they were laser lines drives...When the committee looks at the end of the year, they'll see 3 wins...

Not really, because the committee doesn't go off straight up record, they go off of many of the different efficiency metrics (kenpom, the NCAA Quad thing, and more). 

Who you beat, by how much and how you looked matters. Margin of defeat/victory matters, etc., etc. We've already dropped nearly 30 spots in Kenpom because the analytics see through those 3 concerning wins. 

I'd guess your baseball coach would have reacted differently to a 1-1 record if you beat the worst team in your league in 10 innings abd lost to another team by 6 runs, as opposed to beating the worst team by 6 runs and losing to a team above you in the standings in 10 innings. 

• Like 4

Just now, BGleas said:

Who you beat, by how much and how you looked matters.

Minimally...

image.thumb.png.819aa97d39a8c0a762c7608c00ea55f3.png

That's scoring margin down there at the bottom...and it's capped at 10...

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Sometimes the bikini is hiding warts. 

Let me know the beaches you go to so I can avoid them :) 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not really, because the committee doesn't go off straight up record, they go off of many of the different efficiency metrics (kenpom, the NCAA Quad thing, and more). 

IU is 13th out of 14th in the conference in the KenPom ratings.  Only Minnesota is worse.  Maybe IU will get better, but so will at least half, if not more. of those other Big Ten teams.  

UC Irvine is 3-1, just like IU.  But, they aren't going to the Big Dance without winning their conference tournament.  I think everyone on the board should understand that.  But, here's something about UC Irvine not everyone may know.  They are currently ranked ahead of IU in KenPom.  

Just now, IUFLA said:

Minimally...

image.thumb.png.819aa97d39a8c0a762c7608c00ea55f3.png

That's scoring margin down there at the bottom...and it's capped at 10...

Let me know the beaches you go to so I can avoid them :) 

I think you're proving my point. They look much, much deeper than just the record. 

Beating one of the worst teams in D1 (Army) by less than 10 points at home isn't a feather in the cap or anything thst helps come selection Sunday. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think you're proving my point. They look much, much deeper than just the record. 

Beating one of the worst teams in D1 (Army) by less than 10 points at home isn't a feather in the cap or anything thst helps come selection Sunday. 

But if you read the tool, it doesn't matter if we won by 20 or more...it's capped at 10...

Today seems like a good day to check out. Go cook dinner for 80 retired Vets for an early Thanksgiving dinner. You guys have fun and play nice but I'll just say this.

We have 2 years worth of data with our own eyes showing that each year we've improved from start of season to the end under Coach Woodson. There is no way I'm going down any rabbit hole of panic until the earliest late January. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

But if you read the tool, it doesn't matter if we won by 20 or more...it's capped at 10...

Yeah and we haven't won by 10 against subpar opponents at home. You're also focusing on in specific metric, the overall point was Selection Sunday goes much deeper than just overall record. 

• Like 1