Louisville Post Game Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The only meaningful data I can post is that in 4 of the first 5 games we have scored more points than our opponents.

Been that way since they were poking the ball out of peach baskets with a stick...

I use to marvel at some of the old MSU teams (the greasiness of their coach not withstanding) that would pull you down into the mud and beat on you til you said "uncle."

Maybe that's the team we have to be for a while, but I think once our freshmen and sophomores settle down, and our senior leaders understand their roles, the ugly duckling might just turn into a beautiful swan... 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Thanks,

I'm trying to avoid game threads when possible this season.  Don't find them to be productive and I enjoy the games more when I'm just watching.

Same here. I'll scroll through post game but I find myself getting distracted if I'm in the game thread. 

I did comment yesterday because I was sick of ESPN and their Dan Hurley UCONN worship. When they went split screen I felt the need to vent. I guess they're the new duke. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

Few things. 
Mgbako needs a lot of work, but I will say he looked more comfortable than I’ve seen all year. Had a couple nice looks to teammates and was hustling. 
Sparks and Banks hustle on the boards were very noticeable to me. They don’t get every one, but they were in the mix and had some deflections out to other people. Banks also for not being very quick had some good defensive plays too. 
We DESPERATELY need someone to make some outside shots. Holy crap. 
Zone was a game changer and us knowing what we were doing getting the ball down low was nice to see late. It wasn’t running around until the last second setting 3 screens and weaving. It was come down set a screen, get the mismatch and go inside. It worked. 
I don’t feel like we’re a “good” team yet, but I think this is the most we’ve looked like that so far this year. 
walker played a lot better tonight, entire bench helped out. 
Lastly, UConn is VERY good. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Going to post this here, but may warrant it's own thread

I think CJ Gunn would benefit from trying to be a scorer, not a shooter.  He clearly has very good athleticism and decent instincts.

Drives to the basket, fast break buckets, getting to the line.  I would like to see him do more of those types of things, rather than pulling up from 3 or taking a mid-range jumper.

I think he could excel with that type of approach.  Could be a microwave off the bench.

I think he could benefit from an extended mentoring by Calbert. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

I think CJ Gunn would benefit from trying to be a scorer, not a shooter.  He clearly has very good athleticism and decent instincts.

Drives to the basket, fast break buckets, getting to the line.  I would like to see him do more of those types of things, rather than pulling up from 3 or taking a mid-range jumper.

I think he could excel with that type of approach.  Could be a microwave off the bench.

I agree, and I think it could make his shot start to come along quicker as well. I know some think otherwise and no doubt it’s been rough, but CJ is a good shooter, it’ll come. I really think if he puts it all together his ceiling is a high one.

• Like 2

Just getting caught up. Was watching on the phone. 56-51 I was like ok....this ain't good but glad to hear our staff make the move necessary to win at closing time. To finish the game on 23-8 or whatever that means our staff and players did what was necessary.

Will have to watch later but otherwise. Good win and we'll find out down the road the quality of it but right now we can enjoy the ride home and the holidays. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IndyHoosier said:

Yes, and his decision to listen to someone else, someone with apparently a better eye than his for today’s game, is what won the game. Thankfully he deferred to that someone, which allowed the team to win. 

So, if he defers to someone in the future and we lose the game, does he get a pass?  :coffee:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't miss anything... "At the end of the day, Mile Woodson makes the decisions." 

I would expect anyone who played high level varsity basketball to have experience with 2-3 zone. It really isn't that difficult.  The hardest position is the guy in the middle on the baseline. Has to keep moving to avoid a lane violation. That's how I was taught anyway. 

Probably the easiest defense to wing it.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He brought a lot of energy off the bench during the first half. His motor is excellent and that energy is contagious. Gunn many times tonight was the first player down the court on both defense and offense. I think you're correct that if he begins looking to become a scorer defenders will have to respect his length and athleticism giving him more wide open looks. 

So had to work late and just finished watching the game. I've been kinda hard on Sparks and mostly Walker and I gota give them both a bunch of credit for how they played today!  They both played their butts off today and along with the zone we pulled out our @$$ were a huge reason we won. I still dont want Walker shooting outside of 8ft but the rest of what hr did today i believe is where he will shine. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I honestly wouldn't mind him or Banks starting at that 3 spot in the next game.  Maybe giving Mbako a chance to watch the game for a bit and then come in would help him for a few games.  At least if or until he gets it going.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That is spot on. Shot fake and drive. Back cut. take the occasional open jumper

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Been that way since they were poking the ball out of peach baskets with a stick...

I use to marvel at some of the old MSU teams (the greasiness of their coach not withstanding) that would pull you down into the mud and beat on you til you said "uncle."

Maybe that's the team we have to be for a while, but I think once our freshmen and sophomores settle down, and our senior leaders understand their roles, the ugly duckling might just turn into a beautiful swan... 

You talking about Jud Heathcote, Larry would have beat them without that thumb injury, or Tom Grosso?