Louisville Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

It hit him in the middle fingers, completely outstretched and on a dead sprint. Even if he coulda caught it clean he wasnt in a position to do anything with it. 

Agree to disagree, all he had to do once he caught it was lay it in.

Hitting a guy in the hands running full speed in stride for an immediate layup or dunk sounds like an excellent pass. 

Edited by KoB2011

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Going to post this here, but may warrant it's own thread

I think CJ Gunn would benefit from trying to be a scorer, not a shooter.  He clearly has very good athleticism and decent instincts.

Drives to the basket, fast break buckets, getting to the line.  I would like to see him do more of those types of things, rather than pulling up from 3 or taking a mid-range jumper.

I think he could excel with that type of approach.  Could be a microwave off the bench.

Love it! Come in and be a annoying pest defensively and then offensively focus on slashing, getting out in transition, getting to the line and seeing the ball go through the net and then work your way out from there. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree, all he had to do once he caught it was lay it in.

Hitting a guy in the hands running full speed in stride for an immediate layup or dunk sounds like an excellent pass. 

It was a very difficult pass to handle. I absolutely beleive that was more of an XJ turnover than a CJ issue..

Doesn't matter, it was an IU turnover at a bad time. Buit that was far from an easy pass to handle.

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First, phenomenal call by Woodson to go zone. That completely changed the game. It doesn't matter whose idea it was, the head coach has to sign off. If Woodson didn't want to make the switch to zone we wouldn't have gone zone. Kudos to Woodson for making the change and also for listening to his staff/team.

A big reason we won is because Woodson changed. He did things a bit differently, a couple of the things many people have been asking for.

He didn't just keep banging his head against a wall hoping things would get better. First set out of the gate we went with a horns set which I haven't seen us do yet, and we did it throughout the game. We also went with a 4-out/1-in as opposed to 2 bigs in the paint together. While not a drastic, massive improvement. it did get our guards and wings into the lane to create a bit more and it gave Reneau and Ware a bit more room. 

Then of course the zone change. 

Now of course, some guys also just flat-out stepped up and improved. Walker and Sparks in particular. I've always liked Banks and hoped he would figure things out. He's not completely there yet, but he was really good defensively and on the boards tonight. Really happy for Banks and hoping he can find where he fits offensively as well. 

I think Banks length and athleticism not only helped in the zone, but also helped on the boards. 

Really great job by Woodson and the staff, as well as several players that stepped up. Hopefully we continue to improve and continue to use these different sets. 

Isn't this really what we have been saying from the start. Guys have to figure out what their role is and how they can best help the team. With this many new players, even the returnees or looking at different roles. The coaching staff is also trying to figure to best utilize what we have. We all want to see a well oiled machine, but it's going to take some time. I loved seeing CMW switch things up a bit. Flexibility is our friend, especially early. This is not like the early Crean years. This team has the talent to compete. The kids want to be good. Let's try to give them the chance to be good without being too negative towards them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Isn't this really what we have been saying from the start. Guys have to figure out what their role is and how they can best help the team. With this many new players, even the returnees or looking at different roles. The coaching staff is also trying to figure to best utilize what we have. We all want to see a well oiled machine, but it's going to take some time. I loved seeing CMW switch things up a bit. Flexibility is our friend, especially early. This is not like the early Crean years. This team has the talent to compete. The kids want to be good. Let's try to give them the chance to be good without being too negative towards them.

Absolutely! We've all been saying players need to find their role, but also Woodson needed to do some things to put guys in better positions to be successful. 

At the same time, we just squeaked by a mediocre at best team. So still a lot more improvement needed on a variety of fronts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Don’t be bringing negativity into this thread 😂. Our problems were all solved tonight with a win over a bad Louisville team. You should be ecstatic! 

In all seriousness, the decision to go zone was a great decision, as Louisville is almost as bad as us from 3. Saw some positives from guys off the bench that we NEED contributions from. Still can’t shoot, Mgbako has a lot of work to do, and plenty other shortcomings, but glad we got the win. Kids could have quit with 8 minutes to go and didn’t. 

Oh, props to Walker. Been extremely tough on him, but he had a solid game. As did Banks and Sparks. Big time energy off the bench. 

I didn’t get to watch the end of the game. I recorded it but of course it ran long and I forgot to record the next show afterwards so my recording ended. What zone did they go to? Anyone think they’ll now consider going to this more often since they suck at the other defense? 

I was dead wrong thinking we’d lose this game, based on some streaks of lousy shooting and what looked to me like confused seniors.  Now, feeling great with another W, improved rebounding and passing.  Banks was my MVP, especially for hustling and rebounding.  Also, nice play from Gunn , Walker and Sparks. Banks and  Walker each matched or beat Wares on RBs. Thats huge.  On the zone discussion, these players already know how to execute it and it isn’t hard to switch into it periodically.  To me, it was great they did it.  BUT, it doesn’t take a genius or a commitee of assistants to switch up, and create temporary/ or more confusion for a D.  I hope it isn’t the last time Woody uses it.     Congrats Hoosiers.