Potential HC Candidates

KDB

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is there a chance that they are trying to get Frye to come in as an assistant, maybe OC

Yes, Dolson has discussed that but who knows if it would happen. The new coach would have to make the hire and they’d have to give him some pretty good money.

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Yes, Dolson has discussed that but who knows if it would happen. The new coach would have to make the hire and they’d have to give him some pretty good money.

So the smoke screen is they are talking to Frye but as the OC because they already have a HC hired and he wants Frye? Let's say it's true, who is this head coach that wants Frye as their OC? Or who is Frye "conceding" the HC job to to accept that role? This all seems far fetched. And let's say Frye is the HC (and let's not pretend he and ARE weren't the first names suggested weeks ago on the other site ). Why would this be so tight lipped? It's not like he would reconsider or demand some sort of crazy contract. And the idea that this is why players are hitting the portal makes little sense either. If players knew it would 100% be leaked. They would have zero reason not to tell people. Frye could end up being the hire, but anyone saying he's already been hired seems to be guessing (or being duped) based on previous "rumors" (possibly a red herring like Gruden) suggested weeks ago on the other site,Oct 23rd to be exact: So far the two names I have heard are ARE and Justin Frye.  I was told the negotiations had started. Those two names were just the first two names mentioned since were (sic) early in the process. I think both could be had for a fairly cheap price. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

So the smoke screen is they are talking to Frye but as the OC because they already have a HC hired and he wants Frye? Let's say it's true, who is this head coach that wants Frye as their OC? Or who is Frye "conceding" the HC job to to accept that role? This all seems far fetched. And let's say Frye is the HC (and let's not pretend he and ARE weren't the first names suggested weeks ago on the other site ). Why would this be so tight lipped? It's not like he would reconsider or demand some sort of crazy contract. And the idea that this is why players are hitting the portal makes little sense either. If players knew it would 100% be leaked. They would have zero reason not to tell people. Frye could end up being the hire, but anyone saying he's already been hired seems to be guessing (or being duped) based on previous "rumors" (possibly a red herring like Gruden) suggested weeks ago on the other site,Oct 23rd to be exact: So far the two names I have heard are ARE and Justin Frye.  I was told the negotiations had started. Those two names were just the first two names mentioned since were (sic) early in the process. I think both could be had for a fairly cheap price. 

I think there’s multiple smoke screens because lots of people are hearing different names 

2 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

Honestly. I never thought the Frye news made any sense. Why pay 15.5 million to get rid of Allen and make another unproven hire? Then again, when has anything IU football ever made sense? Lol

One thing I know now. People don’t have to hear someone telling them  to love each other. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I think there’s multiple smoke screens because lots of people are hearing different names 

I have thought all along that Dolson and some other boosters really want ARE,.....BUT it's contingent on building an impressive staff of assistants to surround him. I also think they definitely want Frye in the fold and would be a big piece of the puzzle to compliment ARE. JMO. I checked back in with my old IU room mate who's worked in IU athletics for years. He still says his source thinks it's ARE..... Just passing along what's been shared with me. We will know soon enough how true the rumors are.

Edited by Artesian_86
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

DeBoer at Fresno St.  not a big program but propelled him to Washington and success there.  Not saying it would be easy but 4-5 years, really?!

The state of Washington's program was light years ahead of IU. Whoever takes this job is starting at rock bottom in what is becoming an incredibly difficult conference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Duke won’t because their head coach has been hired by Texas A & M

That's exacrly my point. IU needs someone who can build the foundation for a program with lasting success, not just a flash in the pan who might string together a strong season or two before jumping ship, setting the program back to square one.

Edited by IUProfessor

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

The state of Washington's program was light years ahead of IU. Whoever takes this job is starting at rock bottom in what is becoming an incredibly difficult conference. 

....I wouldn't say rock bottom. I would argue the BIGTEN is the best conference in the nation. I would say that given the right amount of money, most coaches would love to be in the BIGTEN. I want one who's gonna come in and make some noise right away.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I have thought all along that Dolson and some other boosters really want ARE,.....BUT it's contingent on building an impressive staff of assistants to surround him. I also think they definitely want Frye in the fold and would be a big piece of the puzzle to compliment ARE. JMO. I checked back in with my old IU room mate who's worked in IU athletics for years. He still says his source thinks it's ARE..... Just passing along what's been shared with me. We will know soon enough how true the rumors are.

That's what I'm saying. There are people that are consistently in the know that seem to think different things. Some think it's Candle, some say ARE, some say Frye, and there's some that think it's another person altogether. Shoot someone told me last night that Dolson is down to 3 active college HC's and 2 of them would be inspiring and the other not so much. My point is there's a lot flying around right now and it's hard to say what is legit. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

That's exacrly my point. IU needs someone who can build the foundation for a program with lasting success, not just a flash in the pan who might string together a strong season or two before jumping ship, setting the program back to square one.

This is why Dolson has to get this hire right. It could be his best decision yet. He knows he's behind many other schools as far as facilities and salaries. If he can actually make a great hire and somehow right this ship, why can't IU have the sustained success of other schools. I'm not talking about the Ohio St.'s or Michigans, but teams who regularly attend bowls and are often ranked in the top 25. There's zero reason why we can't be one of those teams. It all starts with Dolson, Indiana University and the boosters. We HAVE to spend some money on this coach. I really think that is one of their main objectives. JMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Honestly, I don't think there are any 'smoke screens'. I think there are a bunch of people just throwing names out there that don't really know anything, and then people like us run with it. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, I don't think there are any 'smoke screens'. I think there are a bunch of people just throwing names out there that don't really know anything, and then people like us run with it. 

Honestly there's a lot of truth to that too. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....I wouldn't say rock bottom. I would argue the BIGTEN is the best conference in the nation. I would say that given the right amount of money, most coaches would love to be in the BIGTEN. I want one who's gonna come in and make some noise right away.

I meant rock bottom in the B1G. I get that many here are viewing things through crimson-colored glasses, but outside of IU most would view this as one of the two worst jobs in the B1G, and probably bottom 5 or so in the P5.

IU's home recruiting base isn't particularly fertile, and we're third in the in-state FB pecking order. Meanwhile, we're surrounded on two sides by the two winningest programs of all time, plus other P5 schools like Cincinnati and Michigan State that have made it to the CFP in the last ten years.

This is an impossibly hard turnaround, and it's going to take someone that isn't necessarily splashy, but has the know-how and commitment to build a lasting program from the bottom up.

I doubt that names like Barry Alvarez, Kirk Ferentz, or Mark Dantonio won the press conference back in the day, but that's the type of hire IU desperately needs to make this time around.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

We need the right coach but NIL needs addressed with the coach and hopefully a big financial plan into football facilities.  

We have no idea what our NIL money looks Iike.  I wish I knew our budget versus competitors.  A lot of the big donors may be basketball centric.  But if our organizers can get the donor class on board for bigger football NIL packages, that would be mandatory.  The pitch needs to be that this is existential for not just football but critical indirectly for basketball.  If college sports gets reorganized through football IU could easily be left by the side of the road.  Then IU basketball will also take that hit.  And we don’t want to be a speciality sports program like Georgetown basketball.  That’s not who we are.  Helping football helps basketball and the school.   The AD job at IU is serious business right now.  Money begets more money.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We need the right coach but NIL needs addressed with the coach and hopefully a big financial plan into football facilities.  

We have no idea what our NIL money looks Iike.  I wish I knew our budget versus competitors.  A lot of the big donors may be basketball centric.  But if our organizers can get the donor class on board for bigger football NIL packages, that would be mandatory.  The pitch needs to be that this is existential for not just football but critical indirectly for basketball.  If college sports gets reorganized through football IU could easily be left by the side of the road.  Then IU basketball will also take that hit.  And we don’t want to be a speciality sports program like Georgetown basketball.  That’s not who we are.  Helping football helps basketball and the school.   The AD job at IU is serious business right now.  Money begets more money.  

It's gross how long they ignored it. 

• Like 2

I'll just say this...

For the "must have head coaching experience" crowd, the only name that made me sit up and take notice is Tom Herman... He's built a good program (Houston) and been at a school (Texas) that does by any measure compare to Ohio State and Michigan...

The other names I've heard are lateral moves for us in my opinion...

If Herman won't come, then you almost have to take a chance with ARE or one of the up and coming assistants from a Big 10/Big 12/SEC school...

Herman as HC and Frye as OC is at the top of my personal Christmas list... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's gross how long they ignored it. 

While we wait on coaching news, aside from NIL, one good thing is we’ve gone pretty heavy into capital projects for a lot of sports already.  But with all that work done already with building projects mostly behind us now, maybe we can go hard onto football facilities now.  It should be the priority.  

Recruits want to see that they will be developed to maximize potential (maybe pro), get paid, and be put into a posh environment that they can enjoy and help them succeed.   It’s not brain surgery but we cannot put bandaids on this stuff.  All of this has to be fixed or else what are we talking about?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll just say this...

For the "must have head coaching experience" crowd, the only name that made me sit up and take notice is Tom Herman... He's built a good program (Houston) and been at a school (Texas) that does by any measure compare to Ohio State and Michigan...

The other names I've heard are lateral moves for us in my opinion...

If Herman won't come, then you almost have to take a chance with ARE or one of the up and coming assistants from a Big 10/Big 12/SEC school...

Herman as HC and Frye as OC is at the top of my personal Christmas list... 

Assuming what some of the insiders said about Fitzgerald no longer being considered due to president veto, Tom Herman is now my number 1 pick. I could definitely get on board with him bringing Frye on as OC.

I could get behind a Candle hire, but would definitely prefer Herman.

• Like 3