Curt Cignetti Hired as Indiana Head Coach

KDB

I was just watching his interview on B1G Today from Lucas Oil. They were talking about the drive between Bloomington and Indianapolis and he said something like that he had to find his way up to Indy because he’ll be there next year to play in the B1G championship game. Haha. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's about time 

I'm not saying she's Mitch but will echo what he said because she said the same. There is no reason to have an adversarial relationship from academia to athletics....and specifically football and how many programs (both sports and academics) that it funds. 

We have a lady that gets it. Better than the 3-4 previous Presidents.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

I like that he doesn't focus on stars given by people who don't watch as much video but person asking question should have rephrased the question to asking how he would overcome the talent disparity.

I’m not a football coach like @btownqb and others so I’m not claiming expertise as a coach.  But after watching football for over 45 years, I agree with every word out his mouth about coaching.  Player development.  Giving them a mindset.   

How much will he win?   I’m not claiming I have any idea but I will say I agree with how he’s approaching it.  He’s maybe a bit brash, but we need that.  

• Like 5

Our quickest route to success, and imo, the route that sustains that success the longest has nothing to do with 4+5 star recruits, it never has.  

The transfer portal, recognizing HS kids that fit what we need and can be developed, along with never being low on foot speed... is our path. Maybe we do grab some high end recruits, eventually, but thats not what is going to drive this thing. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kodos said:

I find myself daring to have hope for IU football. It's weird.

Same. Don't remember who said it earlier but what if we just found our diamond in the rough? Initial impressions suggest yes. Of course thanks to Yonkman and Cook we need to cover the other part which is NIL $. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Our quickest route to success, and imo, the route that sustains that success the longest has nothing to do with 4+5 star recruits, it never has.  

The transfer portal, recognizing HS kids that fit what we need and can be developed, along with never being low on foot speed... is our path. Maybe we do grab some high end recruits, eventually, but thats not what is going to drive this thing. 

I’d love to know how many 5* recruits vs 4* and 3* make up the NFL. To me it’s about player development and putting kids in the nfl. Schools are known for getting lineman drafted, or WRs, or defensive backs etc….we need to show success in placing kids in the nfl and that will bring higher level recruits in…and hopefully that combined with the development will lead to more wins. Shouldn’t matter if the kid starts as a 3* or 5*…nfl scouts just want to see the end result.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It was hilarious to me watching the press conference and seeing how he was answering the reporters questions...he definitely had a little Bob Knight vibe going on.

I was going to post something quite similar.  He's no-nonsense with a hint of hard-ass.  These are good traits for a football coach, IMO.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok Coach Cig, you obviously got a big raise. 

Let's upgrade the wardrobe game a bit. A least get that stuff tailored to fit. 

Beyond that, I am in!

Leaving close to the river as I do, tailored suits mean John Calipari, and formerly Rick Pitino.  No thanks.  I'll take rumpled and outdated.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2