Curt Cignetti Hired as Indiana Head Coach

KDB

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What are y'all's thoughts on him coaching the JMU bowl game?

No issue with it from me. It will give IU extra mentions during game. I'm sure he is going to be putting in his time with the portal/recruiting, so I'm not concerned. If IU were in a bowl game he would be doing both as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

No issue with it from me. It will give IU extra mentions during game. I'm sure he is going to be putting in his time with the portal/recruiting, so I'm not concerned. If IU were in a bowl game he would be doing both as well.

Agreed.  Someone noted here or the other site that he would be doing this anyways if he was already here a year and IU was going to a bowl.  We want him recruiting and planning for a bowl in the coming years so why not do it now.  I get why some will think it’s not ideal but this is the goal for the future.

• Like 2

CC @DC2345

Putting together some information now from a few different sources. Will continue to ask around, but for now, here's what I have been told:

#JMU offered Cignetti a seven-digit contract. It was still less than what Indiana offered, but it was a pretty decent offer, all things considered. He was staying in Harrisonburg. Turned Indiana down. 

Hence, his statement: "I had total intentions and plans to retire here."

Also, what he told Dave Riggert earlier this week: "I know what my plans are."  

Indiana came back and made the second offer. The Godfather offer. That's when Cignetti essentially had to say yes, which led to the Pete Thamel report around noon.

Edited by IU247
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, IU247 said:

CC @DC2345

I do know the first part is accurate. JMU offered him a contract that would’ve made him the highest paid coach in their conference and pay bump to his assistant coaching pool. That said I haven’t heard anything for sure on his contract terms or details yet but the first part being accurate does lend some credibility to this guys story. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Not a fan of this because he needs to be trying to o keep our players and recruiting other portal players

I disagree.  It shows a respect for the game of college football.  Not his fault that player free agency forced him to make the move to IU now instead of being allowed to wait 2 weeks.

The system is f'd-up.  Nothing wrong with what he is doing.  I applaud him.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree.  It shows a respect for the game of college football.  Not his fault that player free agency forced him to make the move to IU now instead of being allowed to wait 2 weeks.

He should have been like Mike Elko and just left without telling anyone and notified his players via Zoom :coffee:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

agree - I appreciate the commitment to his players.  I am sure he will be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Watching a podcast and I forgot that Deborer stayed at IU through the bowl game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU247 said:

CC @DC2345

I think this also/further proves IU's commitment to the program and a willingness to do what it takes to be competitive. I could see past administrations walking away after the first offer with a "welp, we tried" attitude. This time it was clear that they/we liked what C3 brought to the table, and were going to make sure they got him.

• Like 1

I don't think I have seen this fanbase so positively unified about anything, ever. Coach Cig is a program builder who has had fast results. I think he knows very well what to do as it relates to coaching in the bowl game, and everything else needed to build a winner.  I just wonder if IU's history of bad football mojo will finally give way to the power of Coach's skill and will.

• Like 2