Michigan Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Tuesday, December 5th 9 PM EST

Where: Crisler Arena, Ann Arbor, Michigan

TV: Peacock 

Mike Woodson leads our Hoosiers into their first true road game against Juwan Howard's 4-3 Wolverines (they do have a game today versus Oregon in Eugene 3:30 EST on FS1) . Michigan has beaten UNC Ashville (Kenpom #218), Youngstown State (#164), St Johns (#60), and Stanford (#96). They've lost to Long Beach State (#138), Memphis (#38), and Texas Tech (#52). 

image.png.7f5bc5504c02d41cbee477982c9439c2.png

image.png.d8b9638db016b21722687efcfc6cfea1.png

High volume 3 point team that makes them at a good (38%) clip. Good overall FG%, but middle of the pack in rebounding, assists, and turnovers. They've rolled out the same starting 5, all 7 games, with 5'11 PG Dug McDaniel (18 ppg) leading the way. 6'4 Alabama transfer (started at Texas Tech) Nimari Burnett joins him in the back court. 6'10 sophomore Tarris Reed starts at the 5, and 6'8 Tennessee  grad transfer Oliver Nkamhoua (18 ppg) and 6'7 senior Terrance Williams III man the forward spots. Not a real deep team with only 2 players (Will Tschetter and Seton Hall transfer Tray Jackson) logging double digit minutes off the bench 

Typical Michigan team in the 2 games I watched them. Can be great offensively, but very undisciplined. I saw Nimari Burnett go for 21 vs St Johns, then all but get shut out (2 points) vs Texas Tech. McDaniel is a handful. Very quick, and finishes well at the rim. A better version of Harvard's Malik Mack. Not a great defensive team.

It'll be tough for our young players to get a road win here, but I do think we're overall a better team. I have a feeling Tarris Reed will struggle guarding Kel'el, and Nkamhoua will have his hands full with Malik. It'd be nice to have XJ back to guard McDaniel, but if not, I'm guessing that assignment will go to Gabe, with Trey covering Burnett. Mac has shown signs of improvement, and hopefully he can keep the shooting touch he's had lately on the road.

Another great test for our young team. As I said, Michigan will be coming off a west coast trip, with basically one day to prepare. If we play like we did for the first 30 minutes against Maryland for a FULL game, I think we can pull this off. Not sure if Juwan is back all the way, or if we'll be facing Juphil Howtelli :) but either way, I think we have a better coach...

GO HOOSIERS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Never know what to expect with Howard's teams. I'm sure they have athletes, probably a couple of scorers but typically they aren't the most disciplined. First true road test for the guys but if we play/execute like we did last night in first half plus we should be fine. Road game or not.

Hope we get X back for this stretch of at Michigan, Auburn, Kanas...or maybe since we only have 3 games in the next what 17 days they are just resting him?

• Like 1

Road games are always tough in Big Ten...especially first one. I would feel better about this one if X were healthy and playing well. I have not watched UM play at all this year, so no real feel for this game. I just hope we play like the first 3/4 of the Maryland game and things will be fine. Let's go Hoosiers!!

3 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Watching Michigan vs Oregon….Dug McDaniel is a handful. If we can hold him to under 20 pts we should win. They don’t have much else.

The Nkamhoua kid can play... And Burnett has the talent...

Just depends how we respond on the road I guess...

If you remember last year, they had way more talent (Dickinson, Bufkin, Jett Howard) and led most of the game... We got like 8 straight stops and won it at the end... 

Edited by IUFLA

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The Nkamhoua kid can play... And Burnett has the talent...

Just depends how we respond on the road I guess...

If you remember last year, they had way more talent (Dickinson, Bufkin, Jett Howard) and led most of the game... We got like 8 straight stops and won it at the end... 

that was such a fun final 8 minutes. Michigan had only 1 FG during that stretch 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Watching Michigan vs Oregon….Dug McDaniel is a handful. If we can hold him to under 20 pts we should win. They don’t have much else.

“Should” win? I don’t know about that. Road game, good shooting three point team….. I think we “can” win, but prob not fair to say should.

• Like 7

Any word on Gabe? If he and X are both out that’s going to present a challenge. Having only three scholarship guards, two of which are Leal and Gunn, is a tough task to get a road win.

Our bigs have to dominate for us to win this IMO. We just don’t have the margin for error with a banged up backcourt to be anything less than stellar in the front court. We’ve got the guys to go do it, but we really need them to deliver.

I’d really love to see some growth from Malik. He’s great at scoring and interior passing, but he can really take another step as a player with rebounding and his overall passing. He just doesn’t see, or chooses to not throw it, guys that are open for three and often times he doesn’t see the easy inbounds pass either.

He can make the spectacular pass but he needs to make the easy one, that could really be a key to our offense being what we need it to be. 

14 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

“Should” win? I don’t know about that. Road game, good shooting three point team….. I think we “can” win, but prob not fair to say should.

If (a big if) we keep McDaniel in check and hold him under his average, we should win. He hit seven 3s against Oregon and single handily kept Michigan in the game. Just don’t see where else they hurt us. Of course, we have to play well too, which is tough on the road.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

One note: Jaelin Llewellyn who was brought in last year via the portal (Princeton grad transfer) to play the point and suffered an early season knee injury, missing the whole season, got his first game action in nearly a year against Oregon Sunday...They're still a little thin in back court depth...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 1