NCAA NET 23-24

27 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

it’s

hard to image OSU is at 54 

iowa 60

Maryland 77

The net makes no sense and I know we have waxed in a lot of games but our quad one and win loss record is as good as any team in the 10 to 12 seed range. The strength of schedule is also much better than any of those teams

Not saying we should be in but we certainly deserve to be looked at and a 2 more wins should make it interesting 

Getting your ass handed to you 6+ times by 12 and not beating very many teams by more than 12 has destroyed the NET for this team.  It is truly the only thing i can think of that is tanking them

Our NET ranking (93) is mainly so low because of our performances compared to expectation in our buy games early in the year, and our sizable double digit losses. At least that’s the easiest way I think I can explain how I understand it.

Which if you go back and look, there is a pretty big pool of games in which those 2 things apply. While I think it’s helpful, it’s flawed, and I do think the NET is overvalued.

If Indiana were to make a run to the BTT final and be left out with 21 wins (12 Q1/Q2) and winners of 7 of 8 in the Big Ten to end the year soley because of their NET.. Whereas an MSU team with the same record as us before the BTT at 18-13 is in the field probably with just one win in the BTT, we will all be pretty bummed.

I recommend this video below from Galen of CrimsonCast for anyone who’s interested. He does a very good job of explaining things in regards to IU’s metrics and the overall explanation on how it all works:

• Thanks 3

I miss having the eye test over metrics. All of these bubble teams are bad but will get over a team like ISU. By watching these teams you can tell who the better team is.

Also there is no way MSU should be ranked so high with a 18-13 record. It is ridiculous we are so much lower because we didn't blow out some bad teams.

• Like 2

Maryland blows out Rutgers and move up from 77 to 72 in the net

IU goes down  2 spots to 96 without playing and has 2 wins over Maryland. Of course we lost once to Rutgers but moving down seems ridiculous. The net needs to be tossed out. That is the only thing keeping this team out or consideration. Not saying we belong in just need to be in the conversation. It’s crazy we are so far behind teams like Maryland and OSU and Iowa. I know the margin of losses and victories aren’t that good but the number of victories match up and we are 5-0 against those teams

• Like 1

IU up to... 94 in the NET from 96. We were 93 the day after the MSU game.

5 Big Ten wins in a row and IU hasn't made much of a move in the NET. LOL.

Up a couple spots to 84 in Kenpom, and I believe 6 spots to 73 in Bart Torvik.

20 minutes ago, KDB said:

IU up to... 94 in the NET from 96. We were 93 the day after the MSU game.

5 Big Ten wins in a row and IU hasn't made much of a move in the NET. LOL.

Up a couple spots to 84 in Kenpom, and I believe 6 spots to 73 in Bart Torvik.

The fact we have won five in row 

2 wins over too 30 net teams 

2 road wins by double digits against higher ranked net teams

Net is a joke

• Like 2

You cant make this shiat up.

We have the same overall record as MSU

We have the same Quad 1 record as MSU.

We have a better Quad 2 record than MSU.

We own a head to head win over MSU.

We are 70 spots behind MSU in the NET.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

image.png.e8acbff24716184a2dbd89bdbb567ecb.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Yep....has been pissing me off for weeks and even more so now. 

Might be unpopular, but I agree with the NET, kenpom, and other advanced metrics assessment of this IU team. For 75% of the year, we played like one of the worst big ten teams, and really one of the 10-15 worst power conference teams. This last stretch we’ve played tourney caliber basketball, but you can’t ignore the first 3.5 months of the season. Even with this stretch, we’ve still probably only beat 2 at large tournament teams the whole year.

Better late than never, but this improvement in play needed to happen at least a month earlier if we wanted any shot at an at large bid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Might be unpopular, but I agree with the NET, kenpom, and other advanced metrics assessment of this IU team. For 75% of the year, we played like one of the worst big ten teams, and really one of the 10-15 worst power conference teams. This last stretch we’ve played tourney caliber basketball, but you can’t ignore the first 3.5 months of the season. Even with this stretch, we’ve still probably only beat 2 at large tournament teams the whole year.

Better late than never, but this improvement in play needed to happen at least a month earlier if we wanted any shot at an at large bid.

definitely gonna be flaws with any system, but this one is probably more accurate and fair than the old school way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The quads have 0 impact on the net, so not sure why referencing them proves anything. It’s pretty simple to see the difference in MSU vs IU. MSU has a lot of blowout wins, including over solid to good teams like Butler, Baylor, and ISU. They also only have 3 double digit losses, with none of them being by 20+ points. They also blew out every single 100+ rated team on their schedule.

IU has almost no blowout wins, and as we all know struggled in almost all of the games against inferior opponents. We also have 8 double digit losses, including 4 by 20+ points.

Any objective evaluation of MSU vs IU would show that MSU is the better team (which is what all the metrics show) with the better resume (which is why they’re in the tourney and we are not).

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Except on the court last Sunday :) 

A home win by 1 point doesn’t prove anything lol. And you can’t use head to head when evaluating 360 teams or you’d end up in a never ending loop. Penn State is 2-1 against us, but I’d bet we’re closer to an at large bid than they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Kdug said:

A home win by 1 point doesn’t prove anything lol. And you can’t use head to head when evaluating 360 teams or you’d end up in a never ending loop. Penn State is 2-1 against us, but I’d bet we’re closer to an at large bid than they are.

Note the words "on the court."

I understand by the metrics we're behind them...

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Don't you love computer geeks getting to determine who the best teams are. They never played the game yet they pick and choose what criteria to put into the formulas to get the rankings. I just don't get a ranking based on scoring margins because I that is about the only difference between us and MSU

Edited by IU Scott

14 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The metrics and betting numbers (and I suspect you) had IU losing all of the last five games, but go ahead and keep on keeping on.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Well if we want to determine everything by computers why play the games, just do simulations to determine the winners. I take the eye test over these stupid rankings any day. The team that will be hurt the most is ISU because a computer thinks a 18-14 power conference team deserves a bid over a 28-5 team.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The quads have 0 impact on the net, so not sure why referencing them proves anything. It’s pretty simple to see the difference in MSU vs IU. MSU has a lot of blowout wins, including over solid to good teams like Butler, Baylor, and ISU. They also only have 3 double digit losses, with none of them being by 20+ points. They also blew out every single 100+ rated team on their schedule.

IU has almost no blowout wins, and as we all know struggled in almost all of the games against inferior opponents. We also have 8 double digit losses, including 4 by 20+ points.

Any objective evaluation of MSU vs IU would show that MSU is the better team (which is what all the metrics show) with the better resume (which is why they’re in the tourney and we are not).

I get the margin of victory but not for 70 spots. We played in the conference played the same teams have the same record. 70 spots behind is ridiculous. We have 4 losses to the top 6 net teams and 3 more to top 22 net teams

thats 7 of the 13 to top 22 net teams

wins over 2 top 25 net teams. 

Not saying we belong in.  But we should be in the conversation. Overall record and win quality stack up to other bubble teams. 

• Like 1