NCAA NET 23-24

2 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I'm sorry, implying that playing vs Kansas, wherever we play them, isn't a good enough game for this team is sheer lunacy.

I don't think anyone implied that. The point was, under the NET system, you can schedule games and get equal upside, without scheduling a non-con game where you're likely to be a home dog. If fans want to see Kansas play in Bloomington, have at it, but that wasn't the point of the discussion. 

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don't think anyone implied that. The point was, under the NET system, you can schedule games and get equal upside, without scheduling a non-con game where you're likely to be a home dog. If fans want to see Kansas play in Bloomington, have at it, but that wasn't the point of the discussion. 

That's not completely true, though. While it's fair to say beating the N30 team at home and the N1 team at home are both quad 1 wins, which would look the same when they are showing how many wins you have in each quad, it isn't true to say they have the same impact. Beating N1 will have a great impact on your metrics than beating N30. 

23 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is a good article from The Atlantic regarding the NET:

https://theathletic.com/5096436/2023/12/01/net-ncaa-basketball-tournament-rankings-selection/?amp=1

The following is where I don’t think the IU athletic department and coaching staff have been strategic with their scheduling and the approach to games. It’s a fine line between developing a team early and posting big wins. I understand CMW’s philosophy, which has an NBA element, that a win is a win, but CBB is a different animal. I’ve argued in favor of scheduling winnable  neutral court and road games that will be Quad 1 games. Nothing statistically is gained from playing a neutral court game against UConn or a home game against Kansas. A neutral court game against Missouri would be a better strategic option. 

“The Mountain West, for example, changed its scheduling philosophy to avoid playing Quad 4 games and strengthen the league’s resumes so that once conference games began, all boats would be lifted. It worked brilliantly last season, as the conference got three at-large bids. Many coaches privately say that they instruct their teams to play hard until the end of blowouts, sometimes leaving starters in longer than necessary, to protect their efficiency numbers. Of course, there’s one formula that remains tried and true no matter what rankings system is in place: schedule hard and perform well.”

“You’ve got to win games, but you have to win the right games, too,” Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes says. “The metric has changed the whole thing over the last five years, and I’ve noticed it. You try to do the best that you can do.”

Emphasis mine.  I get the nuanced NET argument you're making, but at the end of the day, I just don't agree with the line here.

• 2 weeks later...

Iowa State is the perfect example of how blowout wins against bad teams helps your NET. 

They are currently NET #7. Overall record 8-2. 0-1 Quad 1, 1-1 Quad 2. Neutral court win over NET #108 VCU. Neutral court losses to NET #59 VA Tech and NET #23 TX A&M. 

They are 6-0 in Quad 4 games with 5 wins in the 30-50+ range. This ranks them well ahead of the teams they lost to on a neutral court. 

By comparison, Clemson is NET#11. They are 9-0, 3-0 Quad 1, 1-0 Quad 2. Have a win at NET#10 Alabama. Have only played three Quad 4 games (3-0), winning by an average of about 20 in those games. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

41 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Hoping and assuming this will change but nonetheless it’s painful to see this.

434C3ABC-CBF8-4446-B0A7-1BECFCCF0907.jpeg

I looked at Indiana State's resume and this is what I saw.

KenPom strength of schedule - 204 (IU is 76).  

Lost by 22 to Alabama (similar to IU's defeats against UConn and Auburn).

They do have some 30-40 point blowouts.  (IU doesn't).

I'm not saying their resume isnt strong.  Even KenPom has them 20 or so spots ahead of IU.

But, over 100 spots? The NET is seriously flawed.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not saying their resume isnt strong.  Even KenPom has them 20 or so spots ahead of IU.

Don’t disagree at all. It’s kind of shocking the tournament committee weighs the NET heavily. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For whatever reason, it seems to be worse this year than last when it comes to illogical rankings. Honestly, it’s borderline unusable.

Whatever change they made by taking scoring margin out in fact made scoring margin much, much more important than seemingly anything else.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The NET is seriously flawed.  

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Don’t disagree at all. It’s kind of shocking the tournament committee weighs the NET heavily. 

2 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Honestly, it’s borderline unusable.

My dudes, it's December 15th. Unlike kenpom, Sagarin (RIP) and many other ranking systems, the NET starts from scratch with ZERO data. So it's going to take more than 10 games or so to be usable. Check it again in mid January. Which is also when the pre-season data from those other systems has worked its way out of those rankings (and MSU will be lower than #33 in kenpom).

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

My dudes, it's December 15th. Unlike kenpom, Sagarin (RIP) and many other ranking systems, the NET starts from scratch with ZERO data. So it's going to take more than 10 games or so to be usable. Check it again in mid January. Which is also when the pre-season data from those other systems has worked its way out of those rankings (and MSU will be lower than #33 in kenpom).

A big question I have is, after the Hoosiers unload some whoop-ass on the Illini on January 27th, will the stupid NET rating still have us behind them.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A big question I have is, after the Hoosiers unload some whoop-ass on the Illini on January 27th, will the stupid NET rating still have us behind them.  

In all honestly i watched Illinois play i think last weekend.  They looked very talented and their offense moved allot and they looked to run. I think it was against Tennessee but i could be wrong.  I think they are maybe the 2nd best team in the B1G currenlty speaking.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Really needed that signature win yesterday. MSU jumped from 79 to 45 with the Baylor win

It was the margin of that win that really helped them.  If we can win these next three games by a large margin, they will not be considered "significant" wins but it would really improve our NET ranking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Look who is lurking just a few spots behind us in the NET.  Need a 20+ point victory in this one.

image.png.25c719e7260f2b9637b51c14978380f9.png

Didn’t realize Morehead was 8-3. Looks like 3 of their wins were to non D-1 teams, and 5 were to sub 200 ranked teams. All three loses were by 20+ to P5 teams, including a 23 point loss to Penn State.

A 20 point win is certainly possible if we play like we did vs Kansas. That’d probably jump us up 20+ spots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

This alone should cause the NCAA to th grow this sheety metric into the garbage.

The committee doesn’t look at the version of NET on 12/19. They use the version at the end of the year after 30+ games have been played. Any metric is going to be incredibly noisy with only 10 or so games played by each team, a lot of them being against bad competition. The whole reason all other advanced metrics have a preseason component that’s still baked in is to help reduce that noise and make the metric more accurate. The NET doesn’t do that because it’s not used until the end of the season anyway.

• Like 1