Transfers eligible immediately for next 14 days

Reacher

8 minutes ago, Reacher said:

They are going to set it up where schools are going to start making them sign non-compete clauses.  If you are my employee and can leave anytime....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Reacher said:

i can't imagine dealing with chemistry issues this far into a season.  as much as i always wanted as much talent as i could get as a coach, i can't imagine brining a kid in at this point and playing him in front of my guys who had been there all preseason and season.  

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They are going to set it up where schools are going to start making them sign non-compete clauses.  If you are my employee and can leave anytime....

The thing is, the NCAA and the universities are trying their best to keep from becoming considered employees. I don't see how you can make a non-employee sign a non-compete clause.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

In a world where most scholarships are one year agreements, the NCAA second transfer rule was never going to hold up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Something that needs curtailing in the business world not added to the collegiate athletics world! Don’t even get me started about Intellectual Property slavery!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Something that needs curtailing in the business world not added to the collegiate athletics world! Don’t even get me started about Intellectual Property slavery!

All I am saying is that these players are pushing things far enough that they are getting close to the "Find Out" side of things.

The NCAA or the colleges are eventually going to call them on this stuff.  They want to be paid pros without the "rules" that accompany that.  Eventually the schools that actually control the market are going to clamp down.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

All I am saying is that these players are pushing things far enough that they are getting close to the "Find Out" side of things.

The NCAA or the colleges are eventually going to call them on this stuff.  They want to be paid pros without the "rules" that accompany that.  Eventually the schools that actually control the market are going to clamp down.

I don’t see how schools can make athletes sign non competes if they’re not employees. There’s no way any judge would uphold that. In order for the NCAA to do anything about this, they’d have to acknowledge that they’re employees who are providing labor to their business. I can’t see the NCAA ever doing that willingly.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Would have to be someone who hadn't played yet this season. I know a PG at So Miss you guys could add...

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Non-competes are pretty hard to enforce. 

Yeah, but contracts aren't as hard.  Think of the Big 2 breaking away from the NCAA.  They can agree between themselves that players get 1 chance to leave and from there no poaching. A kid is free to attend the University if he transfers after that but they become ineligible players in the new Big 2.  They can go play in whatever is left of the NCAA but their access to the big money is cut off.

Eventually the schools will make moves to protect themselves.

46 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, but contracts aren't as hard.  Think of the Big 2 breaking away from the NCAA.  They can agree between themselves that players get 1 chance to leave and from there no poaching. A kid is free to attend the University if he transfers after that but they become ineligible players in the new Big 2.  They can go play in whatever is left of the NCAA but their access to the big money is cut off.

Maybe, but they’re probably paying them directly at that point which opens up a whole new can of worms for coaches. 

On 12/14/2023 at 8:44 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

i can't imagine dealing with chemistry issues this far into a season.  as much as i always wanted as much talent as i could get as a coach, i can't imagine brining a kid in at this point and playing him in front of my guys who had been there all preseason and season.  

Can they shoot? 

• Like 1

My problem is in high school I can go to 4 different high schools. I can transfer jobs as much as I want. If I’m a coach I can leave as much as I want (with a buyout). Maybe just add an NIL clause that if they leave they have to pay back a certain NIL buyout that is agreed upon between school an athlete but they have ability to transfer once a year.

4 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My problem is in high school I can go to 4 different high schools. I can transfer jobs as much as I want. If I’m a coach I can leave as much as I want (with a buyout). Maybe just add an NIL clause that if they leave they have to pay back a certain NIL buyout that is agreed upon between school an athlete but they have ability to transfer once a year.

Problem is, NIL collectives are structurally independent of schools... 

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

There are high school transfer rules.  They aren't always super strictly enforced but there are instances where kids have to sit.

3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can they though?  I think such restrictions would be viewed by the courts the same as the NCAA restrictions, and not valid/enforceable?  The NCAA is voluntary organization of universitities... what's the difference other than the number of schools?  Or is that a big enough difference?  I don't know.  IANAL

• Like 1